Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • FAIRWEATHER CYCLISTS!
  • jekkyl

ARE EVERYWHERE!
    Waddling up the road in their Sky top, which has finally seen the light of day since their wife bought it for Christmas because they bought a road bike and rode it twice last July.

Red in the face they pant up the road,
    Keep cycling fatty!

You’re not a cyclist, I was out here 3 times a week when it was 5 below and dark with ice all over the place.

(I’m joking of course, the more the merrier, at least they’re out there doing it, even it is only when the sun comes out.)

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂

Fatties out on bikes is overall a good thing.(I should know).

martinhutch

You called?

matt_outandabout

People on bikes is a Good Thing.

ahsat

People on bikes is a good thing, but I have seem some very interesting fairweather commuting of late – cycling on pavements outside of school, cycling 3-abreast down a busy 2-way cycle lane (at a snails pace!), having no idea how to use a roundabout (it was his right of way and I sat there for ages waving him out!). All for lots of people out (last night ride was really busy, in a good way), its great, but sometimes you do wonder!

hooli

Where do you stand on fat people who cycle in poor weather too 😉

jekkyl

vincienup
    Free Member

Definitely more people out there is good and definitely body shape matters not, it’s all about fun.

All of a sudden those local authority courses offering the equivalent of the old Cycling Proficiency seem like a good thing that many might do well to avail themselves of though, and if I’m really honest it can be a bit annoying some mornings if I’m running late not being able to drop the hammer properly because of wobblers and it’s very hard trying to persuade work that more lock up facilities are suddenly needed…

All in all a good thing though. 🙂

larrydavid
    Free Member

The work changing room is full of these types. Can’t get a space now. Where were they in the pissing rain cold winter!?

A disgrace.

wicki
    Free Member

Cycling is still taught in many French schools probably in all but i dont know that for sure.

superfli
    Free Member

Same with Motorbike commuters! Over the winter, probably 20 hardy motorbikes in my work bike park, now when I’m on lates (today), I struggle to get a spot – must be 50+ motorbikes 👿

lunge

It’s bloody great, people out all over the place, fat and thin, old and young, walkers, runners and cyclists, it awesome to see.

I just make sure I give the slower folks struggling up the climbs a smile and an encouraging word or 2, spread the love people, the more cyclists the better.

faustus

Same at my work, a lot busier recently. In an act of petty territorialism by me, I always claim ‘my’ space on the towel heater. I can’t abide these johnny-come-latelys hogging all the facilities…come the first rain in September, there are plenty of abandoned b-twins and boardmans all of a sudden. 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Welcome back Fairweather Riders!

ransos
    Free Member

ARE EVERYWHERE!

Good. More cyclists means more safety in numbers on my commute.

roverpig

Cycling is still taught in many French schools probably in all but i dont know that for sure

Isn’t it taught in English schools too?

Both our kids were taught it at primary school (one this year), but we’re in the land of the rising Sturgeon.

scandal42
    Free Member

Or more annoyed motorists that have been held up for longer and now see you as no better than the slow new comers.

Oh it’s a joy

binners

It did make me laugh when we got to the pub after a night ride last week. They’ve installed a jet washer – which is nice of them. A group of GGNNNAAAAARRRRR looking Enduro types turned up on some rather expensive looking full sussers, clearly…. like TOTALLY…..STOKED!!!!! …and proceeded to turn their bikes upside down and jet wash them for a good 5 minutes each.

I don’t know where all this mud was they must have found. In June. We seemed to have missed it. As we looked out our lightly flecked frames, it became apparent it must have been the very dangerous, and much feared invisible type.

