Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Facebook has ruined Instagram
  • awh
    Free Member

I was wondering why I’d seen virtually no photos of the Fort William DH on Instagram, turns out Facebook in the latest update to Instagram has changed it to a ‘top stories’ news feed and it knows better than me what I want to see! Has anyone worked out if there’s a way to switch it back to chronological ordering? How are you supposed to keep up with live events if the algorithm only decides 24hrs later it is a ‘top story’ photo?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Facebook has ruined Instagram

jambalaya
    Free Member

Top story helps them maximise advertising, no I don’t think fhere is a way to re-order you need to search manually afaik

Cougar

Has anyone worked out if there’s a way to switch it back to chronological ordering?

Dunno anything about Instagram, but on Facebook going to https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr will force the feed into chronological order rather than top stories.

awh
    Free Member

You didn’t like my tabloid title CFH? I thought it was appropriate for a thread of such importance 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If that isn’t an Edinburgh Defence, I salute you! 🙂

PrinceJohn

Thought they were going to but everyone on Instagram rebelled.

Mine are still in chronological order.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am still slighlty confused as to why we need both. Instagram was always just facebook with less chat and more photo filters

PrinceJohn

Apparently they are changing it 🙁

Instagram is was always my social media addiction. I like the fact it everything is in chronological order. My Facebook newsfeed often feels static in comparison to Instagram.

If you’re missing posts on Instagram and it bothers you follow less people.

awh
    Free Member

Presumably the ‘top stories’ algorithm will put all the photos with the most likes and views at the top. People who care about being seen or have sponsors to please etc. will start posting eye catching ‘tabloid’ photos which will change the feel of Instagram. And as I said above it’ll ruin seeing things happen in real-time like the DH.

I only follow 70 people, they don’t post enough for me to need my feed filtered!

PrinceJohn

My feed has updated now.

Ironically it feels like I’m missing out on photos as I don’t know how far back to go.

loddrik
    Free Member

Quite proud to say I have never used Facebook or instagram…

wwaswas

Quite proud to say I have never used Facebook or instagram…

Your Gaydar remains firmly aimed at premier league footballers Twitter feeds then?

chakaping
    Free Member

Still chronological for me.

woffle
    Free Member

Still chronological for me.

Everyone will be moved over eventually. FB are implementing globally and there’s no particular rhyme or reason to the order in which people’s feeds are being switched.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps it should be “Instagram has ruined photography”?

chakaping
    Free Member

By making it way more accessible and popular. The bastards.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Or

“Facebook has ruined the world as we once knew it”

kayak23

They can sod off forcing me to install the messenger app while they’re at it too 👿

woffle
    Free Member

They can sod off forcing me to install the messenger app while they’re at it too

agreed. I’ve already taken the main app off my phone. I’ll just stop using FB altogether eventually. No great loss

rOcKeTdOg

Bit sweary https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXhJrarGDX/
    My IG seems chronological

dragon
    Free Member

I’ll just stop using FB altogether eventually.

In my group of friends it seems to be suffering a slow death. Whereas people used to post regularly, now people seem to be going weeks or months between posts.

In the western world are we past peak social media?

kayak23

woffle – Member
    They can sod off forcing me to install the messenger app while they’re at it too
    agreed. I’ve already taken the main app off my phone. I’ll just stop using FB altogether eventually. No great loss

But how will you then update your status or like stuff?

welshfarmer

Save you link/tab that opens Facebook as follows and it will open as chronological

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr

Cougar

I’m amazed no-one else suggested that.

But how will you then update your status or like stuff?

Web site. The Facebook app is a resource hog. Messenger seems ok so long as you disable those bloody annoying ‘heads’ pop-ups.

chakaping
    Free Member

In the western world are we past peak social media?

UK social media use is growing by 3 or 4% per year.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

+ another

dragon
    Free Member

UK social media use is growing by 3 or 4% per year.

Defined by what time spent, number of users etc.? Also does that include company profiles as personal usage could fall while company usage increased or vice versa.

Data I saw for Facebook was a steady user base, but 7% drop in active usage. Although I suspect the stats aren’t the most robust.

chakaping
    Free Member

Defined by what time spent, number of users etc.? Also does that include company profiles as personal usage could fall while company usage increased or vice versa.

Sorry, you’ll have to look that up yourself.

Could it be possible you and your pals are just getting older?

There will always be plenty of youngsters joining social media channels and it stands to reason the market will grow as a whole via generational shift (older people being less likely to be posting Instabangers from the bingo hall or their trip to Llandudno).

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Facebook has ruined Instagram’ is closed to new replies.