• This topic has 82 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by accu.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Eye protection. Do you?
  • RustySpanner

Many thanks folks.

Will try the Bolle safety specs tomorrow.
    If they don’t work, I’ll go for some posh ones.

Once again, thanks.

amedias
    Free Member

How do you all keep them from fogging up when you’re sweating like a para in a spelling test?

They only fog up if you go slow 😉

I’m actually serious about that, they only fog when you come to a stop, get going at more than a walking pace and they clear again within a few seconds.

Don’t they wobble around a bit too?

Not really no…

andytherocketeer

Got cheap Uvex with interchangeable lenses. 99% of the time the orangey yellow lenses stay in there. 1% of the time is in Slovenia with very white rocks and lots of glare, so the dark lenses come in handy.

Cost me a load of Airmiles that were about to expire. Or probably about €30 in real money.

Northwind

supersaiyan – Member

How do you all keep them from fogging up when you’re sweating like a para in a spelling test? Don’t they wobble around a bit too?

Not really a problem on descents, on sweaty climbs you don’t need them- I tend to tuck them into my helmet if they’re annoying me though most of the time I just wear them (it’s mostly psychological I reckon!)

Won’t wobble around if they fit.

hairyscary

No. I’ve tried various pairs but sweat running down the inside of the lens obscures my vision.

eshershore
    Free Member

will never ride without glasses, whether different pairs of Oakley sunnies, Madison clear classes or Spy goggles for snow riding

not ever worth taking the chance with your eyesight

whether its a small piece of grit flicking into your eye on a fireroad, mud sprayed into your eyes on a downhill descent, a tree branch trying to gouge your eyeball out on a trail, or simply bright sunlight on a descent, protect your eyes!

you will get the opportunity to buy more glasses. I have never seen eyeballs for sale..or broken limbs rebuilt when something gets into your eyes and causes a crash.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

All the time, day and night… bit paranoid because I have lasik flaps on my eyeballs. That aside I dont see why you wouldnt, its not like your vision is unimportant, why risk it.

brakes
    Free Member

:googles laskik flaps:

brakes
    Free Member

not pron 🙁

neninja
    Free Member

Always wear glasses – had enough flies, stones, branches hit them to know its the way to go. I use –
    Bloc shifters
    Tifosi dolomite fototec
    Oakley Split jacket transitions clear/black

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup I’m a glasses & goggles tart par excellence. Have got a drawer full of them everything from safety specs to Oakleys and Rudy Project and lenses for every condition

Am lucky enough to have pretty good eyesight and I do everything I can to protect my eyes

Pridds

Always had problems with fogging lenses but now put washing up liquid on the inside surface, then put them in the airing cupboard overnight and then polish them and don’t fog at all now

Pridds

Double post

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yep always. Only one good eye and want to keep it that way.

Goggles or shades depending. Shades are some endura interchangeable lens jobs, clear, orange, light or dark.

muddyfool

Mostly just sunglasses when it’s sunny. I do have some clear lenses that I wear occasionally in the mud but they’re a bit scratched.

The tales of metal shards etc in this thread have made me reconsider though. Eyesight is pretty important come to think of it! I’ll be ordering some of this Bolle ones I think…

Dibbs
    Free Member

No. I’ve tried various pairs but sweat running down the inside of the lens obscures my vision.

+1

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The cure for dripping sweat issues is a Buff, or similar alternative. They do fog up if you stop but I just take them off or slide them down my nose till I get going again. I guess it also depends on the type of trails you ride. I ride alot of woods where you do ride through lots of foliage, clouds of little insects and other things that can get in your eyes. If you ride open trails then I guess the risk of getting stuff in your eyes is less.

takisawa2

No, & I should really know better…I had a splinter go through my eye as a child, while peering over a train bridge. Had a 4 hour op to try & fix it, but to this day I can’t read with that eye.
    We’ve started using Bolle at work now, & the sports style wrap around ones I picked up are actually very good for riding in, better than the Uvex ones we used to have. I have some of their prescription safety glasses & they are as good as the £350 designer specs I have. Next year I might order some prescription sports style ones.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Having to scrape dog shit out from under my eyelid convinced me that eyeware all the time is a very good idea.

bikebouy
    Free Member

More often than not yes. I tend to use my Oakley’s that have a changeable lens and a mirrored shade.

