Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • fabricators a little help here. I need something making.
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I need a think making for your camper van. Do fabricators take jobs from walk in people?
    I need a frame building for a roof bed in the camper van and it’s either I become really great at welding or, someone who is great at welding builds it for me.
    Don’t know where to start.

dovebiker

The better the detailed drawing you can give them then the more accurate your price – without one it will be pretty difficult to phone around and get some quotes. I’ve dealt with quite a few trades direct – most are happy for business if you know what you’re looking for.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

True, I can Imagine it and sketch it on paper but perhaps they’d like some deign work?

alexpalacefan

Hijack.
    I had some steels made for our lift-out bed.
    I drew some scale drawings with sections through as necessary.
    The welder was happy to quote from that.

But, I’ve been thinking of s drop down bed for the next van, and wondering about a lowering bed in the back, which will push up out of the way when out of use.
    What are you planning?

Alex

Matt_SS_xc

I have just done exactly that. Fabricator made our bed over boot framework and seating framework for the van.
    Took a few sessions going over drawings and then a few mods once made to adjust for a few things.
    Cost £680 for the 2 things. Really pleased with how it’s worked out. Super solid. Better then using wood and I can take in and out do the van in minutes if I wanted to….

If your near Okehampton in Devon the guy was great!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Our roof conversion for the Austops pop top roof was quoted at 300 for the bed, which as far as I can tell is a sheet of 18mm plywood and 1 inch of foam.
    Which we made for 50 quid. However the bed could be better if, it was lower to start with and had more foam padding. Hence the plan to make one lower using metal. I’d happily pay 300 for something clever or well designed, but 300 quid for a sheet of plywood?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘fabricators a little help here. I need something making.’ is closed to new replies.