• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Getting Button in the Williams seat was quite appealing to Williams a few months back!

shermer75
    Free Member

That would be a very neat solution! Just not sure if JB would go for it though. I get the feeling that he’d only be tempted to come back if it was a championship winning car! 🙂

cyclistm
    Free Member

I got the feeling Button would take the retainer on the premise that it would be extremely unlikely he would ever need to get back in a mchonda (or any other F1 car) – just show up at a few events and look dashing.

I bet he’s hoping Alonso really doesn’t go to Merc

aracer
    Free Member

Which is why the Merc is probably the only possible available seat he’d take. Though I get the feeling he might even have second thoughts about a drive in a car miles ahead of the rest with a rookie as a team-mate – he’s realised there is life outside F1 and looking forward to it (and why wouldn’t you when you can do anything you like?)

the-muffin-man

F1 2107 gets more awesomer – Maldonado in the new fast cars should equal some great crashes!…

Maldonado: I hope to be on the F1 grid in Australia

shermer75
    Free Member

Not surely how well he’s going to do without Venezuelan oil money! 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like Bottas to mercedes.

shermer75
    Free Member

With Paddy Lowe’s know how and the extra cash coming their way Williams might be on for having a pretty strong car for the 2018 season..

njee20
    Free Member

Crashtor in a Mercedes. Let’s not **** about, I want some full on red flag carnage.

More seriously, Bottas to Williams and Massa to return to partner Stroll would seem an elegant solution.

shermer75
    Free Member

More seriously, Bottas to Williams and Massa to return to partner Stroll would seem an elegant solution.

It’s looking like that’s the way it will go. I wonder why they passed over Button?

njee20
    Free Member

Who, Williams? Massa’s a known quantity for them, it’s a long time since Button was in a Williams. Makes more sense to me.

cp

Button has said he doesn’t want to be mid-pack. Even with Paddy I don’t think Williams are going to have a front runner next year. Button also seems quite intent on retiring. A drive for merc might persuade him but I doubt he’d go elsewhere.

That beeb article is still quite vague and speculative. Although bottas would be a nice fit, I do wonder if there’s going to be a curveball.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I wonder how much Merc are offering Massa to take the drive at Williams? It seems like the final piece of the puzzle. We’ll have to go through the whole retirement process again in Brazil. Failing that just get Massa in the Merc and bring back the Schumacher years 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

No, Button to Mercedes. It seems like a good solution, but not one that has been seriously considered as far as what I’ve heard from the press

the-muffin-man

No, Button to Mercedes. It seems like a good solution, but not one that has been seriously considered as far as what I’ve heard from the press

Nope – can’t see that happening. No point in Mercedes having a ‘seat-warmer’ for a year.

Better to stick Wehrlein in and take a punt on a young driver.

If any of the big-hitters (Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo) wanted out of their contracts they’d find a way of doing it right away, not wait another year.

All roads still point to Bottas for me.

Chew
    Free Member

Also I wouldnt rule out Sainz going to Mercedes.

He and Max were close in their Toro Rosso days. No space in RBR for the immediate future and Horners given clues about not wanting to stand in his way. Back fill the Toro Rosso seat with another guy from the Red Bull driver programme (or Wehrlein).
    Solves the Williams problem of not having an experienced driver.

shermer75
    Free Member

Nope – can’t see that happening. No point in Mercedes having a ‘seat-warmer’ for a year.

It seems to me that this is exactly what they do want, so that they can promote Wehrlein once he’s had more experience

shermer75
    Free Member

Agreed, I d love to see Sainz get promoted, he’s a great driver and comes across that a great bloke too. Where have you have Horner saying that he’s open to that? The only bit I read was saying the opposite lol

shermer75
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

It seems to me that this is exactly what they do want, so that they can promote Wehrlein Ocon once he’s had more experience

Fixed that for you! 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Lol!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I wonder how much Merc are offering Massa to take the drive at Williams?

They probably don’t need to persuade him, apparently he wants to race and it was only his replacement by Stroll (and his cash) and no other halfway decent seats on offer that prompted his retirement. He’d probably bite Williams’ hand off!
    Button on the other hand sounds like he’s basically had enough.

shermer75
    Free Member

Button on the other hand sounds like he’s basically had enough.

I think he’s had enough of not getting into Q3. I reckon he’d come back for a championship contending car

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you look at Jenson’s body language during the last six races and his race performances, then it’s pretty obvious that he’d resigned himself to retirement.

Then there’s this (paraphrased) quote: “We waited until after the contract (reserve/sabbatical for 2017/18) was signed before Jenson was shown any of the design for the 2017 car”. For him to jump ship to Merc would be a conspiracy theory too far. He’s a placeholder at McLaren, partly to help develop the car and partly as an insurance policy against Fernando walking mid-season. Don’t forget that there have been two seasons on the trot that McLaren have had to draft in the reserve guy.