I’m officially the sweatiest rider known to cycling and yes, sweat trickling down and fogging is annoying, but still pales against getting something nasty in your eye.

soundninjauk

Always.

Oakley Photochromic Split Jackets at the moment. They deal with varying light conditions really well.

Houns

One or two pairs

Houns – Member

One or two pairs

😯

I knew you were a fan!

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ that’s ridiculous 😆

Houns

It’s minuscule compared to some!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep always wear sunnies. Currently got some crap Endura ones, a pair of Oakley Radar’s are on my Christmas list.

prawny

Clear radars almost always for me, although I find the clear ones a right bugger to keep clean. Might try something else off road over the winter, but on the road the radars are amazing.

njee20
    Free Member

Ever wear the ‘Over the Tops’ Houns?

I always do, Radars or Jawbones. Tend to take them off if its raining and tuck them into my helmet vents or put them on the back of my head.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes always, set of Jawbones with various lenes.

Houns

Not when riding 😛

DanW
    Free Member

What good timing for this thread 😀

I am a religious glasses wearer while riding, mainly because I feel I can descend faster without worrying about the muck getting flung up in to the eye. Maybe climbing in the pouring rain I might remove them.

Anyway…

I managed to get a small splinter embedded in my eyelid and eye on the one ride I haven’t worn glasses this Summer. Sods Law. I got some muck in the eye but didn’t think much of it at the time. Gradually over a day or two the eye got redder and more sore to the extent of the socket swelling and not being able to open the eye. I had it checked out very early (before it got anywhere near that bad) and the scratches to the cornea were evident but the docs could not find a cause. Then it got worse as above but still no cause found. Eventually when it got really bad the docs were thankfully able to find the very small splinters. Touch wood (not splinters!) it now seems to be on the mend.

A rare and freak accident but painful none the less! I really wouldn’t recommend anyone messing up their eyes and even if you do not do any damage, getting flies/ muck/ whatever in the eye riding off road isn’t much fun

mangatank
    Free Member

Can’t believe this subject is even under discussion. It’s up there with ‘do you use a saddle?’

bearnecessities

Houns, that is ace 😀

doubledunter
    Free Member

Always wear glasses, after expermimenting with various saftey glasses but found the scratched too easy I splashed out on oakley racing jackets, also have a pair of endura mullets…

mattjg
    Free Member

Eye protection. Do you?

No. I’d like to but have yet to find a pair of glasses that don’t mess with my short range (couple of metres) depth perception, including the prescription glasses I use for driving and TV. It’s a bit of a problem actually because for mid/long range the prescription glasses are a real benefit.

rickt
    Free Member

In short – yes..

I have some clear, yellow and normal tinted glasses.

Never go out without them

oldgit
    Free Member

which make me feel I’m floating above the bike.

Cheap ones do that.

Suffered with dry eyes since my accident three years ago. Tried glasses, but found the optics bad or the glasses just plain uncomfortable. Went to Oakleys a few months ago… and haven’t looked back.

Northwind

oldgit – Member

Cheap ones do that.

Not so much about price, just about design- some safety glasses are really just designed to give good central vision, so there’s a fair bit of distortion in the peripherals, which is weird and distracting… But they’re not all like that. (and some “proper” bike glasses are just not very good)

Garry_Lager

Generally don’t bother with them – too much aggravation with fogging and cleaning them on rides IME of loads of different types. Obv they’re a good idea, just never found the right pair.

Quite like yellow tinted ones when I do wear them – v late 90s look but they works wonders on mentally warming up a slate-grey British morning ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Eye protection. Do you?’ is closed to new replies.