Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Facebook android app Vs browser
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

The Facebook app on my phone is rubbish. Runs slowly, and slows down the whole phone.
    It’s not down to network strength as viewing farcebook in Chrome is fine.
    Apart from the sheer joy of notifications that somebody out there likes something of mine, any reason not to dump the app?

Spin
    Free Member

I ditched the app on my tablet and went back to the browser for similar reasons. Also didn’t find it particularly user friendly.

nickjb
    Free Member

I dumped the offical app on my tablet as it was problematic. I’ve actually switched to a 3rd party app called tinfoil which is fine. Its not as good for features but it runs much better.

cp

Similar dislike of the fb app here.

on android you can’t do messaging through m.facebook.com through a browser, it insists on taking you to the play store to install fb messenger.

You can force desktop view and go to facebook.com which will let you message in the same way as on a desktop but it’s a bit clunky.

As long as you don’t use messaging much, the web interface is great IMO.

cp

PS. you may be able to find an apk online of an older fb app which has messaging build into it rather than the separate app, and generally interferes a lot less with your phone.

Rubber_Buccaneer

As long as you don’t use messaging much, the web interface is great IMO.

I was reluctant to have any facebook app on my Android phone but the messenger app hasn’t been a problem. I still use the browser for Facebooking

Cougar

The app was a contributing factor to my 2012 Nexus 7 dying, it rendered it unusable. The website is near-identical as far as I can tell.

miketually
    Free Member

Whenever my phone’s been getting a bit long in the tooth, the FB app has always been the first to go; it’s a huge piece of bloatware.

That Tinfoil for Facebook app mentioned above looks interesting.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve just uninstalled the Facebook app and installed Tinfoil.

xora

on android you can’t do messaging through m.facebook.com through a browser, it insists on taking you to the play store to install fb messenger.

Yes you can, use Firefox, install phony, set user agent to Firefox OS (which has no Facebook/Messenger app). Everything works as it should, no messenger app demands.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks
    Giving Tinfoil a go.

Cougar

Um, why not do that then? The messenger app is wholly different from the main Facebook app, it works fine (once you turn off the “weird disembodied floating heads” setting).

eskay

I was forced to have a FB account because my son’s coach uses messenger and I had to be included in the group.

I found the messenger app destroyed the performance on my phone, I installed an app called Metal (probably similar to tin foil). The only thing I use it for is messenger but it does the job well and does not bog down the phone.

cp

Um, why not do that then

I only use fb messenger very occasionally, so should rather not have an app that’s infamous for being process hungry and hard on the battery running in the background. Previous installs of fb messenger have had the messenger app near the top of the battery consumption chart.

Cougar

Sign out when you’re not using it, perhaps? I can’t see what it’d be doing in the background then.

scotroutes

I use the Messenger App on Android and it’s never at the top of my battery usage list.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Facebook android app Vs browser’ is closed to new replies.