Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • F-ing tubeless!!! Someone recommend me an air compressor!!!
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Finally got round to re-tubelessing my rear wheel after a sidewall issue in the Brecons a few months ago…

Got the tyre on nicely – but can't get the tyre inflated!!! Grrr!!! Tried everything I can think of but no joy. Took it down to three petrol stations and seems they don't work with petrol station pumps.

So can someone recommend me an air compressor.

Been looking at these but thinking they may not be up to the job.

Machinemart

or

Maplin

Grrrrr!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

machine mart – thats where I got mine from – I got oiled one but oil free is fine as well.

You won't get enough flow with that mini tyre pump – get one with a reserviour 🙂

BTW have you tried inflating it with a tube overnight first?

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/stans-no-tubes-guide.htm

luked2
    Free Member

CO2? Or just a lot more soapy water?

pinches
    Free Member

neither of those compressors you've linked to will do any good.

to get the tyres to seat on the rim you need a sudden burst of volume to overcome the amount leaking from the bead, you'll only get that from a proper workshop compressor with a decent inflater.

neninja
    Free Member

Got all sorts of tyres up with just a track pump.

The key is mounting the tyre with a tube first to seat the bead and then leaving it for a while so the tyre shapes itself to the rim.

Remove the inner tube carefully so only one bead gets unseated and fit the valve to the rim. I then add the Stans fluid at this stage and refit the unseated side of the tyre. Swill the fluid round the tyre whilst tilting the wheel through different axis to totally coat the inside of the tyre.

It usually goes straight up then with a track pump.

m_t_b
    Free Member

after failing with compressors my extreme method was to duct tape the tyre onto the rim sounds mad but worked first time. CO2 apparently works.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

copydex + latex mixture painted inside tyre side walls if they leak.

Contact adhesive (£5 from wilko?) on the bead of the tyre if it wont seat. Works seriously well and no issues removing tyre later on.

mboy
    Free Member

You don't have much luck do you mate!

You need something like this as a minimum…

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/6230

And they're bloody expensive these days! I've got one similar that I remember buying about 7 years ago for about £35… You can pop round and use it if you want to save the expense of buying one yourself…

Goz
    Free Member

I know a chap who could help! 🙄

scaredypants

is this "real" tubeless or some sort of home-brew with a cut off tube ?

have you taken out the valve core and used a decent track pump ?

& LOADS of watery soap ?

(I don't put the jizz in at 1st, just soap – in case it goes badly & I abandon, or end up wearing the stuff due to a blowout). Tyre should still seat well enough with some effort at the pump, then I pump up hardish & leave for a while with the pump still attached to the valve. Even if it goes down later it should stay seated and you can remove the pump head and squirt jizz down the valve neck with a syringe before refitting valve & pumping up for good)

(I do have a compressor – Aldi, cheap but massive & very rarely used. I do use it for tyres because it's quick but I can "always" manage with a track pump)

tazzymtb

track pump always works for me wit all sorts of tyre combos do you have arms like this:

by any chance

gusamc
    Free Member

have you tried putting a rope/strap round middle of tyre, slowly tighten (forcing tyre middle into rim well) and encouraging tyre edges/bead towards rim. This should increase fit and reduce air volume required to seat -ie you might manage with a pump.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Just put a tube in it and save yourself some cash!

Trekster

really do not understand all this tubeless hype

tazzymtb

it's easy peasy, it's just that **** don't do it right or try and bodge it or run stupidly low pressures and then claim that tubeless is crap to cover their ineptitude 😉

neilforrow

argos have got a compressor on sale at the mo…

here

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pumped a tube up in it to get the bead seated etc – gonna leave it overnight.

Ghetto tubeless with a 20tube.

tazzymtb

Ghetto tubeless with a 20tube.

🙄

scaredypants

sort of wot tazzy said – most problems seem to be with that sort of kit

UST tyre?
    New tyre or well worn?

Woody
    Free Member

Get some CO2 to save yourself the hassle of going to a garage and much cheaper than a compressor unless you are doing loads of tyres.

HERE

tazzymtb

just buy some proper rims strips and do it by hand?

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

Never had a problem with ust rims or stains without fluid using a track pump. As stains kit says when inflating ouch thumb on tyre directly above valve. Works a treat.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

virtually neat washing up liquid – works every time.

lipseal
    Free Member

Get one of these
    http://www.bambi-air.co.uk/bambi/silent-oil-lubricated.html
    And very very quiet plus made here.

Wally

Remove the core before inflating. Huge difference to amount of air you can get in quickly.

TooTall
    Free Member

No compressor required. Having has the tube in overnight should work. I then hang the wheel up, deflate and remove the tube, re-seat 2/3 of the bead and put the goop in the bottom of the tyre. Remove and inflate to max pressure, slosh goop about, sorted.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just tried to inflate it but air is still coming out where the tyre doesn't sit right over the valve.

Woody
    Free Member

As you are using the 20" ghetto 'system' (as I do) have you pushed the tube edges down into the rim so that the tyre seats properly? It is usually very tight and unless you do that the tyre can't get hold of enough of the bead to seat properly.

BTW, I have never managed to get it to inflate without either a garage compressor or CO2 cartridge, despite soap and all the other tips detailed above, so it's not just you 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Might get some PVA on the rim to seal it 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Are you gripping it flat over the valve?

You need to hold the tyre so that it is flat and compresses against the valve area, a quick burst from a track pump and it works for me.

I put my tyres on my bike and used them for a coupe of days with an innertube first though, to make sure they beaded up properly.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Are you gripping it flat over the valve?

+1

Have you read what I wrote on my first year of tubless above?

z1ppy

I use a touch of stan fluid on the outside of rims to help seal it, also give you track pump a service to make sure it work at it's most efficent (clean and grease it).
    Some UST tyres just seem to work better than others though, couldn't do a thing with some Trailrakers I have, so gave up and used a tube with it 😳

Dancake
    Free Member

Had my first go the other day (29er with 24" tube/ stans method)

I went down the garage and pressed the "fully deflated" button. The first one was a pain. Put the valve at the top and tapped/ squeezed the valve area until I got it to take. Once a bit of air was in, it went up to 50psi with no drama. The second one went up like there was a tube in it!

I havn't ridden it yet 🙁 Good news bike is in the shed with 2 still-hard tyres )

What tyre are you using btw? I am on Ardent 2.4s (non ust)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Maxxis minions.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have done Minions, high rollers and advantages non-UST with stans and all went up OK – well no the first 2 didn't but that was because I was using brand new tyres – The tyres which have gone up very easily are part used – therefore the sidewalls have straightened and seat properly.

Are these new tyres BW? – I have found thick tyres like minions when new are very stiff – have you tried warming them up in the oven (not melting) and then trying?

br
    Free Member

Just get the Argos one, its well cheap.

But also buy one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88444/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/Metabo-RF363-Tyre-Inflator

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Not new, about three weeks old. I'm trying to fit them on DT Swiss 5.1 rims.

bruneep

have you tried warming them up in the oven

Hmmmm I think that would be my final act in my house.

br
    Free Member

have you tried warming them up in the oven

Hmmmm I think that would be my final act in my house.

Dunno, many years ago I heated up my (motorbike) chain up in a big tin of grease in the oven – this was how you did it then, and you could buy a product for such work. No problems, except as I got it out afterwards I slipped and 'threw' it across the kitchen floor, and the lid came off…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘F-ing tubeless!!! Someone recommend me an air compressor!!!’ is closed to new replies.