• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • retro83
    Free Member

Nice looking car, intersting to see what the road circuit setup will look like

nickewen
    Free Member

The “look” is important though.. as is the “sound” which they’ve already bolloxed up.. Whenever I’ve had the pleasure of hearing one of the old V10 screamers up close all the hairs on my neck stand up, they really are something to behold. 1.6 turbos… not so much.

thepurist

Meh. Looks like the aero was specced by a stylist rather than a windtunnel/CFD, but then again if you put a bunch of the same car on a track you’ll get close racing no matter how crap the aero is.

But F1 is (still) way too much the other way – a gazillion winglets, slot gaps and suchlike which just ads to the cost without improving the show.

I’m hoping that Brawn can come up with something that looks good, keeps costs down AND provides good racing. With any luck that will attract new entrants to F1 and thereby enable the folks in the aero/CFD depts to keep their jobs by moving to smaller departments in the new teams.

ETA – nick has a point. I don’t mind the sound of the new F1 but I remember back in the day at Silverstone when you could virtually be at Stowe and still hear a car fire up in the (old) pits.

P20

Finally got round to sorting some of my Silverstone photos….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VRvwKK]DSC_0925[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VRvwee]DSC_0990[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WT551R]DSC_0730[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WT55nx]DSC_0689[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VRvuWz]DSC_0620[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WT54Ge]DSC_0010[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Theres many more if you click the links

shermer75
    Free Member

Great photos!! 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m so excited about the Silverstone Classic this weekend and some of the sounds I’ll be hearing.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member
    P20

Interesting read that. Explains the tyre issues

the-muffin-man

More pics of that Indycar…

milky1980
    Free Member

I’m so excited about the Silverstone Classic this weekend and some of the sounds I’ll be hearing.

Me too!! Going on the Saturday purely to watch the FW14B and the Super Touring Cars 8)

legend
    Free Member

The more I look at that Indycar the more I like it. Obviously the aero isn’t as complex as F1, but isn’t that what everyone wants anyway? Imagine being able to run nose-tail and DRS going in the bin where it belongs…….. bliss

igm

Oooh. Are they all cheaty cheaters?

Actually I think they are both pushing the rules as far as they can, and rightly so, but both those devices do look like variable and controlled aerodynamics.

Interesting read. (BAFly’s one)

the-muffin-man

They all cheat bend the rules a bit – Red Bull flexy wing story…

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bulls-new-front-wing-under-scrutiny-from-rivals-934070/

igm

Indeed – and they should. It’s about pushing technical boundaries to a large extent.

thepurist

Renault are saying that Kubica not in the frame for a 2017 drive but not ruled out for 2018. Looks like JP can continue his rise to mediocrity in Spa.

source

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

in other news….

Sauber say no to honda…

Sauber Say no to Honda

and

halos will get wings…que the silly T wings on the halos

Halos Get Wings

aracer
    Free Member

I was told by a friend that his friend who works for McLaren says they’re definitely going with Mercedes next year, so Honda are out of F1 then. You heard it here first (from a 3rd or 4th hand dodgy source – but my friend was quite convinced by the accuracy of the info).

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

i wonder who will power the Sauber? I wouldve thought merc would prefer a Sauber over Mclaren. I assume it will be a 2 year old Ferrari engine in the Sauber for 2018

thepurist

Sauber stick with Ferrari for 2018 but will get the latest engine rather than the year old version.

retro83
    Free Member

KMag on the halo…”If it looks shit, it is shit” 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

McLaren will have to use Honda as they are the only ones willing to pay Alonso’s salary and Merc don’t want them as a competitor with a good engine.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Di Resta in for an unwell Massa.

At least we won’t have to listen to his dreary commentary now.

Hopefully he can have a decent race.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

PDR is already subbing for the unwell Martin Brundle.

He’s never been so popular!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

19th and only 7 tenths behind Stroll.

Not bad for only a few laps in the car!

RickDraper
    Free Member

Well the top 4 was pretty boring today, we can only imagine what it would have been like had Ricciardo not been taken out at the start by Verstappen. The RedBull clearly had some good race pace today.

