• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Whilst the last sentence is a silly thing to say, I think he was acting as if he was bringing it down to Vettel’s level. Regardless, there’s no excuse for Vettel’s actions so let’s not make Hamilton out to be the bad guy here.

rOcKeTdOg

Can you imagine how much the hand bags would be worth in a fight between hamz & the finger?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good job by Stroll. Not been much of a fan so far but he did well today.

ctk
    Free Member

“If he wants to prove that he’s a man, I think we should do it out of the car face-to-face.”

Hamilton mostly talks in lifestyle guru spiel. I’d prefer it if he was offering people outside every week.

legend
    Free Member

This could be the best thing to happen to F1 for years! Well played Liberty Media #makesyouthink

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Maldonado drive into someone on purpose at spa ( I think it was spa )

It was Hamilton, coincidentally

stumpy01

Maldonado definitely drove into someone on purpose. I think it was at Monaco…

Regarding the comment by Hamilton about dealing with it face to face; it was in response to Vettel’s ridiculous comment about ‘we are men and we deal with these things like men’…when in actual fact he had dealt with it like a petulant child by coming alongside and driving purposefully into him.

I didn’t take Hamilton’s comment to mean fisticuffs (although it would have been funny to have seen a repeat of the Coulthard/Schumacher agro after Schumi did similar in heavy rain and then blamed Coulthard).

Vettel gone another bitch down in my estimations after that.
    Nice to see Alonso get some points and involved in some tussles. Best race I’ve watched in ages…

richmars

What – a playground challenge to a fight? the man is a dick.

But what do you think about the incident that he’s talking about?

FuzzyWuzzy

10 sec stop & go does seem ridiculously lenient for a deliberate side swipe. It shouldn’t matter that Hamilton’s car was unaffected, you just can’t allow drivers to take that kind of action and get away with it (even if Hamilton had brake tested him, which he didn’t). I’m not sure a race ban would be fair but he should have been black flagged in that race and be given a grid penalty in the next.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

The incident isn’t that much different to the Marquez v Rossi incident at Sepang, IMO, and we all how that panned out.

I don’t understand why Coulthard was trying to pretend it might have been accidental, though?

milky1980
    Free Member

I didn’t take Hamilton’s comment to mean fisticuffs

Neither did I, more that they should talk it out in person not through the media. Learning from the Nico media spats of the last few years but yes, he could have phrased it better!

(although it would have been funny to have seen a repeat of the Coulthard/Schumacher agro after Schumi did similar in heavy rain and then blamed Coulthard).

Coulthard has since said that crash was more his fault as he lifted off but stayed on the racing line whereas the understanding between the divers is to move offline then lift off to let a car overtake.

Twodogs

Yeah, but can “someone” apply further sanctions over and above the pathetically lenient 10s stop and go? Wasn’t Rossi’s punishment doled out by race officials at the time?
    (No idea about DC…he was just being thick, maybe)

atlaz
    Free Member

I think Mercedes could appeal the decision and the FIA would need to justify why an increased penalty was not applied. Think back to Schumacher in 1997, he kept his race wins but was disqualified entirely from the championship for intentionally driving into Villeneuve. I don’t think you can say that swerving into someone is better when it’s earlier in the championship rather than the last round. After all, chances are that Vettel and Hamilton will be battling for the title for the rest of the year.

I doubt Merc will appeal though.

legend
    Free Member

What would be the grounds for appeal though? Mercedes were not harmed in any way by the incident, if there had been damage then it would be a very different matter.

The Schumacher-Villneuve incident was totally different, as Schumacher was looking to wipe him out (worst attempt at wiping someone out ever seen mind you) at racing speed. Would be a stretch to say that Vettel was trying to take Hamilton out of the race when they were trundling along.

The Schumacher-Coulthard incident was totally different again. As above, Coulthard stayed on line and Schumacher was blinded by the conditions and it was full race-pace again

nickewen
    Free Member

Could the bumps from Vettel have unsettled the headrest from its locating pin? Not outside the realms of possibility.. (I think!) but no one seems to have considered in the media? I’ve looked at the footage a few times and it doesn’t appear to move or jump immediately.. but could have weakened something that became loose later.

legend
    Free Member

Nah. If that’s all it takes to unsettle safety equipment then it would be Mercedes in line for a baw toeing

nickewen
    Free Member

Edit – Double post

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hamilton mostly talks in lifestyle guru spiel. I’d prefer it if he was offering people outside every week.

