Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Facebook, bad thing done?
  • onehundredthidiot

Is trolling the rabid atheists bad?

I’m thinking that some atheists are making jihadists and southern state baptists look positively sane.

So I declare that I am agnostic and a bit “mleh” on the whole subject.

druidh
    Free Member

What?

racefaceec90

nonsense,aggressive atheism ftw 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

Because Richard Dawkins (about the closest you can get to an atheist version of Bin Laden) is blatantly a terrorist…..

legend
    Free Member

No worse than trolling the God Squad 🙂

onehundredthidiot

druidh
    Free Member

Factual untruths?

bwaarp
    Free Member

I don’t believe he’s crashed any planes into towers though.

loum
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot

bwaarp. I don’t remember saying he did, nor do i remember southern baptists doing so. I was referring to his zeal not his acts of wanton destruction.

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t think many atheists are going around killing people in the name of atheism….

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d also hazard a guess that atheists are probably less likely to oppress women in tte name of atheism…

MSP

If Dawkins is as close as atheists get to bin laden, then that speaks very well for atheists, those with “beliefs” may want to look on and learn.

nick1962
    Free Member

rudebwoy
    Free Member

his Zeal is part of the dialectic he has with the creationists, fairy worshippers, charlatans, cultists, etc —

loddrik
    Free Member

When was the last time an ‘angry mob’ of atheists began a protest, which then turned violent, culminating in burning effigies of Mohammed and Jesus…?

fizzicist
    Free Member

trolling creationists is epic fun:)

glupton1976
    Free Member

“I claim myself to be Agnostic. Having listened to and read rabid atheists following their “non” belief system to zealous extreme that would make a fundamentalist blush. Feel free to insert the word “anti” in front of religious

” Religious zealots are often viewed as ignorant by agnostics’ because of their blind following of a supreme being which may or may not exist. Agnostics will often question the existence of a supreme power because a lot of modern religious beliefs have no basis in modern logic; therefore blind following of popular religions is viewed as an easy out for people who chose not to think for themselves.” 100th eejit 2012. 😀

AdamW
    Free Member

Obligatory xkcd:

Fundamental atheists

kimbers

v8ninety

They made a silly caricature of Dawkins!!!! They must burn! Kill them all!!!

Said no atheist, ever.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m thinking that some atheists are making jihadists and southern state baptists look positively sane.

I’m thinking that the lights go dimmer when y’all walk into a room.

MSP

The whole concept of “fundamentalist atheist” is just a propagandist fantasy to divert attention from the very real questions being asked about religions.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What with their evidence based thinking and all…

bwaarp
    Free Member

My real problem with religion is that the followers quite often don’t seem to understand one of my favourite film quotes. I don’t know…lots of people seem to me to be religious to try to avoid suffering or go to a better place. To me this is very selfish, anyway here’s the quote.

“Are you righteous? Kind? Does your confidence lie in this? Are you loved by all? Know that I was, too. Do you imagine your sufferings will be less because you loved goodness? Truth?” – The Thin Red Line

surfer
    Free Member

rabid atheists

That would be “atheists” then

following their “non” belief system

Playing fast and loose with the term “following” there arent we?

zealous extreme that would make a fundamentalist blush

“Extreme” dialogue? that what you mean?

Religious zealots are often viewed as ignorant by agnostics

So you are saying that as an agnostic you view such people as “ignorant”

I view agnostics as feeble minded by the way.

yunki
    Free Member

sorry to disappoint but whatever your view, expressing it on a facebook debate is like pissing into a vast and infinite ocean of absolute unutterable nothingness..

facebook is a medium for showing your Gran in Belgium your latest photos of her great grandchildren, or for posting pictures of yer mate in a state for your other mates to giggle at.. or organising school reunions.. or cupcake parties..
    it is not by any stretch of the imagination, a platform for idealogical debate.. although nearly a billion underachieving disaffected malcontents seem to think otherwise..

mogrim

it is not by any stretch of the imagination, a platform for idealogical debate.. although nearly a billion underachieving disaffected malcontents seem to think otherwise..

