Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)
  • F1 time
  • legend
    Free Member

that sir, may be the weakest “xxxxxx team are shit” post I’ve ever read!

landofgiants
    Free Member

Didn’t go all out. I will now though!

It’s not that they are shit. It’s more that they are impossible to like. Soulless, gutless, charachterless whinging tossers.

Iv always been a McLaren fan. Probably due to the Senna era, but more recently Hamilton. They have class and style, and you don’t get this bollocks squabbling. And I don’t count the Prost/Senna era as squabbling, as both had balls and openly hated each other. Rather than “oooh sorry I passed Mark by mistake” or “Sebastian wasn’t supposed to pass me, oooh” (both said in Kenneth Williams stylee!)

Red Bull is a team made good by one man’s design. Adrian Newey has had succes everywhere he’s gone. So Red Bulls success is his amazing feat, not two tit average drivers, or a weak ass team leader.

Can’t wait til Newey goes elsewhere, or Hamilton starts sticking to them. Then listen to them piss and moan.

stufield
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

nickc – Member

It’s got nothing to do with nationality apart from the Old guy being British, and the others being Spanish or German

No, it hasn’t.
    So please stop telling me that I’m a xenophobe.

but the truth of it is revealed if you imagine the roles were reversed and it was Webber doing all the overtaking. Would this thread have been full of anti-webber vitriol? The answer is of course no, and the fact that Webber is Aus, is a minor one, clearly “we” like him, he’s a substitute Englishman in this instance, and a “good man” (obeys orders) and he has a face like a puppy who’s just done a whoopsie, whereas we’re more than happy to have Vettel as our panto villain, and better still he’s a dastardly Hun, he can no more help himself overtake against orders, than walk past a sausage, or wear leather shorts under his overalls….

You can keep repeating it all you like, it doesn’t make it true.

I could give you a list of my favourite drivers if you like.
    Most of them are not British.
    But there’s no point, you’ve already made your mind up, despite others politely telling you that you’re wrong.

legend
    Free Member

This is how you secure a championshio:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSgJDIsRnc[/video]

roady_tony
    Free Member

nice clip. when schumi did it he was a c***, but senna gets movies made of him and everyone admires him – hmmmmm

zokes
    Free Member

Nah, everyone loves Schumi now after his underdog swansong

clubber
    Free Member

Interesting isn’t it. A matter of charm? I could say it’s because Senna got killed but people were more accepting of his less positive character traits than they were/are with Schumi even before that.

I wonder if Senna would have done what Vettel did? I can’t help but think not though I reckon he’d have been haranguing the pit wall until they said yes, go through.

thepurist

I wonder if Senna would have done what Vettel did?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7UmvulEh8[/video]

I reckon that’s a yes.

Harry_the_Spider

I think Senna would have done it, but done it differently.

1) His team mate would have known it was coming and wouldn’t have slowed up thus making it easier for him to be caught.

2) Senna wouldn’t have tried to wriggle out of it with a cringe worthy apology. He’d have said something along the lines of “So what? I beat him. Man up.”

If Vettel had always intended to go for it he should have said so rather than allow Webber to believe that his position was safe.

Bernie and the sponsors will be loving this. I bet the viewing figures are higher for the next race as a result.

clubber
    Free Member

thepurist – I can’t see the vid – which one is it?

thepurist

clubber – ‘if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver… because we are competing, we are competing to win not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th’

clubber
    Free Member

That’s not like for like though is it. Webber had been told to slow and that Vettel wouldn’t be overtaking. It’s hardly a ‘proper’ racing move.

I reckon that Senna would have either said that he’d not agree to a team order to hold station or he’d have ignored the order and then said something about always racing to win but either way at least being open about it.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I think Senna would have done it, but done it differently.

Senna would have walked away from this era of the sport altogether. It’s not the same F1 that existed in Senna’s era and it’s not one Senna would have been a part of or been able to exist in.

clubber
    Free Member

No chance. It’s still the pinnacle of motor sport so he’d have been racing but probably complaining loudly about the bits he didn’t like.

