Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • F-ing tubeless!!! Someone recommend me an air compressor!!!
  • hamishthecat
    Free Member

Are they tubes with a lock ring on the valve stem? I found when using 20" tubes ghetto I had to really press the valve opening into the well of the rim with a screwdriver handle while tightening the lock ring in order to get the tyre to seat. Presumably the tube is still extending beyond the rim – i.e. hasn't been trimmed too much?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Then I am out of suggestions and "I'm out" 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

PVA – its the way forward!

scaredypants

no mate, UST is the way forward 😉

(they up now ?)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Had to go out today so will have to try wheb I get back

MarginWalker
    Free Member

A year or so ago, I found a particular tyre impossible to inflate with my normally reliable B&Q compressor. I tried everything I normally do to get it seated. I removed the core and inflated with the wheel hanging on a hook and the valve pointing upwards (read this somewhere and it normally does the trick). I tried soapy water which left a complete me the garage and the wheel in a mess when I finally decided to give up. I took the tyre outside to hose off the gunk and decided to have one last go before calling it a night and hey presto … up it went!

Now if I ever have bother I just go straight for the hose and it works every time.

tazzymtb

there is one way

but it is a bit ….erm……exciting…

spay butane lighter fluid inside tyre, take one zippo and ignite the gas… hey presto one inflated and sealed tyre. Last time I did this (just out interest) it worked a treat scared me **** silly and fulfilled my inner pyromaniac.

It also reduced my goatee by about 2" 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

Argos Compressor

215.7Kg !!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Given up!!! (for the time being)

Couldn't get either front or rear inflated. Different rims and tyres but no joy – tried all the tricks above. Been ill and off the bike all week so had time to get even more frustrated over a longer period of time.

Tempted to get the hubs relaced onto some UST ready rims.

Goz – you got a compressor then?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

what a total ball ache this all sounds – just use normal tyres and tubes and get out for a ride ffs

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Need tubeless for the trail I'm working on 🙁

Will be OK once its is bedded in but tubeless will help to bed it in and also determine where the energy is in the trail.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Eh?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Need tubeless for the trail I'm working on

Will be OK once its is bedded in but tubeless will help to bed it in and also determine where the energy is in the trail.

You what now?

TooTall
    Free Member

Bushwacked – Member

Need tubeless for the trail I'm working on

Cynic-al to the thread please! Complete rubbish alert!

🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Papa_Lazarou – Member

what a total ball ache this all sounds – just use normal tyres and tubes and get out for a ride ffs

With a little patience tubeless is easy to set up, some people just can't get to grips with it either trough impatience, incompetence or lack of opposable thumbs.

😉

donks
    Free Member

I had to resort to the LBS recently to blast some co2 into my fully tubeless set up front wheel after 2 days worth of failed attempts to get the freeking thing inflated,so my advice would be to give that a go, after all I only actually take them right off when replacing the tyre so the fiver it costs initially is not quite as bad as it seems, and is well worth it due to the lack of punctures thereafter.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Translation – I'm in the middle of building a trail through a wood where there's a lot of hawthorn. Cutting down a lot of the trees has left a lot of debris on the ground (Think thorns) and even after clearing the trail there are some rogue thorns lying about.

Tubeless will allow me to check that the line is using the energy in the best way before building more of the trail. Tubeless seems the best way to do that without clearing all the ground just to find out it needs a minor correction.

Hopefully that explains what I mean.

I think some Co2 or a compressor is the best option going forward

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Buy a couple of slime tubes, then go test the 'energy' of your trail.

Dude.

tron
    Free Member

You need a compressor with a tank to push air quickly enough to seat the tyre. Or CO2

Another option would be some kind of pressure vessel – an old car tyre say, and a hose with a schraeder connector on each end.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Bushwacked – I know someone with a compressor who can help. You live in cheltenham right? email me – address in profile.

Weasel
    Free Member

Just tried to inflate it but air is still coming out where the tyre doesn't sit right over the valve.

I had the same thing and used some zip ties to clamp the tyre down above the valve, worked a treat on one tyre and inflated in seconds, the other tyre didn't want to know so inflated it at the petrol station using their air pump.

devs
    Free Member

For those nay saying the 20" tube method I use 3 different tubeless methods and it is as good and reliable as any. It easily stands the stress of 18st of me in bike kit being a clumsy oaf. Yet to have a ghetto tubeless puncture in 3 years!
    BUY THAT ARGOS COMPRESSOR- it's a steal. If I didn't already have one I'd be off down there for one. Weight must be a typo, it'll be 25Kg.
    I use a divining stick to find the energy in my trails man!

dunn_gasgas
    Free Member

I use an Aldi 25litre air comp with an inflator and tyre soap they use at car garage – works everytime even for motorcycle tyres

MrNutt
    Free Member

UST, stop messing around!

cookeaa

My 6Ltr used compressor off ebay cost £40 and works a dream, don't go getting a 12V car tyre inflator, that Argos jobbie looks quite good value…

As for testing your trails "energy" you probably just need some divining rods and a druid, a trailside contemplation tepee may be a worthwhile investment also…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Dirtbiker100 – YGM

yoshimi

So these compressors, how do they attach to a presta valve?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Presta to shraeder valve convertor for £1

http://bicycletutor.com/presta-valve/

yoshimi

ordered, cheers foxy

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW I had to file mine down a little and put some tape around the outer thread as my tyre inflator is cheap and cr@p 🙂

yoshimi

I'm tempted to get one of those argos compressors for sixty notes but friend has a garage locally with a big compressor so gonna nip in there with my adaptor on saturday morning.

foxyrider
    Free Member

cool – yeh did that before I got mine – local garage lent me theirs but was easier int eh long run to get a compressor – my mum got me one in teh end which was nice of her 🙂

5lab

don't the compressors generally push less air than a good track pump? the one i got for my car does..

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080821110847AASMLSD

tron
    Free Member

don't the compressors generally push less air than a good track pump?

Assuming you don't have horrendous hoses, no. You'll easily get >15CFM down the hose, as the tank is full of compressed air. Narrowbore hoses do rob flow rate though

If you're running through air faster than the compressor can compress it, you're limited by the capacity of the compressor (ie, the actual pumping part). That's an issue you get when spray painting, power sanding etc. Not one you should ever encounter with a bicycle tyre.

25L tank at 100PSI, bike tyre running at maybe 60 max? Gives about 40l of air at 60psi I think…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks to the legend that is Dirtbiker100 I am now in temporary possession of a whopping big compressor. Lets pump!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Finally got round to giving it a go with the compressor and Whoosh… first time the tyre inflated with no sealant or soapy water.

Deflated it and put the sealant in and did the other the same and both are up and 3 hours later still up. Gonna see how they are overnight but no obvious air leaks so far.

Compressors rock!!

scaredypants

first time the tyre inflated with no sealant or soapy water

🙄

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Scaredy – why 🙄 ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nice one – who cares if you used a compressor, you got the job done!!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Good to hear it Bushwacked!
    Not that I was secretly worried if it would work…
    Now I just need to find a way to carry the thing in my backpack!

Will try and meet you tomorrow morn up the hill. No promises but I shall try.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘F-ing tubeless!!! Someone recommend me an air compressor!!!’ is closed to new replies.