• This topic has 40 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Fair-flippin-play!
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Sometimes your immediate instinct is to gawp and titter but then you reflect for a moment and think, you know what, fair play to you fella. Honestly, I doth my cap.

That said the irony of the juxtaposition of man and bike won’t be lost on you lot.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sometimes your immediate instinct is to gawp and titter but then you reflect for a moment and think, you know what, fair play to you fella. Honestly, I doth my cap.

What? Why?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You know how there is always someone better than you at something. There is alsoprobably some fast bloke that is better at bikes than you…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pregnant man on fat bike?

Stoner
    Free Member

weapons-grade high-horsing incoming in 5…4…3…..

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

High horsing? On STW? Nah.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Are you blathering ‘cos he ain’t grinning® or because he’s a bit chunky?

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s just a nice pic of a bloke riding a bike.

Not too sure what your point is OP.

legend
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    weapons-grade high-horsing incoming in 5…4…3…..

Leading to mutually assured bell-endery

Northwind

While I like the sentiment, I feel it’s invalidated by saying “doth” instead of “doff”. U looser.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Their their, Northwind. Don’t be picky.

Anyway, the guy in the background seems to be enjoying the view of dat booty.

allthepies
    Free Member

Big unit on a fat unit.

leffeboy

While I like the sentiment, I feel it’s invalidated by saying “doth” instead of “doff”. U looser.

🙂 i’ve been resisting

jmatlock
    Free Member

Probably rides his bike more and to a higher standard than 90% of STW posters. This is a baffling thread.

tomhoward

High horsing? On STW? Nah.

Neigh, Shirley?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Their their, Northwind. Don’t be picky.

Where? Where?

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, where/when was the pic taken.
    That looks like an old mate in the background.
    You should see the Notts & Derby League, there are a few people who are not the average cyclist shape – but like you said, fair play to them, it’s great on the bike competing, not matter what age/shape you are.

molgrips
    Free Member

To rephrase my comment.. bit patronising, OP…

jmatlock
    Free Member

It’s beyond patronising. ‘Aren’t you brave for not caring what they all think of you’

I’m sure he will sleep better having been validated by you and given your blessing OP.

MoreCashThanDash

You can all just **** off

I thought I looked pretty cool in that pic!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    To rephrase my comment.. bit patronising, OP…

Yup.

vorlich
    Free Member

I doth my cap.

matt_outandabout

Is it his cap we are meant to be laughing at?

DiscJockey
    Free Member

When I saw the title, I thought it might be an update on Martin Ashton or someone equally unfortunate.

But this is just a photo of someone who’s probably a pretty good rider.

I quite like the Zappis kit – not seen that before.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Vorlich –

spot on mate, that’s the exact image I had in my mind when I first read this 😀

but we’ve all got a bit of Partridge in us haven’t we ?

postierich
    Free Member

needs to bring his brake levers in a bit!

jimjam
    Free Member

Hang on, what’s the issue here? Is it fair play because he’s a fat guy or fair play because he’s on a fat bike? If it’s fair play because he’s fat well whatever, he’s not that fat and he’s riding his bike. If it’s fair play because he’s on a fat bike, well that I do not get.

We’ve learned by this stage that fat and 27.5+ bikes roll well because rolling resistance is nothing to do with weight rather it’s to do with compounds and since it’s got the same rolling diameter as a 29er it should smooth out the bumps well. Since 29ers climb better than any other wheel size he should have an advantage there too with similar rolling dia, to say nothing of the increased grip and stability provided by larger wheels/tyres.

Now if he was hobbling himself by riding a 26″ or even a 27.5″ bike at what appears to be an XC or CX support race then fair enough. But since he’s riding what’s obviously a technologically superior bike which will make riding easier….I don’t get it.

jontykint
    Free Member

That said the irony of the juxtaposition of man and bike won’t be lost on you lot.

OP, A picture of a fat man on a fat bike is neither ironic nor juxtaposed, you big goon

choppersquad
    Free Member

I hope he doesn’t read this.
    Wouldn’t do his self confidence a lot of good.
    Saying that though, its obviously meant as a lighthearted joke by the OP.
    No need to flame him really.

onehundredthidiot

Thought it was going to be another rider’s vans troll.

Yeah levers need shifted in.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I know the rider, Steve, and was at that event (Zappi’s Didcot round of the Central League CX). He’s a top bloke, mechanic in a bike shop, has worked as team mechanic for BC Paralympics I think, and races trikes on the road 😯 . Very encouraging and supportive of everyone including rival club racers- he was giving Munqe chick who races for a different club time checks. I always used to think Zappis were a bit aloof and standoffish, but that event and people like Steve (and Zappi himself, having met him on the day) challenged those preconceptions.

I am fat bike curious, but not on that course!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the replies but have read enough to say I think I missed the mark with this post and would like to apologise.

Having been in a similar situation to this chap (I was grossly over weight) I was actually empathising with him and was genuinely feeling motivated and inspired by his effort.

But on reflection that did come across as patronising, so apologies to those that took offence and to the individual in the picture if this got back to him.

whitestone
    Free Member

“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.”

H. G. Wells

davidjey
    Free Member

Plenty of folk who are not exactly racing snakes turn up for our local cyclocross league, week in week out. That’s one of the great things about ‘cross.

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve known Steve for years and as above he is a top bloke, rides regularly and has done the spanner work for many people. Unlike a fair few on here he puts a lot back into all aspects of the sport.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Don’t worry geetee1972….. all we are seeing here is classic STW jostling to attain the moral high ground, while desperately trying to outdo each other in terms of political correctness.

I’m sure most of them enjoyed your picture really 😉

Sandwich

He’s going to accelerate quickly when the trail goes downhill. (This is my speciality too).

molgrips
    Free Member

Having been in a similar situation to this chap (I was grossly over weight) I was actually empathising with him and was genuinely feeling motivated and inspired by his effort.

GT, I also apologise – I understood your point, but I chose a pretty trolly way of making it, partly aiming for humour.

geetee1972
    Free Member

We’re all good then 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

Dude on a bike, that’s one more of us, and one less of them 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Fair-flippin-play!’ is closed to new replies.