• This topic has 37 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Eye protection mtb
  • muddylegs
    Free Member

I had a bramble whip right across my face at eye level the other night. Cut eye lid and face but no damage to my eyes. I’ve been riding for years without any protection, this got be thinking…

What works best for you? Any recommendations?

mcnultycop

I only ride without glasses in driving rain.

Rad8 work well for me.

jonba
    Free Member

I go cheap. Bolle safety glasses. Available in a variety of frame styles and lenses. Silium/Spider are my favourites. Have a fair few pairs. Clear, Tinted and then ESP which is a nice in between option.

legend
    Free Member

Had a couple of pairs of safety glasses and absolutely hated them, distortion always seems terrible. Stumped up for (second hand) Oakley Race Jackets which work for me

nairnster
    Free Member

POC Crave for me. Like the big lenses as they don’t interfere with field of vision at all.

patagonian
    Free Member

I’ve been using Bolle Contours for a few years – plain in low light and ESP the rest of the time. Really good value with no distortion.

VanHalen

Bolle contours for me. Light and cheap. The light tint esp versions. I don’t find they distort at all. Cheapo sunglasses do.

Superficial
    Free Member

I ride with glasses these days (Oakley Racing Jackets with clear lenses) because it stops my eyes from watering and keeps the grit from interfering with my contacts. But yeah, I’ve often wondered how essential eye ‘protection’ is. I rode for years with no glasses and never had any real bother. Your eyelid (not eyeball) was scratched because your blink reflex worked properly!

What this thread needs is horror pictures of eye injuries.

Sonor
    Free Member

Had a pair of Bolle Spiders, which just bounced around on the end of my nose when going over anything remotely rough so Got these from CRC.

Northwind

Decathlon’s cheapest riding glasses- really just safety glasses, but they happen to fit my face perfectly and cost the same.

If it’s dry/dusty then sometimes goggles- I find my contacts get quite dried up otherwise, not too nice. I don’t really like riding in goggles and open face but it’s better than the alternatives sometimes.

vincienup
    Free Member

I picked up a set of Rad8’s in the recent sale. They’re quite good. Clarity is notably better than most cheaper options. Previously UVEX 117’s

My ‘why I wear eye protection’ war story: seven years ago while riding to work in a city centre in December there was a freak hailstorm and high wind. I apparently caught a hailstone travelling horizontally direct in my eye. An hour or so into the day at work I basically couldn’t see so was sent to the local eye unit. The Consultant was impressed with the degree of scratching on my cornea and the end result was spending a week at home with an eyepatch and regular medication.

It doesn’t take me much to get from there to the possibilities of mud, pebbles, insects etc so yep, if I’m on a bike I’ve got something covering my eyes these days.

crashrash

As an older chap I have a set of BZ optics photochromatic glasses – with the reading bit at the bottom! Means I can see to mend the bike when out and about now! Very clear and light. Would defo recommend!

goby

Ah another Rad8 user here, I picked up a set of in the recent sale too, work really well, the photochromics are great all rounder.

legend
    Free Member

Superficial – Member
    I’ve often wondered how essential eye ‘protection’ is

I’ve got one of these in my eye courtesy of not using eyewear often enough (Google horror photo for max effect):

uphillcursing
    Free Member

ooofffff……That image should carry a warning.

tjagain

Currently I am using cheapo lidl sports glasses. I have in the past used bolle safety glasses.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Bollé Contour here too clear and smoked version no distortion, very cheap and fit well. I tried Bollé Spider but found lenses bit small and fit was a bit off.

treefingers
    Free Member

Im using aliexpress glasses that are a copied shape of the oakley jawbreaker. Lens quality is great with 4 sets depending upon weather condition.
    I mainly use them for work (tree surgery) but they are great on the bike as well. Loads of different option on aliexpress as well.
    I have found the frames break eventually (so I have lots of spare lenses) but they are cheap to replace.