But, I’d really, really like to be proven incorrect.

Smart money says Bottas to Merc. He’s a proven talent, the right age to stay with the team for some years and his character is calm and measured, in contract to Hamilton’s somewhat mercurial nature. The last thing Merc wants is a partnership akin to Mansell and Piquet (like Hamilton and Alonso/Vettel for example).

As for the vacant Williams seat, they need an experienced hand, crucially with alcohol sponsorship requiring a more mature driver than Stroll and Wehrlein/Ocon. That leaves Massa (with no contract commitments for 2017) or Button (tied to McLaren for the foreseeable).

shermer75
    Free Member

For me I would summarise it as-

Most desirable: Sainz

Most likely: Bottas to Mercedes, Massa to Williams

Hardest to understand: Why Button isn’t being considered more

shermer75
    Free Member

Another excellent article from James Allen. One small side note- Hulkenberg must be absolutely kicking himself!! Is he destined to be one of great ‘nearly-men’ of Formula 1?

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/12/why-the-bookies-have-stopped-taking-bets-on-valtteri-bottas-to-mercedes-f1-team/

hora
    Free Member

Why would you consider Button?

nickc

Why Button isn’t being considered more

he’s expensive, he’s retired, there are many many drivers that bring more sponsor money with them. On the plus side, he’s a known quality, if you’ve an alcohol sponsor he passes advertising standards, erm….

the-muffin-man

Is he destined to be one of great ‘nearly-men’ of Formula 1?

Even nearly men can get lucky once in their F1 career!

[cough]Rosberg[/cough]

And in all honesty the Renault works team could be the ideal for him, as he could stay for a good few years until they are pushing at the front.

there are many many drivers that bring more sponsor money with them.

Sponsor money is of no interest to Mercedes.

shermer75
    Free Member

Mercedes are looking for someone who can reliably bring in the points, will play well with Hamilton and is available. Button ticks the first two and suits the last more than most on the grid- not that he’s even on the grid right now!

chrismac

Button has said he doesn’t want to be mid-pack

In which case its a good job he has quit as he has never been more than a mid pack driver. His WDC was only possible due to Brawn. As soon as the rest of the field added the same trick to their car then he stopped winning.

shermer75
    Free Member

In which case its a good job he has quit as he has never been more than a mid pack driver.

It’s prob worth looking at his record against Hamilton for the 3 years they were together at McLaren. He gave him a run for his money in 2010 and 2012 (only two points behind) and comprehensively beat him in 2011 (he came 2nd in the drivers championship, Hamilton 5th).

nickc

as he has never been more than a mid pack driver

well, he’s been 3rd, 2nd and won a championship in his career, and suggesting that his win was down to Brawn…well, obvs 🙄 who’ve guessed that having the fastest car would give you edge… You have you seen how badly Alsonso has done when not in competitive equipment?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m comparing him to Hamilton because, as a three time world champion, he makes for a pretty effective benchmark. But if you like in 2011 he also beat Alonso (widely recognised as the greatest driving talent of his generation) and Mark Webber, who was driving a Red Bull during one of their insanely dominating seasons. Not bad for a mid pack driver! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I presume the 2011 Canadian GP was also the drive of a mid pack driver! Or maybe chrismac doesn’t actually follow F1 that closely.

It’s widely acknowledged that Button may not be consistently the fastest driver on the grid (though he’s very close, and certainly capable of winning WDC given a good car, as indeed he did in the one season where he did have the best car), but on his day with a car which suits him he’s been unmatchable. Not something you could say about a genuine mid packer like Nico 😈

BTW when was the last time the WDC was taken by a driver not in the best car? 2007?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I guess thats a comprehensive case for considering Button then. The 2011 Canada race had it all including the quote ” What was he doing?”.

hora
    Free Member

Why not read up on the double diffuser controversy and Brawn, the teams technical representative who covered up the double diffuser and managed to keep it hidden until the other teams caught wind/caught up. After Buttons massive lead early in the season as soon as the DD’s cover was blown his lead eroded from then on.

As for Alonso. I’m not convinced. A good driver most definitely.

A great driver wins titles in more than one Marque.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Why not read up on the double diffuser controversy and Brawn, the teams technical representative who covered up the double diffuser and managed to keep it hidden until the other teams caught wind/caught up. After Buttons massive lead early in the season as soon as the DD’s cover was blown his lead eroded from then on.

Its widely acknowledged by anyone with a modicum of knowledge Brawns lead was eroded as they had zero funds available to develop the car. The car that started the season then was developed very little apart from the parts Honda had already funded in development steps for the coming season.

As for Alonso he has been pretty unfortunate with team moves where as lulu has been fortunate. Badly advised or taking chances who knows.

shermer75
    Free Member

Lulu?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Senna? 😯

No doubting alonso’s driving ability IMO, one of the greats. Outside the car is questionable, he seems very disruptive, except in a team run by flav

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.