Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Fake cycle helmet tests (Fake Britain Episode 15)
  • tillydog
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04tt8kc/fake-britain-series-5-episode-15

First 10 minutes…

(Available until 4th Jan)

Interesting (and worrying) to see a genuine Giro compared to a copy.

Max deceleration allowed for head impact with a curb – 250g

Giro test result: 180g

Copy test result: over 1000g! (over maximum range of instrument) and the helmet broke in two.

Far from cosmetic differences.

globalti
    Free Member

Quite dramatic. I would never buy a helmet online anyway as I like to try them for fit, my head being rather long.

stanfree
    Free Member

Being a fool and a tight one at that I have the exact same helmet as In the tests , It’s now in the bin. Mine was from Aliexpress.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mine was from Aliexpress.

or a well known seller of knock off gear….

KonaTC
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seriously £9 for a lid and the alarm bell didn’t go off? (and it’s livestrong branded)

though at times I wonder if the brains of some people are worth a helmet 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

lolz at buying a helmet from Aliexpress

tillydog
    Free Member

… I have the exact same helmet as In the tests , It’s now in the bin…

^That makes me glad I posted the link.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Being a fool and a tight one at that I have the exact same helmet as In the tests , It’s now in the bin. Mine was from Aliexpress.

But up till now it’s been much better value than the real one 🙂

maccruiskeen

Mine was from Aliexpress.

If you’re buying safety equipment from Aliexpress you’ve obviously already a bang on the head, buying a proper helmet now is just shooting the horse after the gate has bolted. 😆

seadog101

What you pay for your lid is proportional to the value you place on your brain.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Though given the variety of high end lids that fail to pass various standards, is quite possibly inversely proportional to how much it protects you..

Suggsey
    Free Member

Shipped from China…….would never touch it with a barge pole…….if it looks too cheap, means it is too cheap for a reason…….it’s either stolen or fake!

brakes
    Free Member

not true, there must be a point at which low weight, aesthetics and cooling compromise safety.

Jamie
    Free Member

My Savant was £30. Not sure what that means.

mcnultycop

My OnOne helmet was £20. I fell off. It saved my head.

If it fits and it’s legit it’ll do me.

andy4d

Contemplated a fox flux from aliexpress but for this very reason decided against it, glad I did now.

plyphon
    Free Member

As an addition, it worth reporting clearly fake goods to eBay as they do review the listings.

Also, is it pronounced “geeh-roh” like in the program? I’ve been saying “Gy-ro”.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup it’s Geeh-roh, but it doesn’t really matter if English is your first language. It’s a bit like Pa-ris vs. Pa-ree, Porshe vs Porsher etc. It’s anglicized.

I guess a better example would be Biro, my guess is the Laszlo would pronounce it Beeh-roh.

julianwilson
    Free Member

http://bargaincycling.com uk seller, (found him after he spammed posted his great and toally legit deals on or local cycling fb pages) had a load of those giro knockoffs a while back, for just twice as much as you could have bought one from aliexpress.
    The website keeps crashing on my tablet but from what i can see the business model seems to be the same now. 😕

spooky_b329

Not particularly true though, is it?

What do we always look for in a new helmet?

Style, lightweight, vents? All of them?

A budget (genuine) £30 helmet will pass the tests with ease, a £100 one will have been pared down to the minimum weight, feature lots of thin ribs and probably will have lost the ‘ideal’ rounded smooth shape, (like the spikey back of my Bell Sweep) until the manufacturer decides that any further may risk it not passing the testing regime.

Hopefully I’ll be shot down but you don’t seem to hear of much innovation in cycle helmets, apart from clever new retention systems so the manufacturer can reduce the number of sizes they produce.

Now if they all jumped on that cardboard helmet concept or a foam material with the same properties and managed to combine it into a lighter and more vented lid than the current commuter/pisspot version perhaps we’d be getting somewhere.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, that’s the thing – legit helmets have to pass a standard*, the posh ones will be as light and aero and pared down as possible to scrape past the standard, the cheap ones will be overengineered to give plenty of safety factor. I forget where it is, but I think it was Snell who did some testing of helmets a few years ago, testing beyond the standards, and the safest helmets turned out to be cheap supermarket ones.

*And standards now are quite a bit lower than they used to be – the Snell tests were quite a bit stricter than the current standards. So, apart from materials degradation, an old helmet could be a lot safer than a new one.

sillyoldman

But higher end helmets tend to fit better, which will afford better protection.

Also – MIPS is interesting as we’ve seen helmets which go above and beyond the required safety standards for the first time as it allows the manufacturer to highlight a specific additional safety feature, rather than only chasing lighter weight and better venting within the required safety standards. Up until MIPS, these were the only quantifiable points of difference that brands could pursue, as additional safety can’t otherwise be gauged until a hierarchy of standards is introduced.

cookeaa

Yup, that’s the thing – legit helmets have to pass a standard*, the posh ones will be as light and aero and pared down as possible to scrape past the standard, the cheap ones will be overengineered to give plenty of safety factor. I forget where it is, but I think it was Snell who did some testing of helmets a few years ago, testing beyond the standards, and the safest helmets turned out to be cheap supermarket ones.

*And standards now are quite a bit lower than they used to be – the Snell tests were quite a bit stricter than the current standards. So, apart from materials degradation, an old helmet could be a lot safer than a new one.

I’m currentyl using a bottom of the range giro “Skyline” (Legit) minus it’s peak, more than any of my other helmets at the minute…

It’s my commuter lid but has become by default my Roadie lid and with a light stuck on top my default night-time MTBing lid too. I keep meaning to buy a posher roadie lid and demote the cheap one, but haven’t gotten round to it, now I’m thinking that maybe I’m better off staying at the cheap end of the (legit) market simply as it will afford me marginally more protection than some pared down, race-light effort, and I’m far less likely to end up buying a fake version of a bottom end lid…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I didn’t see the program but I’m wondering how widespread this issue is. Have any shops been rumbled selling fakes? I’m currently considering a pic trabec in iodine green. I’ve found one for £85 from fitness fm browns who I’ve never heard of.

jedimaster
    Free Member

wow thats shocking! thanks for sharing

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Fake cycle helmet tests (Fake Britain Episode 15)’ is closed to new replies.