I doubt they’d have been happy slogging through the axle-deep filth we’ve endured through the winter. Well….. the expensive bearings they were now relentlessly blasting full of high pressure water certainly wouldn’t 😆

Great to loads of people out though. Because the sun means most of them are smiling too

ahwiles
    Free Member

FAIRWEATHER CYCLISTS! – good work, you’re awesome, bikes are ace.

is that what you meant?

christhetall
    Free Member

Kielder 2011 – 11 hours of unrelenting rain – cured me of my misconception that it was fun to ride in all weathers. I had a big ride planned for Saturday, but a quick look at the weather forecast suggests I’ll be staying a home.

bros
    Free Member

Lunge has the right of it. Well said.

For every bike, it’s one less car, even if it is just for summer.

fin25
    Free Member

I used to be one of the fatties wobbling and struggling all over the place. Now I’m a fatty who doesn’t wobble or struggle and goes out in winter. I’m so awesome.

ThePinkster

hopefully more fairweather cyclist out now will mean more thoughtful drivers on the road once the weather inevitably changes again.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I just make sure I give the slower folks struggling up the climbs a smile and an encouraging word or 2

alternatively, sprint hard on the approach and breeze past quickly with a friendly ‘hello’ while pretending to not to be blowing. Gives them something to aspire to, especially on hills…

My commute is 50 miles return trip, I do save it for nice days…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I spent the winter slogging through the slop in the dark and cold at my local trails at Woburn, rarely saw a soul. Now they’re everywhere.

I’m all for it though, more the merrier, and at least I kept my fitness up over winter and can cheerily pass them while they blow out of their backsides.

sandwicheater

I got the top for my birthday and i’m just bigged boned I’ll have you know 😥

pictonroad

In a quite frankly idiotic twist I actually ride less in the Summer, there’s lots of other interesting things to do and I occasionally go out with the family (shudders).

In winter, there’s naff all else to do and I refuse to watch TV, might as well go and try and bend my femur on the singlespeed and revel in how niche and hardcore I am.

imnotverygood

I just make sure I give the slower folks struggling up the climbs a smile and an encouraging word or 2, spread the love people, the more cyclists the better.

I’m bad I know, but the other day I came across a group of people pushing their bikes up a steep bit. I obertook while whistling a merry tune 😀

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Don’t judge by appearances. I too have wobbly bits, go red in the face and wear my Sky top. I rode in on the bike all winter, swapping to the mountain bike to face the A6 traffic when it snowed.

techsmechs
    Free Member

I was out here 3 times a week when it was 5 below and dark with ice all over the place.

Ha – where were you the other 3 nights a week I was out? In my day you went out with coal in your shorts just to make sure you knew you were out!

Mutter mutter

Basil

As a recent recruit to the ranks of the fat, three year medal due soon. Due to the offence I have caused I will endeavour to cloak myself in the most sihouette reducing clothing I can find whilst enjoying my gentle exercise.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

igm

The fat is just so I can wear more hi-viz clothing when road riding.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I overtook someone on my Fatty on the road, with 8psi in my tyres last night.

Given my current level of fitness I had to check they’d not actually stopped as this really shouldn’t have happened!

edlong
    Free Member

Or more annoyed motorists that have been held up for longer and now see you as no better than the slow new comers.

That makes no sense – if some of the commuters who are normally in cars have switched to bikes, everyone will have been held up less, not more, surely?

dantsw13

Ah, but in ranty motorist land, the new free flowing traffic caused by less cars should have meant he could have let rip with his turbo, and showed off his cornering prowess. This was spoilt by an increase in cyclists getting in the bloody way even more than usual – faster drive home, but he now hates cyclists even more!!

ferrals
    Free Member

Fair weather cyclists are great, they pander to your ego by providing slow moving targets to pass 🙂

Especially when you overtake roadies while on the road on an mtb.

Duggan

I went for my first ride of the year the day before the clocks went forward so officially I was “riding through winter”

I find cycling in winter tedious as **** so just go running instead…getting out of bed in the pitch black when it’s raining to go cycling?! **** that

qwerty
    Free Member

It also means less clothing on, everyone, everywhere. This is both a good and bad thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘FAIRWEATHER CYCLISTS!’ is closed to new replies.