FWIW, I think he’d have enjoyed some of the challenges of modern F1.

johndoh
    Free Member

Could Webber have turned his car back to full power though? Surely he knew pretty quickly that Vettel was racing for position (and his defensive tactics showed in the preceding corners that he knew Vettel was trying to get past).

So, if he could have turned it up, why didn’t he?

And if he did, then he was beaten fair and square.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a fair question and I don’t think it’s been answered but I can see that he might have been a bit caught out given that there was no reason to expect it.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s a nonsense. Modern karting does not breed the type of racer that senna used to be. He simply would not have been part of modern F1.

legend
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    It’s a fair question and I don’t think it’s been answered but I can see that he might have been a bit caught out given that there was no reason to expect it.

The battle went on for what, a lap and a half? If he was still caught out during the whole adventure then he deserved to lose.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, I only saw the highlights and barely that so maybe missed that it went on so long!

The fact though as I explained earlier was that Vettel was faster because aside from anything else, he was on the faster tyre. I don’t thing the issue is that really, more whether when the team says to do something and they’ve agreed it then they should do what they say – eg keeping your word. If the team had said to both, off you go, do what you want then fair enough. The team was VERY concerned that the tyres cold blow out if they raced (particularly if they flat spotted their tyres) so they had a pretty good reason to not want them to race.

johndoh
    Free Member

I think they were both turned right up and going as hard as they could, but Webber’s mentality had already reset to ‘cruise’ and was just taking that bit longer to tune back in to 100% race pace.

That and he simply isn’t as good as Vettel.

I am not sure how I feel about it all though really – yes there should be team agreements and it is daft to challenge and potentially put a team mate out of the race, but at the same time we want to see the best racer win and it made for some great racing.

legend
    Free Member

Serious question to those that think that Vettel was in the wrong – Would you have been happy watching that Grand Prix knowing that 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th had all been decided by the two front teams? Other than the fact that it would’ve made for the dullest 16 laps in history

clubber
    Free Member

Happy? Not really no but then I’d have preferred that all teams just run without team orders. This was a slightly unusual situation in recent times in that the teams were running in tandem. Team orders don’t tend to work very well between teams as is usually the case up front…

My issue is simply that they agreed something beforehand and then Vettel just chose to ignore it when it suited him. That’s not behaviour that I admire I’m afraid. If he’d refused beforehand to agree to ‘multi 21’ and would stick to it if the roles had been reversed then that’d be fine.

dullest 16 laps in history

Did you watch F1 in the 2000s? 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

but the truth of it is revealed if you imagine the roles were reversed and it was Webber doing all the overtaking. Would this thread have been full of anti-webber vitriol? The answer is of course no,

What a new angle to the troll now 🙄 I disagree with your prophecy re the answer as the nationality is irrelevant to eveyone but you who wish to labour the point to death

and the fact that Webber is Aus, is a minor one, clearly “we” like him, he’s a substitute Englishman in this instance, and a “good man”

Ah substitute englishman you say – your “racism” shines through for I am British but not english – I assume I should, in your myopic world view, hate them both and perhaps webber more for being “english”.
    Its a very weak argument you make though i expect you to continue labouring it.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d say that any favouritism towards Webber would be on account of his ‘tell it how it is’ character and the fact that many people feel he’s been unfairly treated by RB at times. If you consider those national characteristics, then maybe you have a point 🙂

roady_tony
    Free Member

re: Senna

to be honest Modern F1 would be a different place, as a lot of the issues from Modern F1 came directly from his death, so if he had been around, it would be different.

I also believe that even if Senna had left the driving seat, he would still have been in F1 and perhaps steered it towards a different direction.
    It was certainly interesting to see him mellow a little in the latter years of his driving career and work more pro-actively in driver safety (considering what he’d done to Prost and his more youthful attitude of go-for-broke regardless of cost…) and would certainly have been very interesting to see how he could have influenced the sport as an ex-driver. i wonder if he would have been where Todt is today?