Those numbers would seem to suggest that you might, just possibly, be wrong.

surfer
    Free Member

And who are you to decide that? As a non Facebook user (I am familar with it) why is that much different to any other virtual debating place?
    Or are you being a bit sniffy..

nealglover
    Free Member

Or are you being a bit sniffy..

By the sound of it, a billion other people seem to think so.

llamaknob
    Free Member

Don’t think many atheists are going around killing people in the name of atheism….

+100000

yunki
    Free Member

use the facebook.. come back to me and make the same assertion surfer..

you’ve seen how laughable the debates on here get..

now multiply the number of users by a gazillion, decrease the IQ level by the same amount, remove moderation and, bingo!!

a facebook ‘debate’.. see also: youtube comments

you might, just possibly, be wrong.

I can assure you that it’s extremely unlikely.. 8)

tazzymtb

I agree with yunkmeister regarding facebook.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As with debates on helmets, I don’t normally wade in with this sort of thing, but I just don’t get it.

I don’t know how you leap from being in a world, sat watching telly to thinking “This must all be being controlled by something called a god”. How is that leap made based on no evidence whatsoever?

Atheists are generally the most peaceful people on earth, in fact they perhaps live their lives closest to the religious rules of being nice to each other because all they have to please is other people, not a god.

nealglover
    Free Member

Atheists are generally the most peaceful people on earth, in fact they perhaps live their lives closest to the religious rules of being nice to each other because all they have to please is other people, not a god.

Apart from those that take so much pleasure in being soooo superior and telling people “of faith” how stupid they are.

For believing in “sky faries” or whatever the current cool put down is.

tazzymtb

plus the fact that this is all there is, so atheists/agnostics/really couldn’t give a toss on way or the other-ers, tend live in the moment and enjoy people and their diversity rather than living to a set of twisted divisive morals designed to isolate those different to you and dominate the world to meet your view, safe in the knowledge that you will have a lovely fluffy afterlife once you’ve shagged this one up for everyone else.

yunki
    Free Member

I have to say that the Tazzmeastro seems to have a very valid point.. 😀

pcb
    Free Member

I’m not bothered either way about religion but generally the religious folk that I know are the ones who do more to help other people, street pasters mopping up the wasted atheists on a Saturday night, Samaritans listen to people who feel they have no hope at the end if the phone.

The whole religion causes war arguement is crap in the modern world. War is just caused by people with power who want more power.

yunki
    Free Member

pcb also makes a valid point..

can I add, that I think the whole group worship, with the singing, especially the happier versions with the dancing and clapping, look like extremely uplifting experiences..

I can’t think of too many regular athiest practices that encourage such spiritually invigorating activity..

tazzymtb

depends how you classify “religious war”

Francis Bacon said there were five causes for holy war: (he wrote in a Christian context, but the categories would be usable by any faith)

to spread the faith

to retrieve countries that were once Christian, even though there are no Christians left there

to rescue Christians in countries that were once Christian from ‘the servitude of the infidels’

recover and purify consecrated places that are presently being ‘polluted and profaned’

avenge blasphemous acts, or cruelties and killings of Christians (even if these took place long ago)

so in that context there have been no recent holy or religious wars in the west.

However the Arab-Israeli conflict, although strongly nationalistic is also heavily coloured by the inextricably linked religions, so religion can be a massive influencing factor in war and a major block to the peace process as those of other religions are seen as less human or to have less worth than the righteous who have god on their side, so why negotiate.

It should also be noted that all major current conflicts are between countries with differing religions as someone of a different belief system is a very convenient bogeyman for the hawks in all modern governments

So it’s not always people who “want more power” that start war, it’s “people who want more power and can gain mass support from their citizens by using religion as the easiest justification”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Facebook, bad thing done?’ is closed to new replies.