Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Facing brake mounts/BB
  • madeupname
    Free Member

New frame comes with advice to face BB and disc brake mounts prior to building up.

With the correct kit, I assume this is easy?

No point me buying facing tools, but mildly worried LBS have potential to get it wrong if it’s one of their off days…. Would it be rude to ask to stay and watch?

No other bike shop within easy frame transporting distance.

beaker

I’ve never faced any of the frames that I’ve built up. Never had any issues with BB’s or disc brakes. Build it up, I reckon you’ll be fine.

dragon
    Free Member

Don’t bother unless there is paint splatter all over it. I hope it was cheap, as it is bloody cheek to pass facing the BB & disc mounts onto the customer to sort out.

dovebiker

Most factory-fresh frames I’ve built have been better finished than letting someone down your LBS loose with the gash, blunt tools they have in the workshop.

pickle
    Free Member

Had to get my BB faced on my last frame, cost £20 down my LBS who were superb.

Emailed the frame company and they sent me the £20 right away via PP

belugabob
    Free Member

@madeupname – which frame is it?

madeupname
    Free Member

@BelugaBob – it’s a Kinesis Pro6. V2 frame so maybe QC and paint is better than before but there seem to be reports in the past on the ‘net of ‘chippy’ paint, overspray on faces and threads etc…

Kinesis paperwork in box suggests getting everything faced and threads chased. Seems a possible shortcut on QC to me but I also wouldn’t recognise a faced brake mount if it bit me!

And I am hoping to avoid a thread on ‘why don’t my Spyres work?’

shandcycles
    Free Member

@madeupname where are you?

madeupname
    Free Member

@shandcycles – on my sofa. Why?

😛

madeupname
    Free Member

Hants/Dorset region, South coast…

shandcycles
    Free Member

ah, never mind!

madeupname
    Free Member

@shandcycles – thanks for the offer (I assume). It’s a bit out if my way…

Danger would be if I dropped by your place to get my frame checked, I’d leave 1) with at least one new frame and 2) be sleeping in this sofa for a while! Have neglected to tell the wife about this new bike yet….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last few were done, mate ran the LBS and took great care of his very nice chasing and facing tools 🙂
    A job best done by a methodical decent mechanic before friday beers 😉

wukfit
    Free Member

Charlie the bike monger is in Swanage
    £15 for bb facing according to the website

trail_rat
    Free Member

Most factory-fresh frames I’ve built have been better finished than letting someone down your LBS loose with the gash, blunt tools they have in the workshop

Either you buy really high end frames or have a shit lbs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Facing brake mounts/BB’ is closed to new replies.