• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Wonder if any of this rubs off on McLaren’s road car business? I’d imagine the F1 link isn’t front and centre in their marketing at the moment… Or are they effectively totally separate now?

legend
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member

Wonder if any of this rubs off on McLaren’s road car business? I’d imagine the F1 link isn’t front and centre in their marketing at the moment… Or are they effectively totally separate now?

Conversely, I wonder if the road car business is having a negative effect on the F1 side? When they dropped off in the nineties they attributed some of the blame to focusing on the F1 road car too much

shermer75
    Free Member

Alonso must be rueing that vacant seat at Merc

Although I am sure he was approached I don’t think that Alonso was ever the number one choice due to Bottas being

1) Cheaper
    2) Fast enough
    3) More likely to get on with Lewis and
    4) Easier to remove from his current team due to the many links between Merc and Williams

dragon
    Free Member

Complete disaster for Mclaren – oh how the mighty have fallen. Hard to see a way back for them, as Honda are clearly pretty useless and McLaren themselves are a fair way off the pace also. Lack of sponsors means lack of investment and the downward spiral continues.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I thought the new McLaren livery reminded me of someting. It came to me today.

They are no better off than last year. Or the year before. All the others seem to have made real progress.

I bet Ron is widdling himself.

richmtb

Williams spent years in the wilderness before there recent return to form (and they still aren’t really challenging for race wins)

McLaren’s long term strategy and their acceptance that they will never win a title unless they are a full “works” team with access to their own engine is correct but they look like they have a very long road ahead of them to even challenge the mid tier Merc teams

shermer75
    Free Member

They are no better off than last year. Or the year before. All the others seem to have made real progress.

Unfortunately I feel this may well be the case! I’m imagining Button is hitting the gym pretty hard right now in preparation lol

shermer75
    Free Member

In fact I reckon he’ll be driving the Tango coloured lemon by Bahrain 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m imagining Button is hitting the gym pretty hard right now in preparation lol

funnily enough he posted selfie the other day 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

😆 😆

nemesis
    Free Member

There’s a big difference this year though – freedom to develop the engine. Catching up was really difficult coming in 2 or 3 years behind the other manufacturers. At least they’re getting problems out of the way in the tests so that they can try and fix some of them for Melbourne but it looks like McL will be taking a lot of grid penalties this year right now…

RickDraper
    Free Member

The unfortunate thing for McLaren is while the reliability is so bad they cannot even evaluate the chassis so they don’t know if the development of the chassis will be going in the right direction. Iirc they have been struggling to even go over 10 laps.

It’s a very sorry state of affairs right now.

slowoldman

Brilliant ScottChegg. Oh blimey I can’t believe I just got your name.

I’m hoping Williams have something as good as it seems in testing.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Honda are dangerously close to reproduce the Toyota thing. I wonder if engineering arrogance is playing a part here too ?

shermer75
    Free Member

Honda are dangerously close to reproduce the Toyota thing. I wonder if engineering arrogance is playing a part here too ?

Of course, why else would anyone be stoopid enough to fund an F1 team! 🙂 That’s why no-one is worried about peak oil, the entire sport is fueled by arrogance 😆

scotroutes

Anyone else old enough to remember the Honda 4 stroke GP bike when everyone else was running 2 strokes? Or their “we will never make a diesel engine” mantra?

sturdylad
    Free Member

Another bad start to the day for Alfonso!

retro83
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member
    I thought the new McLaren livery reminded me of someting. It came to me today.

I bet Ron is widdling himself.

Still reminded of this

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/06/08/concern-grows-for-whitmarsh/#.WL6vKDw8bYU

the-muffin-man

I’ve just been clearing out my bookmarks and found this link to a 2010 F1 testing gallery…

_65B0220

…they look like F3 cars compared to the 2017 ones. It’s amazing how quick you get used to the new fat tyres!

the-muffin-man

Some fancy floor detail on the Torro Rosso…

jamesy01
    Free Member

Regarding the McHonda engine deal I came accross this from James Allen in his comments section…

Whitmarsh did this deal as I recall

Its not even as if poor Ron is getting the last laugh!

the-muffin-man
    bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Looks like he’s in for more sun bathing this season.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well perhaps Sauber will have some competition at the back then.

hols2
    Free Member

At least he’s not letting it get him down.

Klunk
    Free Member

Mclaren has stopped out on the track.

retro83
    Free Member

Stopped twice I think.

edit:

11:54 Vandoorne’s back out in the McLaren.

11:57 RED FLAG.

11:57 It’s Vandoorne AGAIN in the McLaren.

🙄

Must be pretty demoralising for the factory at this point to be hitting so many snags

Good lap from Seb, 1m19.024

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128425/vettel-cruises-to-best-lap-of-testing-so-far

edit 2:

https://twitter.com/f1writers/status/839805385246658561
    woah 😮 woah 😯 woah? 😡 … wooah 🙁

thepurist

Seems like Sebby was lifting here and there during his quick run too, adding up best sector times puts the real pace easily in the 18s, and they’re probably not in full bore quali engine mode either.

nemesis
    Free Member

McLaren. Utterly predictable. They’ve broken down AGAIN!

nemesis
    Free Member

I can’t decide if Ron would be finding this hysterical or is having a fit

legend
    Free Member

All this hasn’t suddenly happened since he left so I don’t think he’ll be too smug yet

nemesis
    Free Member

They were at least making clear progress last year. Hopefully it’s one step back (new engine) for two forward but…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Okay, so continuing my theme of only popping up to post something McLaren related, would McLaren be able to swap to 2016’s (relatively) reliable power unit?

Does the abolition of the token system for 2017 mean that Honda could feasibly design a new engine for the latter part of the season?

the-muffin-man

Does the abolition of the token system for 2017 mean that Honda could feasibly design a new engine for the latter part of the season?

The 2017 engine is a new design anyway, so no, there’d be no time to design a new one.

They say they went as far as they could with the old engine and this new, Mercedes style engine, offers more scope for development.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

It wasn’t so long ago that people were questioning the wisdom of Lulu’s move to Mercedes. Crazy to see such an epic reversal of fortune. 😯

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, it’ll prob be a dismal first half to the season with some mediocre results in the second half for McLaren. Disappointing stuff!

onandon
    Free Member

Great update from the feasting live link.

10:58 Teams are supposed to be fine-tuning their cars at this stage. The only thing McLaren’s fine-tuning is the Barcelona recovery procedure. 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m not really bothered about McLaren as such but it’s yet another wasted season for Alonso and maybe Vandoorne

thepurist

So far thsi year Honda has less than 1/4 of the testing mileage of any other engine manufacturer – that’s got to hinder the development (or error finding) process.

Though on the flip side, if they had supplied another team we’d now be getting twice as many red flags in testing.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.