Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fairlie, North Ayrshire
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Just moved up for a job. Any one live here? Any riding to be had? Never ventured this far north before!

Spin
    Free Member

Working at Hunterston by any chance?

Don’t know about really local stuff but there’s some decent if quite easy riding to be had at Cornalees Bridge. Also odd bits and bobs on the moors above Fairlie and Largs. Easy to get over to Arran too.

iainc

Some great riding on the Fairlie Moors. Nobeerinthefridge will be along shortly to tell you about it as its his home patch 🙂

pinetree
    Free Member

I’m from Fairlie 😀 I’d show you around, but I live in Plymouth now I’m afraid!

There’s loads of good riding to be had on the moors behind Fairlie- There’s a few lads on Trailscotland forum who ride there, and would be glad to welcome a new member.

Have a look up around Kelburn estate, as there’s a dh/enduro track being put in there by a few locals at the moment. It’s not finished, but what is there is pretty good. There’s loads of potential for trails to be built too, if you don’t mind getting your hands mucky.

I’d be happy to share directions to a few trails with you, if you want to email me: scott.bannister (at) hotmail.co.uk (minus spaces etc.)

Oh, one other thing about Fairlie: Watch out for the coal lorries! Yikes!

Cheers,
    Scott.

fisha
    Free Member

I live in Largs. There is a fair amount of riding that can be done int the area.

Quick kelburn explore to get you started:
    Go up the main entrance, get to the pay station, turn right and go along the gravel road heading back to fairlie, it’ll come to a hairpin to the left going back on itself. Follow that climb all the way up… It goes on for a good bit. Once you get to the top, you’ll come to a white building on the rot, and a small cross roads.

To the right goes to the house
    To the left goes towards Largs and comes out at the hailie brae corner at the cemetery
    Straight on goes through a field track and ends up at a wall

Go straight on till you get to the wall and jump the fence on the right and follow the new track to the right back towards fairlie… That track runs along the top line of kelburn estate. I generally follow it till you get to where the hill dips and cut back into the estate through old gates. Once back into the estate, follow the tracks in the direction towards Largs and as you come don them, you’ll come back across the main road ad that you did the big long climb up.

That should get you your bearings of the estate in general.

Also, there is the new wind farms… Access off the haylie brae road. Follow the track upto the turbines, and apparently there is a quad bike track that runs from them back down into kelburn estate. Nt found it myself ( not looked)

Basically look at an os map, google maps etc. Dotted paths are reasonably cyclable

fourbanger
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Working in the marina. Out tonight about 6 if anyone’s about.

iainc

fourbanger – Largs Marina or the shed at Fairlie ?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Shed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fourbanger, there’s a group of us riding fairlie moor tomorrow night, 7.15 at the wee carpark by fencebay smokehouse. Ka290eg.

We ride for about 90 minutes, and do a figure of 8, meaning 2 pretty stiff climbs up the moor road, but 2 really good descents as well. We ride here every midweek, not always a Wednesday, and some weekends as well, you’d be more than welcome to join us. The riding up on the moor is excellent, and due to the last fortnight being dry the trails are in fine order.

My email in profile if you want to know anything else.

Greg.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pinetree – any more info on the new tracks would be appreciated, and me and my mates would be up for helping out as well, email in prof.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

V interested as I grew up in west kilbride but never did a lot of riding. I know the dh track over nearer largs by the tennis courts but if there’s one behind kelburn that could be ace. All it takes is a hill and a will!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I was over at the dh at Largs a wee while back, doesn’t look as it if it is being ridden much, so there must be other places about. Give us a shout if ye fancy a ride Dan.

Shandy
    Free Member

I was visiting my wee sister in Largs last year and somebody went past us on the seafront on a DH bike – I was wondering where the trails were!!

andytherocketeer

Posting in here to bookmark it.

Seen a few people turn up on bikes for a post-ride pint once in the Mudhook. Didn’t occur to me to find out where they ride, but I assume it was up on the hills behind Kelburn somewhere.

I know the ride up in the route mentioned by fisha, up to the gate. Not been up there for *years* but I just remembered a huge iron gate. Didn’t pay attention to the fact that the wall was jumpable (we were up there in Landrovers).

Been up on the Dalry moor road *loads* of times. Quite a few tracks that are firm enough to ride (need a map to see what makes sense), but the bits between are boggy as heck, with some bits boggier still. Stunning view on a good day, even with Hunterston.

Next trip that way in August (for pyromania, but we’ll have bikes too ).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Andytherocketeer, feel free to email me if ye fancy getting shown round. What sort of pyromania are you in the area for?. Sounds interesting.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Big thanks to Greg and the lads for showing me the local routes the other night. Some cracking riding you’ve got there. Much appreciated! Left Scotland now, but will be back with a bike again in the future.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oli, nice to meet you, all the best working in the med, instead of fairlie! We were out tonight, trails are drier than a witches tit, incredibly fast.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fairlie, North Ayrshire’ is closed to new replies.