Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Facts vs Reality
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

MrsWCA and I have been having our annual “It’s Cold outside so I am turning the heating up” vs “But we are inside and it is already too hot” debate for the last few months.

To add spice to this, and unbeknownst to both of us, the thermostat had an intermittent fault. This meant it would occasionally turn the heating on even when turned to minimum, ignore the temperature the thermostat was set to and just keep heating the house up and just recently it decided not to turn the heating on at all. It was this last situation that meant we got someone in to check the system and fix it.

All that it the background to the main point. I would say “It is so hot the paint is blistering off the walls” and she would say “Don’t be stupid, it is cold outside and the heating is only set to 20”

She based her statement on facts – The thermostat was set to 20
    I based my statement on reality – I was sweating and hot

Anyone else come across people who are happy to totally ignore the reality because of their “facts”?

wwaswas

every politician ever.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let’s face it, you are wrong. It has nothing to do with the thermostat

matt_outandabout

Big hitters on Stw vs mere forumites.

wrecker
    Free Member

Your wife is all sorts of wrong. If 20degC is warm enough at other times in the year, it’s warm enough in winter. There is no logic to turning the heating up because it’s cold outside, it won’t get warm (20degC) any quicker.

Klunk
    Free Member

20 degrees, that’s fooking tropical, when I was a lad…..

GrahamS

Do you not own a thermometer?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Your wife is all sorts of wrong. If 20degC is warm enough at other times in the year, it’s warm enough in winter. There is no logic to turning the heating up because it’s cold outside, it won’t get warm (20degC) any quicker.

Careful you don’t bruise your head bashing it against a brick wall while trying to explain that one to her

Do you not own a thermometer?
    No, I don’t need one. My wife tells me if it is hot or not

dragon
    Free Member

1) It is only 20 C at the sensor, could be colder elsewhere.

2) Feeling cold isn’t about absolute temperature there are other factors to consider also.

wrecker
    Free Member

Careful you don’t bruise your head bashing it against a brick wall while trying to explain that one to her

I know the story.
    Reminds me, I need to fit a destrat pump.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Reality: anthropic climate change/global pollution/mass extinction

Fact: ‘I hate those chicken little liberal pdeudo-sciencetards and their marxist ecogenda minority pablum. I’ll take my chances with gas-guzzling and a warmongering apocalyptic mythology from the Bronze Age because I’m special and chosen so am going to paradise after death and God told me the World and all the animals is mine to use up anyhoo. Gottit? Woohooo, back-off libtards!’

MoreCashThanDash

Self styled Big hitters on Stw vs mere forumites.

FTFY

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

1) It is only 20 C at the sensor, could be colder elsewhere.

We were in the living room with an open fire!

crankboy
    Free Member

my ex on a diet would not eat anything over 13% fat she would troff through 500 grams of a food that was 10% fat but get vehemently opposed to 100 grams of 20% fat not withstanding repeated explanations and indeed literal pie charts.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

We have this argument about the a/c (climate control) in the car.
    When it’s cold she cranks the temp up to 28 degrees because “it’ll warm up quicker”. After 10 minutes she’ll be moaning that it’s too hot and will turn it down to 15 so that it “cools down faster”.
    And so the cycle continues…
    I have tried explaining how climate control works but it falls on deaf ears.

wrecker
    Free Member

2) Feeling cold isn’t about absolute temperature there are other factors to consider also.

Yes but it’s an illusion. 20degC is 20degC. Wetbulb isn’t going to be much different now than it was when it was 12degC in november.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Fact : Safety guards on table saws get in the way, obscure your line of sight and make things more dangerous so I removed mine

Reality :

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Fact : Google pictures hates me so I am going to move to Flickr where everything works smoothly

Reality : See previous post

Should show

MrOvershoot

I think its a universally accepted truth that most* women feel the cold quicker than men & the concept of how heating or cooling a space works, gets lost between their ears & brain

*I said “most” just so the fine women of STW who do understand don’t lynch me

I’m glad you didn’t email me those pictures WCA

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just for my good friend MrO

Fact : Stop drinking and you will lose weight and feel better

Reality : + 2lbs and feel no different 🙁

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

mines set to come on at 1630 set to 16. I wear extra layer to keep me warm. Sometimes when its really cold it goes up to 18.

amedias
    Free Member

literal pie charts

I do hope you mean that and the charts were made of pies

mmmmm, pie….

wwaswas

mines set to come on at 1630 set to 16…Sometimes when its really cold it goes up to 18.

