Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • F1 – It's Car Launch Week
  • clubber
    Free Member

No but they do have it this year, hidden under the panel.

“Lol-ing at being miffed at Ferrari and Schumacher for being too good.”
    Not what I was miffed about but that’s a separate subject and well discussed previously…

legend
    Free Member

Ferrari looks ok until you see the hhuuugggeee uprights for the front wing!

rossi46
    Free Member

Thats a nice looking Ferrari! I’d like to see the McLaren shinier, you know the mirror silver of recent times… 😉

I think…….

Alonso to win the championship, but Vettel scrapping hard and Kimi getting the boot in aswell. I’d like to say Button for the championship, but he has to sort his Saturdays out- hope he can do it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Supposedly the Pirellis this year will have a wider operating temperature but also more wear which in theory (!) would suit Button in getting a decent qualifying and more consistent race performance.

Let’s hope for another year where RB, Ferrari, McL and Lotus all produce closely performing cars so that the drivers can really fight it out. (and ideally Merc but I can’t see them being consistently up there just yet).

the-muffin-man

There a bit of speculation that Ferrari may be exploiting this loophole (as the nose seems higher than the others) – From ScarbsF1

One means to circumvent the 2012\2013 nose rules is to use the fairing in a more aggressive way. The nose structure that forms the crash protection must not be higher than 550mm above the floor. However more airflow could be forced under the car for more downforce if the nose were higher. As the fairing is allowed to be as high as 625mm, this could form a new nose tip 75mm higher than the rules intended. With a shorter structure nose cone, the modesty fairing could instead be shaped to form a very high nose for better aerodynamic performance. This is likely to be viewed as marginal on the rules, but the rules do not preclude it.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/01/30/analysis-2013-f1-rules-and-trends/

clubber
    Free Member

I did wonder that when I saw the pic – the nose does look quite flat although it’s clearly dropped towards the very front.

rossi46
    Free Member

I’d like to see the McLaren shinier

Hang on, iv’e seen more pics- the magpie in me is happy now 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I think McL have agreed with Merc that McL will be shiny/bright silver while Merc is more matt – I guess that that works historically as the story is that the silver Merc colour originally came from a time when they stripped all the paint off their cars to save weight leaving aluminium which would be dull silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Arrows

Weight story

A story exists that the origin of the Silver Arrows was accidental. The international governing body of motor sport prescribed for 1934 onwards a maximum weight limit of 750 kilograms for Grand Prix racing cars, excluding tyres and fuel. It is said that when in spring 1934 the Mercedes-Benz team placed its new Mercedes-Benz W25 on the scrutineering scales prior to the Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring, it allegedly recorded 751 kg (1,656 lb). Racing manager Alfred Neubauer and his driver Manfred von Brauchitsch, who both later published their memoires, claimed that they had the idea of scraping all the white paint from the bodywork. The story continues that the next day the shining silver aluminium beneath was exposed and scrutineering was passed. After the 350 hp (260 kW) car of v. Brauchitsch won the race, the nickname Silver Arrow was born, according to the legend.

[edit] Weight story disputed

This story did not appear until Alfred Neubauer’s biography was published in 1958, and no reference to it has been found in contemporary sources. It since has been established that von Brauchitsch in 1932 had raced a streamlined SSKL on the AVUS which was called Silver Arrow in live radio coverage. Also, in 1934, both Mercedes and Auto Union had entered the Avusrennen, but the Mercedes cars were not able to start, and Auto Union did not succeed either. The next big event was the Eifelrennen, but as few cars complying to the new rules were ready, it was held for Formule Libre, so weight was no issue at that time.[1]

the-muffin-man

I’ve just done a quick side on comparison in photoshop and the Ferrari seems to be a good few cm higher at the front than the Mclaren.

clubber
    Free Member

The Force India too – nice to see another vanity panel (as I wasn’t expecting many this year)

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/force-india-vjm06-revealed-at-silverstone/

So will the RB have one? I can’t see it unless Adrian Newey can find a performance advantage – as suggested by scarbs for example.

jota180
    Free Member

CountZero

Suzi will show her bottom quite a lot. I will watch a few races, and fall asleep each time, waking up to find the kids have drawn willies on my face in marker pen.

