• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • the-muffin-man

Really? That’s the best you can come up with? That it’s not quite same shade of a colour that a racing team last used about 50 years ago? I’m sure they’re going to be devastated by your razor-like insight into marketing and colour palette choice.

Yes!

I do colouring-in for a living so know about these things! 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Also agreed – though even the right orange would look a mess two tone with the black.

Of all the colours they could have chosen, the only obvious reason for orange is because of heritage, in which case it should be the right one.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You don’t think the colour is to do with Honda’s new advertising colours? Strange….

aracer
    Free Member

I have no idea – hadn’t seen them using orange, and it doesn’t appear at all on their website that I can see. What’s more, the most obvious Honda logo is on a black bit. Could you point out where orange is linked with Honda for me?

Maybe Andrew Benson is wrong too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39075183 (if indeed the white is the Honda bit, then they’re missing out, none of us has even noted the white!)

shermer75
    Free Member

The product recall message at the top is in orange lol

http://www.honda.co.uk/

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

“! Important information” in orange

Kryton57

So to summarise, only Mercedes have come up with a half decent looking car to date?

nickc

…And even that’s pretty damned ugly 😆

scotroutes

They’ve launched two?

thepurist

The T wing makes it fugly by default, and a shark fin won’t exactly improve the looks so that’s merc off the “exciting new car” list too.

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m not surprised the cars are looking as they are, with the new regs, the teams are essentially trying to create an inverted aeroplane, which is never a good place from which to start.

I wouldn’t mind if they reverted the regs back to the early/mid 90’s personally, they were rather pleasing to the eye back then.

As for the orange and black combo, strikes me that they’re using the black to make the car look slimmer than it actually is, but I haven’t looked for any dim’s, so it might be similar to the Ferrari, which looks really slim to the tail.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m not surprised the cars are looking as they are, with the new regs, the teams are essentially trying to create an inverted aeroplane, which is never a good place from which to start.

I’m not sure I understand your point here. Hasn’t that always been the case? And why would it be a bad place to start?

legend
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind if they reverted the regs back to the early/mid 90’s personally, they were rather pleasing to the eye back then.

That was technology rather than regs, so there’s no going back now! Limiting locations and numbers of aero devices would be a good start though

slackalice
    Free Member

@shermer – more wings and flaps than car, hence more aeroplane than car and trying to make it look like a car becomes difficult, which is essentially how @legend managed to interpret my not very eloquent post.

IIRC, a number of years ago it was decided that the lack of wheel to wheel racing and overtaking was due in most part to aero tech. It just seems to me, in my now occasional glance at the pinnacle of motorsport that they’ve forgotten that this year.

grahamt1980

Surely the scariest thing about that maclaren is the fact they are sponsored by sap, surely that means that they will only ever have 1.5 cars at each race and 200 of the wrong size spanner.

On a serious note the ferrari is not attractive but the maclaren is hideous

shermer75
    Free Member

IIRC, a number of years ago it was decided that the lack of wheel to wheel racing and overtaking was due in most part to aero tech. It just seems to me, in my now occasional glance at the pinnacle of motorsport that they’ve forgotten that this year.

I agree! I’m worried that we are going to go back to the dull processional racing that used to bore the crap out of me in the 90s

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah, the old SAP jokes… 😉

Keen to see how they actually look on screen

grahamt1980

Couldn’t resist.

The best side of that ferrari is from above as far as i can tell.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Minging, the lot of them. You can build a better looking racing car out of Lego.

pondo

Interesting that McLaren have moved away from the MP4/ prefix – by going orange at the same time, I guess they simultaneously tip the hat to one aspect of their history and turn their back on another.

What do we feel about the shade of red Ferrari use? 🙂

thepurist

Pondo – IIRC the Philip Morris deal was around a few years before Ron took on the team and brought Project 4 into the naming, so the MP4s never raced in orange.

Ferrari have been through a few reds in the past, so I think the tifosi are less anal than mclaren fans… Maybe Ron’s influence is bigger than we think 😉

the-muffin-man

I don’t think Williams got the memo about the bargeboards!…

And Renault seem to be the only ones who’ve made the sharkfin look a little sexy. The Williams one is dreadful.

Does no one at the FIA have any sense of taste and proportions?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/25/pictures-williams-officially-present-their-new-f1-car/

pondo

Sorry, didn’t mean to suggest they had – McLarens hadn’t been orange for a long time before His Ronness took over. Just thought it was interesting that they’ve acknowledged their roots but at the same time given the cold shoulder to their most succesful era. I shed no tears for Ron (always thought he was a bit of a tool, although there’s no doubting he’s been fantastically successful), just thought it noteworthy that they’ve change to prefix, as Ron did when it became his sho.

Klunk
    Free Member

that williams looks quite basic (lacking aero) compared to the ferrari & merc.

legend
    Free Member

Yup, either they’ve run out of money and are saying they’re keeping it simple or (let it be so) they’ve got something they think is worth hiding before the first test

the-muffin-man

For those who were asking about F1 testing coverage on TV – here is what Sky are doing (I don’t know about any other broadcasters)…

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10725059/f1-car-launches-and-pre-season-testing-how-to-follow-on-sky-f1

thepurist

Looks like they forgot to paint some of the Haas

shermer75
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member
    For those who were asking about F1 testing coverage on TV – here is what Sky are doing (I don’t know about any other broadcasters)…

Thanks for that! I haven’t got Sky though unfortunately! 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I think the Haas scheme is my favourite so far. Car still looks like a kids idea of more winglets/aero is bestest.

I wonder how much those new front wings cost, I seem to remember a few years ago someone from Williams saying they were £125K a pop.

thepurist

So surely the best designer of the modern F1 era can come up with something good…

Maybe we’ll find out when someone turns the lights on..

milky1980
    Free Member

Front of the nose looks like it’s ready for a hoover attachment to be plugged in 😕

Quite like the HAAS though.

Is it me or does the front wings on every car seem way out of proportion to the resat of the car? Makes them look heavy!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Toro rosso, best looking car of the bunch by a mile 🙂

chrismac

At least the McLaren will go faster than last year now button has taken to the beach full time now.

simondbarnes

Mingers, all of them. Whoever allowed the regulations to let people run shark fins needs sacking 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Agreed, the Toro Rosso looks the best by far. Nice to see that they’ll finally be looking significantly different to the Red Bulls too! I never could tell them apart on track lol

jamesy01
    Free Member

never could tell them apart on track

You’re in good company…neither could Crofty half the time 8)

thepurist

Here we go…. who’s secretly hoping for McLaren (Honda) to clock up a ton of laps while Merc struggle to get out of the pit lane?

Trimix
    Free Member

I am, but I’m not going to bet on it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like there is at least 4 teams running a ‘T’ wing lol

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.