As for Senna and the Team Order – he would not have been in that position because the entire Team would have been built around him and he would have been about 32 seconds ahead of Webber from the first few laps in the mixed conditions (yeah i remember DONNINGTON too, probably the greatest drive i ever saw) 🙂

nickc

Junky, do you ever think to yourself, “I really must take things more seriously…I’m far too fippant”

ever..at all?

mashiehood
    Free Member

i grew up hating prost and senna for making F1 predictable, with only Mansell and (sometimes) Piquet upsetting the cart! We are fortunate today of having drivers quite evenly matched (Lewis, Seb, Fernando, Button, Webber, Robsberg, Kimi, the list goes on). In part that is due to the regulations and the tyres. I am really enjoying this era of F1 and long may it continue.

As for the note earlier about Red bull being a bunch a **** and a one man show (Newey). Utter nonsense, Adrians car at Leyton House was a shocker, one of the McLarens never made it to a race track it was so bad………..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junky, do you ever think to yourself, “I really must take things more seriously…I’m far too fippant”

ever..at all?

do you ever think that when you can no longer defend your view that doing ad home on me does not make you or your view look any better.
    What shame you cannot admit the stupidity of your original statment and I feel sure your brave attempt to call me names when floundering will fool everyone…..why not go for a full house and play the Edinburgh defence for the racism claim?

landofgiants
    Free Member

“Adrians car at Leyton House was a shocker, one of the McLarens never made it to a race track it was so bad………..”

Mashiehood. Leyton house! This was in the 80’s! 30 years ago! The poor sod can only have been in his 20’s! How good were you at your job in your early career? And March were hardly a disaster. For a low budget team, their results were decent, in a time when there were 15 plus teams on the grid.

As for his time at McLaren, that was hardly awful either. World title in 98? Mika Hakkinen had success in Neweys cars, and they even made Coulthard competitive!

I think you’ve totally missed the point. Look at the Williams years alone. The fw14-19 were unbelievable. Watch any race from the 1993 season, the advances which were later made illegal were embarrassingly awesome.

Then we come onto Red Bull. A team of nobody’s. Two average drivers. (Coulthard was at red bull before he retired remember!!, and he was always shite!) Then a couple of years later, 3 consecutive world titles.

No one guy has had a bigger influence on f1 car design. Credit where its due.

So there!

legend
    Free Member

No one guy has had a bigger influence on f1 car design.

I was with you right up until you forgot about Colin Chapman

landofgiants
    Free Member

Colin Chapmans a damn fine call. Although his innovations were revolutionary, a lot of legendary drivers lost their lives in his radical cars.

mashiehood
    Free Member

landofgiants
    newey is undoubtedly a great designer, an amazing aero designer but you need to remember a few other, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne, John Barnard, Patrick Head, Colin Chapman, Harvey Posthlwaite, Neil Oatley etc. were also great designers and have designed amazing cars, consistently.

The point im making is you also need a team to achieve greatness and the Red Bull team is a great team full of very talented people. i am a big fan, but im also a fan of Williams and Ferrari.

landofgiants
    Free Member

I can go with that. I just think that in a time when the margins between the teams is so fine. For that team to stand above many seasoned teams, that man is the deciding factor.

Id like to see what he could do at a Marussia or a Caterham!

satchm00
    Free Member

landofgiants
    Free Member

😀

nickc

That’s a no then…

Really, lighten up chap. I haven’t attacked you, If I wanted to make a serious point d’you really think comparing some-ones face to a puppy who’s done a whoopies is the way I’d do it?

do try to stop filtering other peoples posts and responses through your own viewpoint, other people think and act differently and have different motivations. OK?

zokes
    Free Member

Really, lighten up chap.

Perhaps retract your pointless and defamatory statement, then he might.

Pook

Zokes, do you ever think to yourself, “I really must take things more seriously…I’m far too fippant”

ever..at all?

😉

sputnik
    Free Member

To you guys who cry ” real ” racing is lost , do you agree that what we want is One set of tyres, One tank of petrol and less laps will give us the best solution?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘F1 time’ is closed to new replies.