Kahurangi

I used Bolle’s in the past. Cheap, good coverage and ought to be certified to some proper standards. They didn’t fit my face though so I’m currently using the cheap-ish ones (bought when on sale) from Planet-X/O-O.

shredlyjoe82
    Free Member

Wouldnt ride with out my Aspect Glasses now, too many close encounters with dirt and grit in my eyes never mind the brambles!

submarined
    Free Member

10 quid oneTens from CRC. Did up very well. Scratched to buggery now though, should probably replace. Well over a year out of them though.

Edit: they’re 6 quid at the moment!

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve got Endura reactorlight ones, which i use all year round. Not bad price/protection/lens compromise.

freeagent
    Free Member

Oakley Racing Jackets here – I’m aware they’re massively overpriced for what they are, but I like ’em, and they fit my face well.

I also use Bolle safety specs for night riding.

daern
    Free Member

Done the cheap safety specs before, but I found them a bit shit, fell apart quickly and steamed up badly. They’re now relegated to the garage for use as actual safety specs when removing circlips 🙂

Currently have some Tifosi light-changing things and they’re both comfy and stay put. I wear them pretty much all of the time, except when it’s tipping down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Usually Radar EV, sometimes Pro M, FlakJacket XLJ, or others, but I almost always wear something over my eyes. Only exception is really muddy conditions off road.

Harry_the_Spider

Tifosi clear and Oakley Radars.

a11y

I almost never ride without glasses.

Used to use cheap/safety spec type then those Fakelys from eBay, but then invested in (secondhand) Oakley Racing Jackets as per above and not regretted it for a minute. Just nicer to wear and not daft money IMO.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Using Tifosi for last few years..

Northwind

Superficial – Member

What this thread needs is horror pictures of eye injuries.

I’ve lost the pic now but I had a beautifully destroyed bolle lens- massive chips in the polycarb and gouging right across to the frame- and a matching black eye and cut in my nose and forehead- after a skillful rock drop to face transition at innerleithen. Doubt I’d have come away with much eye from that one without protection. Unlucky, sure, but unlucky happens fairly often

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Rudy project photochromic Rydon’s.

cookeaa

Bolle Spiders here, with prescription lenses.

Having imperfect vision means I need to wear something anyway, safety specs fit the bill perfectly.

it’s sort of become part of the “Uniform” now for many people hasn’t it?

Once you’ve paid out for the Helmet, gloves, kneepads, camelback a pair of basic safety-specs seems like a trifling expense by comparison, but actually has the potential to prevent some quite significant injuries…

martinkiely
    Free Member

Bolle here too – used to use the Contours, but have now switched to the Rush – flat arms seem more comfortable under helmets. The number of times I get whipped across the face by undergrowth on my normal routes means I never ride without glasses now – it feels as wrong as riding without a helmet!

legend
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member
    it’s sort of become part of the “Uniform” now for many people hasn’t it?

yeah I think so, handily it’s very ENDURO.

I struggled (even with good glasses for years) only to realise that my old helmet must’ve been affecting the way they sit 🙄

smashit
    Free Member

I go through a set of BBB three-lens models about every 2-3 years. Seems decent value to me.

Kuco

Use prescription Oakley Flack Jackets, use to use Adidas Evil Eye with insert.

gonefishin
    Free Member

But yeah, I’ve often wondered how essential eye ‘protection’ is

Having had a scratched cornea thanks to a branch on tree that I was riding past, I personally would rate eye protection above a helmet. I’ll sometimes ride without a helmet, I’ll almost never ride without glasses.

Generally I ride with cheap Madison glasses but pretty much any sort of wrap around glasses will do the job.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Oakley’s with the trail lenses work perfect. I have one set of eyes I intend keeping them. Essential? Keeps the dog shit, branches and brambles etc away. I wear them on the road to keep the bugs and crap out of my eyes.

jruk
    Free Member

Rad8 504s for any other than night or when it’s hacking down. For night I use clear Uvex 109. When it’s really raining they’re all much the same – tried various lenses and coatings but not found one that really works.

The rads could do with being a bit deeper but the antifog treatment works and as a company they’re great to deal with.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Eye protection mtb’ is closed to new replies.