Alonso and McLaren looked good, chassis is clearly very good, just well down on power. Unfortunately for them it will be back to situation normal at Spa.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Alonso was positively beaming in the pen . Weird end with position swaps and Kimi holding station. Respect to Lewis for sticking to his word and letting Bottas pass. I’m sure Bottas will be reminded of this later in the season when it hots up. Mad Max may want to exercise caution next time he is alongside his team mate. I’m not sure why he got penalised when other tracks its deemed as a first lap racing incident? The team get penalised twice, once for losing their driver and 2) time penalty added

Pook

Magnussen to the Hulk: “suck my balls mate”

http://www.planetf1.com/news/magnussen-to-hulkenberg-suck-my-balls/

Twodogs

I don’t really understand why Max was penalised either….first lap racing incident, it’s not like he drove into Ric on purpose…he locked up under braking

njee20
    Free Member

The inference was that it wasnt a teensy lock up, he was going to run off the circuit if he’d not had Ricciardo to bounce him around the corner.

jordie
    Free Member

I thought it was a bit harsh too there is always things like this ar the start and nothing happens. Pretty boring race yesterday I dont know why this manages to stay in the race calender when other circuits have been dumped.

thepurist

Sad when a ‘race’ involves the slowest car of the top 4 or 5 winning. Ferrari are really starting to plumb the depths again, first off their media shutdown and now handling a race in a way that showed they’ve learned nothing since Barichello’s famous “victory” in Austria.

Yet somehow it looks like Kimi is willing to sign up for another year of the same treatment.

legend
    Free Member

How was Kimi going to get past without team orders on the track described as Monaco without the walls?

igm

Sad when a ‘race’ involves the slowest car of the top 4 or 5 winning.

On the other hand you could look at it as an extremely good drive from Vettel in a wounded car.
    Senna used to get all sorts of plaudits when he did that sort of thing. And plenty of folk have suggested Vettel can only drive when the car is perfect – it appears they’re wrong.

And Hamilton showed a little bit of class in handing the podium back.

legend
    Free Member

And Hamilton showed a little bit of class in handing the podium back.

The “what if the championship comes down to 1 point” question seemed to catch him out though 🙂

thepurist

The fact is Kimi just sat there like a patsy, never even looking to try to threaten Seb. Imagine Hamilton being behind Rosberg in the same situation last year, or even Vettel behind Webber – both would at least have had a couple of goes at passing before settling into place. One mistake from Kimi with Hamilton behind him could have cost Ferrari the race, then they would’ve looked pretty stupid to have kept Kimi bottled up in 2nd for so long when he could have been a fair way down the road.

I do agree that winning as slowly as possible is a skill – Fangio was noted for it, Senna managed it a couple of times and even the Mercs did it at Monaco but it seems at odds with the new ‘bigger better faster’ image that F1 is trying to portray.

Guess the upside to all the pootling up front is that Alonso managed to nab the fastest lap, which raised a smile even though it took Edwards & Coulthard an age to spot it.

dragon
    Free Member

Yet somehow it looks like Kimi is willing to sign up for another year of the same treatment.

He gets paid millions to drive a Ferrari and avoids all the PR & Press aggro of being the No1 driver. He is already a World Champ so doesn’t have that to prove.

So flip it around and the question should be, why wouldn’t you sign up again if you were Kimi?

aracer
    Free Member

Kimi was driving no faster than Seb, yet LH sat there like a patsy never even looking like trying to threaten Kimi. 😉

One mistake from Kimi with Hamilton behind him could have cost Ferrari the race, then they would’ve looked pretty stupid to have kept Kimi bottled up in 2nd for so long when he could have been a fair way down the road.

Nope – one mistake from Kimi would have cost Ferrari 2nd place. If Kimi had somehow managed to pass SV then one mistake from SV would have cost Ferrari more points in the driver’s championship. Have you not noticed the all eggs in one basket approach Ferrari have? Whether or not you like Ferrari’s strategy, they did exactly the right thing for it, and ended up with exactly the right result for them. They would have looked really stupid if they’d let Kimi past SV and LH had then also been able to pass SV.

chrismac

I dont know why this manages to stay in the race calender when other circuits have been dumped.

Given that the race was awarded under Bernie’s regime the answer is simple, cash and lots of it

retro83
    Free Member

Twodogs – Member
    I don’t really understand why Max was penalised either….first lap racing incident, it’s not like he drove into Ric on purpose…he locked up under braking

From the onboard it looked to me like he braked late with the intention of running a bit wide and forcing Ric to brake or go off the track.
    I can’t imagine for a second the actual contact was intentional, too much risk of braking a suspension arm or getting a puncture.

thepurist

OK let’s just agree that if seb gets wobbly steering at Spa the outcome will be very different 🙂 yesterday was a combination of team orders, circuit layout and patsies. Plus a few radio gremlins of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.