Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Fabricating a bracket to mount a crud guard on a swing arm – anyone help?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Go a rear crud guard and want to fabricate a bracket to mount it round the seat stays on the swing arm of my prophet.

Anyone any ideas?

I thought an n shaped piece of metal with the crudguard bolted/riveted to it and this in turn attached to the seat stays using 2 light brackets. What do you think?

adey205
    Free Member

can you be a bit more specific dude

racing_ralph
    Free Member

in what sense? what do ya want to know?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

At the moment if i mount the guard on the seat tube it is too high and is in effective as it has to be high so i can drop the seat.

If i mount it on the seat stay then it will track with the wheel and cut out more spray.

DT78
    Free Member

I mounted mine below the seat clamp on the frame itself. Means I can move the saddle up and down without a problem…you tried that?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the wheel moves 5.5" up so a no go

DT78
    Free Member

far enough, it works ok on my nomad. Good luck with the project!

IA

The rear wheel at full compression comes pretty close to the seat-tube on a prophet, dunno you'd fit a guard in there.

Get some waterproof shorts.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

el_diablo
    Free Member

I keep thinking about this for my 5, but the swing arm is quite low on the 5, so the mud guard would have to be very long.
    If you just cut a mudguard off, in a straight line, drill a couple of holes in the edges and zip tie it on.

el_diablo
    Free Member

a bit like this, but longer????

racing_ralph
    Free Member

similar to that idea yes

mieszko
    Free Member

Basically You want to do a Race Blade style guard for a mtb. You could try with some wire a bit thicker than a coat-hanger, would be easy to bend and adjust and ziptie as well. Seems doable. Or even cut to size a rear SKS full mudguard and ziptie the ends (front one would be probably easier to cut and fit on the back).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

yes that sounds about right

goog
    Free Member

lol

Farticus

I took one of those Specialized Enduro things MFCat posted and cut a SKS Shockboard in half, then ziptied it to the Speccy thing. Worked a treat to keep the shock properly clean & actually looked tidy too, but wouldn't save your arse.

I've also ziptied half of a Manitou-fit SKS Shockboard to a Turner rear end – worked well for my son when he has 24" wheels but too short for 26".

No piccies to back any of this up, sadly. Haven't yet been able to do anything on a full susser other than mount a Crud Guard fairly high up.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Someone should mail the guys and gals at Crud to come up with one I would gladly buy one for a tenner. I stopped using the rears for off roading as it interferes with getting off the back end and dropping the post.
    Gonna cut down my £17 ebay army surplus waterproofs for the next ride.

genesis
    Free Member

Have thought a few times that a hugger like a motorbike would be a good idea.

jonb
    Free Member

I've already mailed the guys at crud a while ago.

I'd suggest trying to get hold of some of the reflector mounts or ligh mounts and see what you can work with those. A Seatstay mount would work for so many designs and look/work massively better than having it miles above the back wheel.

DO you have a seatstay bridge? You might find it easier to turn the moun through 90deg rather than split it in two.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

email them here:
    http://www.crudproducts.com/designers

I have done 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

No seat stay bridge – i thought about the split clamps that come with reflectors too

Suggsey
    Free Member

I just mailed them too and as I did so thought about the old front fender they used to do that had two tie wraps that held it on to the fork brace, its too short for the rear but would/should work on the rear in a similar adapted longer guise so suggested that to them. Got one in the garage so I am going to give it a go to see how much the short one cuts out.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Woop – keep emailing em and they may well sort it 🙂

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I think the problem is that there are too many different rear suspension designs to come up with a universal fit rear swingarm fitting mudguard. Your prophet has large square section type chainstays whereas that santa cruz has a round chainstay/seatstay swingarm, and then what about 4 bar type rear suspension, FSR etc, that short mud guard thing was for specialized bikes from, I think, 2002 to 2007, and they've changed the design now so that might not fit. some swingarms have a brace between the stays – so you could fit something there, but then some don't and are open. Too many variables, you could design one for specialized, one for santa cruz, one for cannondale, but then they go and discontinue or change the design next year making it obsolete.

Best to bodge your own on there, the older (first?) rear crud guard, if you can get one, could be useful as it had rear struts to attach to rear dropouts and you could fabricate something to go around the rear part of the swingarm and ziptie the front? I've got one of these but the rubbers have perished so I'm going to knock up some new struts and bodge it to my old heckler.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I was thinking something like an inverted crud fast fender with the clamps turned through 90 degrees

z1ppy

Sounds like you want one of these, but you'd need to make some bracket to fit it onto the swinging arm (as the prophet has no canti-brake mounts), but I'm sure that would be possible.
    Can't recommend these mudguards enough if you do have canti-mounts though.

If you can find some brackets that would do it, let us know as I'd stick one on my prophet too. Though going by the picture there may not be enough room behind the seat for it to fit… if i get chance I'll take a look and see if one would fit.

IA

I say again:

"The rear wheel at full compression comes pretty close to the seat-tube on a prophet, dunno you'd fit a guard in there."

I used to own a prophet, this isn't wild speculation. Take the shock out and measure the space at full compression – that's with 150mm i2i between the shock mounts. You'll need to take the shock out, cos even with no air in you'll never manage to hold the shock bottom out bumper compressed all the way whilst you measure.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

The crud fast fender looks a bit short, might keep a bit of muck off your seatpost and front mech but not your back?

I'm sure a while ago someone mentioned using a 29er rear mudguard, a full wrap-around mtb-width one, to make/bodge a decent rear off-road mud guard, might be worth looking at one of those to see if you can fettle it to fit??

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I know that but would have the guard away from the section near the seat tube

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

The rear wheel at full compression comes pretty close to the seat-tube on a prophet

wouldn't say that's a problem, sounds like the op wants to keep muck off his back so, if you look at the pick of the prophet, the guard could only need to cover from the one o'clock position back to 10 o'clock, so from the one o'clock position you could fabricate an inverted U shape to go down to the stays and that would clear the seattube?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

in one!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

The guard mentioned by zippy in collaboration with 2 clips off a reflector mount may work perfectly and still not look as shite as a crud guard half way up the seat tube.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Cracked it i think (pardon the cannondale pun 😉 )

If crud could make a low profile clamp marginally longer than the long clamp for a race guard (and a steeper angle – 45 degrees or so) but pointing UP then the race guard could be mounted on the seat tube not seat post.

This would not affect the bike under full compression and could be at most (ever 5.5") from the tyre and the seat post could be moved up and down at will 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Reply from Mr Crud himself:

Hi Rob

We get round this by using a joplin seatpost. Bit of an expensive solution admittedly, but after you've used one, you won't go back.

Tooling for a new clamp runs at about £20,000. We would have to sell a helluva lot of them to make it worthwile.
    Have fun with your fettling….I have lost days in the shed mucking about with bikes, especially in the winter.

Cheers
    Mr CRUD

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just had another thought – would this work?

My seatpost is 27.2, my seat tube is 31.8mm

If i buy a seatpost shim (27.2 – 31.8mm) and mount the crudguard on this with a QR at the top to secure it on the seat post. This would allow me to move my seatpost up and down (telescopic effect) with the crudguard staying in the same place.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

will this work in your opinion?

Frankers
    Free Member

You seem like a smart guy, why not make something from Meccano

goog
    Free Member

lol

Frankers
    Free Member

Rob – Member

will this work in your opinion?

Still think ya should give Meccano a go

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Fabricating a bracket to mount a crud guard on a swing arm – anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.