+1

When Senna was doing it – it was fine – but oh shit when Hamilton simply suggests it everyone loses their minds.

atlaz
    Free Member

What would be the grounds for appeal though? Mercedes were not harmed in any way by the incident, if there had been damage then it would be a very different matter

I think they could say that they’d breached some basic requirements of the FIA regulations. For example:

Obligation of fairness
    All FIA Licence-Holders and all Participants in International Events must
    not, in any way whatsoever, infringe the principles of fairness in competition,
    behave in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to infl uence
    the result of a competition in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics, in
    particular within the context of betting on the competitions registered on
    the International Sporting Calendar.

I think ramming would be considered by most as “unsportsmanlike behaviour”. Potentially Vettel’s superlicense could be revoked but obviously that’s excessive in this case.

When Senna was doing it – it was fine

Senna actually punched people too, memorably, Eddie Irvine. From memory, he didn’t get penalised for it as it was after scruitineering and therefore outside the race meeting.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Surely the incident is made more serious because it happened when the safety car was on the track?

There’s been a lot of controversy over the leading driver deliberately driving too slowly behind a safety car, but this is beyond the pale. I’m amazed that Vettel got away with a ten second penalty, for once the conspiracy theorists have a point about Ferrari seemingly being treated with leniency that would be denied to other teams’ drivers.

And it’s been over three decades since we had an on-track Formula One punch up. The incidents with Mansell and Senna and Senna and Irvine all happened off track.

atlaz
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXbGDcMeo8[/video]

PJM1974
    Free Member

Splendid.

legend
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    I think they could say that they’d breached some basic requirements of the FIA regulations. For example:

They absolutely could, but then they’d have to go in saying that they want a harsher penalty just because he was bad, very bad. Can’t see it happening, as what happened is currently great for the sport and it’s their (Mercedes) own fault that they weren’t able to gain further from it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Like I said, I doubt it’d happen. I think the biggest chance is the FIA decide to revisit the marshals decision in light of Vettel’s apparent ramming of Hamilton but this would require the FIA to want to ruin the title race by removing one of the contenders.

That said, 9 points on his license… could make life interesting as the stress ramps up.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Not really. It’s only really an issue for the next race and he will be on his best behaviour.

After that, it’s more than a year since the first infringement and 2 points will fall away.

Rich_s

The Schumacher-Coulthard incident was totally different again. As above, Coulthard stayed on line and Schumacher was blinded by the conditions and it was full race-pace again

IIRC DC was asked to move to the right of the track and slow to allow MS to pass. Trouble was, the right was the racing line where he chose to do it. For whatever reason, MS didn’t hear/understand/get told what was happening so kerblam. Ferrari took the blame for that one fairly and squarely.
    Remember watching it with some disbelief as Mclaren then sent DC back out.

thepurist

Sebby does seem to get away lightly, after effing and jeffing at Charlie in Mexico he could’ve been punished a lot more but got away with that too. Hamilton reverses 3 feet in the pitlane and they get the cuffs out… Go figure.

Still, adds a bit of spice just in time for Silverstone in a couple of weeks. Anyone going?

PJM1974
    Free Member

In other news, McLaren have somehow collected two points!

legend
    Free Member

*waits for McLaren fail scrutineering news*

thepurist

Mclaren still last in the wdc though. They’ve still got to catch the leaderless team who developed the 2017 car with no budget while the team was being sold and who are using last year’s engine.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

To balance that, “last years engine” was pretty good.

This years Honda, less so.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Senna actually punched people too, memorably, Eddie Irvine.

Nothing unsporting about punching Eddie Irvine.

Daffy

That said, 9 points on his license… could make life interesting as the stress ramps up.

He’ll only have 7 by the start of the next race and then only 4, after another pair of races.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Who was it that said street circuits are shit? 😳

Another cracking race. Loving it there’s some animosity back, it was all getting to nicey nicey.

Vettel: where did I do dangerous driving?

Rest of the world: **** off Seb.

Pook

Just caught up on this. Bloody hell. Like hamo days, I’m glad my 4 year old didn’t see vettel’s behaviour.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Nothing unsporting about punching Eddie Irvine.

Indeed.

Can we add Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard to that list too?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes we can

atlaz
    Free Member

If EJ was on the list you’d never get past that. I’d imagine he’s someone you’d never get tired of slapping

nickewen
    Free Member

DC came across as a right bellend on the podium on Sunday so he’s definitely on the list.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Actually.

Can I move DC and EJ across from the punching list to the shoeing list please?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.