I lol’d at that! Very funny. 😆

Kryton57

Re this vanity panel – it comes off during the race but is there for the photo’s – is that right?

jota180
    Free Member

Re this vanity panel – it comes off during the race but is there for the photo’s – is that right?

Not that I’m aware of
    The reason Lotus gave for not using one was weight and see the piece above from ScarbsF1

clubber
    Free Member

it’s to make the cars look better. it’s not allowed to be structural so in a crash, it’ll just fly off. So it will be on the car in the race.

basically the designers want the chassis high to allow air under while the rules dictate a Max height forward of the wheels to try and avoid drivers being hit by another car’s nose in a crash, hence the stepped noses. the vanity panels are over that Max height but because they’re not structural, they shouldn’t cause injury.

the-muffin-man

New Sauber looks pretty tasty – and those side pods are very narrow. Look at the gap between the front edge of the side pods and the sticky-up aero bits* – space for mini winglets in there perhaps…

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/02/02/sauber-c32-launch-pictures/

(*official technical terminology!)

chewkw
    Free Member

Hope Kimi Räikkönen kick their backsides this year …

stumpy01

Has someone polished the tyres on that Sauber?! 🙂

The Ferrari’s always look overly fussy to me. Don’t know if it’s the aero bits or the livery, but a lot of the other cars appear a lot ‘cleaner’.

jota180
    Free Member

Purple no less

roady_tony
    Free Member

webber smiles as he collects yet another pension cheque from red bull 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Not many photos of the new Merc yet

the-muffin-man

I feel quite sorry for Lewis – not only will he be racing in the mid-field this year – it now looks like he’ll have to use a Blackberry as well!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Horrendous looking nose on the W04…no vanity panel there and pretty ugly overall.

Nose looks a bit like this one:

clubber
    Free Member

There is a vanity panel on the merc. it was so ugly before though that it still looks minging.

glenp
    Free Member

There is a vanity panel – otherwise would be an abrupt step like last year. I think Merc have taken the regulation at face value a bit, whereas Ferrari have pushed to the limit and used the vanity panel for aerodynamic effect. As have Sauber.

So far I ave noticed:
    – McLaren late on parade with a high chassis and have gone pullrod at the same time… will be bit of a learning curve, plus the back of that car is not as svelte as some others.
    – Ferrari looks fabulous to my eyes.
    – Red Bull ditto, but with even more extreme/absent gearbox – they are hiding something.
    – Merc – meh.
    – Sauber – looks pretty slim.

Testing tomorrow, plus more new cars. How sad am I? Love it.

allthepies
    Free Member

Reading between the lines, Lewis thinks the car is sh1te.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/21322248

dooosuk
    Free Member

Mercedes on fire … not a promising start:

jota180
    Free Member

They’ve pretty much lost the whole day, only 11 laps done
    That’s a lot of setup work lost.

hora
    Free Member

Reading between the lines, Lewis thinks the car is sh1te.

I saw the full interview and you don’t even have to read between the lines sadly. It sounds like hes driving something from a different planet. Not good. 🙁

jota180
    Free Member

They’re not really going to know where the car is until they get to Barcelona

dooosuk
    Free Member

Did Jenson ever get back out? Mclaren can’t be happy with today either.

jota180
    Free Member

Yeah, Button is back out for the PM

If you’re as sad as me 🙂
    http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/549

andrewh
    Free Member

They’re not really going to know where the car is until they get to Barcelona

I would hope they can keep track of it, they don’t want to be hanging around at Barcelona airport wondering where it’s got to!

hora
    Free Member

If Schu with all his experience and (old) talent couldn’t make it better then its looking dire for LH. He could drive a dog of a McLaren but a dog of a Merc will be like driving a re-painted Force India.

jota180
    Free Member

Button ended up fastest on an 18.8

Way faster than anyone else and way faster than last year’s day one chart topper.
    It was also faster than the day 4 best time from last year.

could mean absolutely nothing though 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Doesn’t mean anything- wait until tomorrow..

Steelsreal

liking Kimis mock wheel with a Mute button…bit of humour never goes a miss

hora
    Free Member

😆

roady_tony
    Free Member

nobody signed the concorde agreement yet…..

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘F1 – It's Car Launch Week’ is closed to new replies.