Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • F1 rule changes for 2014
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

As I once read in a Viz Top Tip, before the start of every race, each driver must eat a square of laxative chocolate for each championship point he has.

richmtb

Double points in the final race is a stupid idea

Should they change football to make goals in the last five minutes of the game count double so there are less draws. No that would be mental.

If the want to liven up F1 with stupid ideas then how about red and green shells that the driver collect by driving over special squares on the race track?

legend
    Free Member

Yay, one step closer to (the previously mentioned) “Competition Yellows”!

bails

Should they change football to make goals in the last five minutes of the game count double so there are less draws. No that would be mental

Remember the Budweiser advert?
    “EXTRA TIME MULTI-BALL!”

sharkbait
    Free Member

Double points in the last race has been done in sailing for quite a while now – usually with just the top 10 boats doing the last race.
    It’s an ‘interesting’ concept and keeps the event more open but e I’m not really a fan. I’m not sure how it would work with the F1 points system also as sailing is generally 1st = 1 point, 2nd = 2 points, etc. with the low points winning.

Pigface
    Free Member

Are any of the F1 appologists going to suport this rubbish, they have tried to defend the artificial overtaking device I want to hear them defend double points because its the last race of the year. Utter utter bobbins

thepurist

pigface – when the world champion says it’s a stupid idea I think you’ve got to go along with him. I suspect Bernie wanted to push this through like his medals idea, which IIRC curiously also appeared at a time when f1 wasn’t in the news much before getting overturned later because the rest of the world hated it.

igm

“EXTRA TIME MULTI-BALL!”

Nike?

orena45

zokes – Member
    The best thing they could do would be to randomly have sprinklers on some parts of the circuits

That was one of Bernie’s ideas only a few years ago 🙄

maxtorque

thisisnotaspoon
    Bigger tyres don’t give (proportionally) more grip, they just don’t melt i.e. the surface area of the rear tyres is just there to dissipate the heat generated by putting 800hp through them. Or so said my A-level physics teacher.

Which is probably why he is a school teacher and not a principal F1 engineer………… 😉

back2basics
    Free Member

double points,
    stupid idea. smacks of money grabbing from tv. they should try and improve the show for the entire season, not some artificial sh** like this . makes a mockery of even watching the season if something daft were to happen at the last race and someone down in spot 7 takes the title after someone else giving it all most of the season.

the backlash if that happened would be immense,

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d love to know, if F1 car development had been allowed to continue with no restrictions, just how much faster would cars be now? Obviously has a few safety implications, but can’t help wondering.

One of the downsides with modern narrower tyres, I believe’ is that the manufacturers made the sidewalls square and stiffer to maximise the area of the contact patch. Older, wider tyres had rounder profiles and flexed more, resulting in some great drifting moments around corners. Now that was much better entertainment!

retro83
    Free Member

piedi di formaggio – Member

One of the downsides with modern narrower tyres, I believe’ is that the manufacturers made the sidewalls square and stiffer to maximise the area of the contact patch. Older, wider tyres had rounder profiles and flexed more, resulting in some great drifting moments around corners. Now that was much better entertainment!

Probably true but part of the reason they can’t do that now is again down to aero. As soon as the car is not moving forwards through the air, the level of downforce decreases massively. So instead of a controllable slide you get grip, grip, grip, NOTHING!

(Hasten to add this is purely from what I’ve been told by a friend who has raced single seaters in formula Renault and some other series.)

njee20
    Free Member

makes a mockery of even watching the season if something daft were to happen at the last race and someone down in spot 7 takes the title after someone else giving it all most of the season.

It’s only double points and not 10 times as many!

Vettel wrapped up this year with 3 GPs to go, if there were an additional 25 points to win he’d have still won with 2 races to go. Meh.

back2basics
    Free Member

is it double points for the winner? or for all places???

clubber
    Free Member

All places.

I’m not a fan. Particularly if applied to a crap track.

stcolin
    Free Member

When are we likely to see the 2014 cars?

clubber
    Free Member

First test (or launch) whichever comes first. Late Jan, early Feb usually IIRC.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Which is probably why he is a school teacher and not a principal F1 engineer…………

I dunno, it works as a thought experiment, the braking is far more rapid than the acceleration, and often combined with cornering. So if big tyres gave more grip, they’d have biger front tyres. But you’re on the throttle more than the brake so more work is done overall at the back, so need more cooling.

That and friction (in an ideal world) being independant af area.

Northwind

bails – Member

“EXTRA TIME MULTI-BALL!”

I’d watch a lot more football if they did this. And the monster trucks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

F1 tyre sizes are regulated so no option to fit bigger tyres. And also in reality grip and friction are not the same thing, friction is one component of grip. These physics formulas are often simplified and assume perfect conditions which simply don’t exist in the real world. In the real world things are a bit more complex and basic equations don’t explain reality that accurately. They merely provide a foundation of understanding. So basically bigger tyres and a larger contact patch does increase grip in reality. Materials in contact have a very complex physical interaction which is not explained by the equation for friction on its own. An MTB tyre doesn’t grip a loose surface through friction alone, it physically interacts with the ground and the nobbles lock into bumps and divots in the ground. A similar thing is happening between an F1 tyre and a race track, minute surface imperfections between the tyre and track surface are interlocking, so friction is not the only component of grip and a larger tyre does provide more grip.

Engineering is far more complex than blindly applying text book equations. If it were that simple we’d all be engineers and top F1 designers.

thepurist

I see there’s also going to be a trophy for the most pole positions next year.. what is the point of that? More tosh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I see there’s also going to be a trophy for the most pole positions next year.. what is the point of that? More tosh.

One step away from 2 races on sunday and reversing the grid? Make it worthwhile throwing your 1st race by winning the qualifying, but having to start in 10th (assuming they just reverse the top ten)? Then reverse the finishing order for the 2nd start.

I.e. qualify 1st, start 10th, finish 3rd (ish), start 7th, win (ish).

And give equal points for each ‘race’ all the way back (start at 100 for a win, then 70, 50, 40, 30, 20, 19, 18 etc) so theres no incentive to throw you race for a good start in the next. So a perfect weekend would get 300 points.

Would make it a bit more interesting with no pit stops at all except for damage or wets.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘F1 rule changes for 2014’ is closed to new replies.