Surely if it’s 16 it’s 16?

I can understand switching it on early if you’re home and the temperatures are low but if you’re comfortable at 16 why would you turn it to 18 just because the external temperature is a bit lower?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Lucky b’stard moans about having a hot wife shocka.

scaredypants

Sometimes when its really cold it goes up to 18.

you mean when it’s really warm, right ? 😉

fasthaggis

Anyone else come across people who are happy to totally ignore the reality because of their “facts”?

Here on STW threads every day.
    The power and conviction of their righteousness should be plugged into the national grid.
    The repeat offenders are often hilarious.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Every cold season I get the same claptrap in the office: “Why can we not turn the radiators up beyond #3? it’s freezing in here”

#3 on the rad TRV = 21degC

The other one I get is Q “why is that Rad on in July?” – A “Tis the control rad and we run the heating for 1hr everyday to ensure the system is kept maintained and the pumps don’t seize – It’s the only one that heats up in a 3600sqM building”- “but that’s a waste of money/gas” – “not as much as the cost of a new pump if it seizes” – “but it is still a waste of gas” – oh dear lord.

Solo
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident – Member

She based her statement on facts – The thermostat was set to 20
    I based my statement on reality – I was sweating and hot

Simple, you are menopausal and an ambient air temp of 20 degrees C just about right.

😀

antigee

i reckon it’s inherited behaviour:

mother in law here last week in summer Aus’
    “it’s a bit hot (25degs with the aircon on) I’ll open the patio doors”

me “the thermometer says it’s 35degs outside so why let the hot air in?”
    we’d only just come in 🙁

me and mrs antigee in the family wagon
    me sweating “how come the climate control is set at 34degs?”
    mrs antigee “it was cold when i went swimming”
    me “why not leave it set at 20degs”
    mrs antigee “it was hot yesterday”

– this has been going on for years

Edukator
    Free Member

No thermostat. When it’s less than 18°C I fuel the wood burner. When it’s more than 20°c Madame fuels it. We have several thermometers of dubious accuracy and use the median one as a reference.

bencooper
    Free Member

See also:

It’s 18 degrees indoors. The thermostat is set to 22 degrees, so the heating is on.

OH turns the thermostat up because she’s cold.

wilburt
    Free Member

I recently tried to teach my daughter the principles of a thermostat in the hope should wouldnt adopt her mothers binary approach to its operation.

No luck..she’s very bright but there is some kind of logic breakdown that has questioning my my own, I think its one of the worlds great unknowns.

wilburt
    Free Member

Just to add though, as well as a digital thermostat that works well we have thermometers and whilst the temprature is stable around 21 degrees I too sometimes feel “cold” when its particulary cold outside.

Stoner
    Free Member

Solution: everyone in the house is too scared to fiddle with anything so I’m the king of the Heating Controls.

Mrs S has learnt how light a fire though. Pity she can never remember to put any logs on it…

takisawa2

We have a glass chopping board thing, that sits behind the tap on the sink.
    I always position it so the lower edge sits against the back of the tap, so any splashes run down & into the sink. But the wife always positions it so it sits against the lip around the back of the sink, meaning any splashes run down & sit around the aforementioned work surface – saink lip join. (The sink is properly sealed etc, even had 5 coats of lacquer on the cut edge).

To me its a no brainer, & despite the sink being well sealed, having it constantly wet, when it can be avoided, is just plain sense.
    To her, I am the sperm of the devil & should be told so at every opportunity.

Stoner, that’s bigger than our spare room!!!
    Do you beat your chest & roar FIRE, I’VE MADE FIRE when its lit ?

Edukator
    Free Member

Whenever I see Stoner’s place it makes me even more determined to be low tech. No batteries in my thermometers, they are all old-fashioned bulb type or bi-metal strip.

v8ninety

You people of logic will not win this. The ‘fact’ is that reality depends upon th individuals perception, which may be different to yours. (The ‘turn the heat up high to get the car to warm up quicker’ thing is irritating though).

wrecker
    Free Member

they are all old-fashioned bulb type or bi-metal strip

Change them often!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Facts vs Reality’ is closed to new replies.