• This topic has 29 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Facebook – tracking who reads your posts?
  • spacemonkey

Loads of people have recently been posting stuff, usually about sensitive topics, and saying “Please share … I’ll know who reads this and doesn’t share … blah blah”. Some even go on to say “… if you’re one of them, I will unfriend you.”

WTF?

Technically, I thought FB required you to do go through a load of hoops to extract the unique ID of anyone reading a particular post – and no normal human being is gonna do that. So surely this is BS? Only curious as some of my friends, even those I like to think are particularly astute, are posting this kind of sh1t.

FTR, I use FB from time to time, but am in no way hooked on it like some peeps.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I suspect there may be the occasional bit of bullshit on facebook. Just a hunch.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s BS. Clickbait usually.

scaredypants

see, that’s how come you’re a top supersleuth

I thought facebook just had loads of needy tossrags on it – who’d have thought there was bullshit too ?

jimjam
    Free Member

Copy and paste ****wits. Ignore.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s a gift scaredypants

bigblackshed

Clickbait usually.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

spacemonkey

My sentiments exactly.

Some people seem gullible enough to get caught up in this BS, yet think they’re encouraging an honourable behaviour. Seems odd to me. I’ve no issue with people sharing links/stories/etc with a moral purpose, but don’t instill a call to action from others.

allthepies
    Free Member

CFH – uncanny!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Allthepies

Where did you get a photo of me?!?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Genuine lol @ flashy!

allthepies
    Free Member

Facebook

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

😀

Cougar

Point the first, it’s copy and paste bobbins.

Point the second, anything that purports to give you “who reads your posts” type information is a scam / malware.

Point the third, WGAF? If you’re going to unfriend me for not passing on chain letters, good; you’re not my friend, you’re a blithering idiot and I’m better off without you.

tymbian
    Free Member

What Cougar said.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Chain letter stuff. Ignore. No matter how pleading it is and it’s from friend/family. They’ve been scammed also.

Copy & paste posts are intended to get something to go viral (often a hoax or “fake news”), without it getting shut down as a shared post could be. With the same text content it can rise up the trending league and boost the status of accounts or external web sites.

Asking to like or share is another scam, but that’s mainly to boost the profile of an account which will then be sold on to someone who wants to buy an account with thousands of likes. AKA like farming.

gears_suck
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

I thought facebook just had loads of needy tossrags on it –

Bit harsh, and quite sweeping don’t you think?

nickhit3
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

I thought facebook just had loads of needy tossrags on it –

its an accurate statement. I love my friends and family just not their online personas. Almost universally annoying. Binning it off was the best thing I’ve done for my health in the last 12 months.

barkm
    Free Member

fb encourages exactly the kind of behavior that led to this post 😀
    Concerning yourself too much about what others think of you.

I left, and like the metaphorical ex-smoker it makes me happy to point out how bad it is, and how good I feel now, breathing the fresh air of smug self-satisfaction and improved self-esteem 😆

Drac

Binning it off was the best thing I’ve done for my health in the last 12 months.

Kryton57

I left, and like the metaphorical ex-smoker it makes me happy to point out how bad it is, and how good I feel now, breathing the fresh air of smug self-satisfaction and improved self-esteem

+1. I’ve had two friends contact me now and say “if only you’d go back to facebook you’d see what I’m posting” at which point I mentioned that they could just tell me about it / email me the pic they wanted to see but no, if I want to see them I have to go back to FB apparantly. I’ll be seeing one tonight in the pub, I’m guessing he’ll tell me all about his holiday to cyprus anyway.

scaredypants

“loads of”, not “only”. (and) Only my opinion, obvz.

– I didn’t mean you; you’re one of the great ones. Please don’t unfriend me. I’ll share anything you want 😥

stumpy01

‘Like’ this image to pray for the injured child…….

scud
    Free Member

I have family in Essex who in the space of 10 minutes can post absolute hatred by Britain First, then next post will be please re-home this puppy at the dogs home as he deserves a hug….

I sometimes think that Facebook gives you an insight in to the lunatic some people are that they somehow manage to hide in person.

I have a weird relationship with it, i hate 90% of what i see on there, but that other 10% has given me some great bike events, stunning mountain photographs, music i wouldn’t have heard etc, its just a pity you have to wade through so much dirge to get there…

spacemonkey

Yes peeps, I’m in agreement with much of what you say.

I wasn’t posing the question because I give a shit. I really don’t. I just don’t get why some people – especially the real savvy ones – feel the need to post this kind of stuff. Some of it isn’t even viral – it’s stuff they’ve come up with and hope others share. It kinds of devalues any credibility within the message.

Anyway, the 10% of good stuff on FB IMO makes up for the 90% of tat.

Spin
    Free Member

Binning it off was the best thing I’ve done for my health in the last 12 months.

I’d suggest the unhealthy thing was not FB but your relationship with it.

Drac

I suggest he’s exaggerating some what.

aracer
    Free Member

I do wonder how people get such a load of rubbish on their FB timeline (not picking on you in particular, it seems to be a common theme, this was just a convenient comment to reply to). I have a wide variety of FB friends – some people I used to know well but haven’t seen in far too long (including several living in different countries) some people I’ve never even met who share interests some people who I’ve recently met in RL, and even some people on here. Yet I reckon at least 90% of my FB feed is stuff I actually find interesting. The only stuff which sometimes irritates is some of those friends in the US who I’ve never met are Trump supporters, but I’ve simply blocked the most obvious and irritating sites they share so I no longer see them.

What am I doing wrong that I don’t find FB irritating?

Drac

What am I doing wrong that I don’t find FB irritating?

You’re the type that likes the shite posts?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Facebook – tracking who reads your posts?’ is closed to new replies.