Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Eye jackets vs Radars
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Lost my casual sunglasses on holiday 🙁 fortunately I am in the US where Oakleys are quite a bit cheaper. I have some Half Jackets at home that I use for MTB and some Eye Jackets with me that I use for road, but both have photochromic lenses which are no good as casual shades because they don’t go dark when driving. So my choices are

1) Fives for $90
    2) Radars for $160 then sell the Eye Jackets and when I get home convert the Half Jackets for casual use.

I reckon Radars would be better than Eye Jackets for road as they seem much better ventilated and further from my face so less likely to get sweat spattered on. Anyone used both?

The-Beard

I use racing jackets, find they are actually better than radars for keeping sweat off the lenses, think it’s the nosepiece design. Have photochromic lenses for MTB and some polarized for road/driving. Far better fit than radars too. Not quite the answer you were after I suppose!

DT78
    Free Member

are eye jackets what used to be known as jawbones? If so I have jawbones (1 authentic and 1 fakley) and a pair of radar XLs.

For me, as someone who gets hot the jawbones mist up alot (I only use the authentic lenses). I now ride both mtb and road with the radar because of this.

I agree you can get the odd sweat dribble run down the inside of the radars but its rare, and in my case doesn’t bother me as much as not being able to see at all with the jawbones.

I use jawbones for colder / less intense sessions. Probably should sell them for the powermeter fund.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Hm.. I get fine droplets of spray that don’t bead off the lenses, pain in the arse it is.

They are pretty close to my eyebrows even though fit is good. Little air flow in there.

flange
    Free Member

I have both, with the same type of lense in both glasses (racing jackets have the vented lense though)

For riding IMO the radars are superior – fit better, lighter, less noticeable. I personally thing the racing jackets look better but I wouldnt use either for casual, bit too storm trooper for my liking.

njee20
    Free Member

I use racing jackets, find they are actually better than radars for keeping sweat off the lenses, think it’s the nosepiece design. Have photochromic lenses for MTB and some polarized for road/driving. Far better fit than radars too.

Swap “Racing Jackets” and “Radars” in every instance, and that applies to me! My Radars fit far better, I don’t sweat on the lense, I personally also prefer the look, and the uninterrupted view if you look over your shoulder. My Radars also stay put in the vents of my helmet if I take them off, my RJs don’t. Ergo, personal choice. I’ve got a small head.

I do however have the Photochromic lenses in my Racing Jackets, and they are excellent.

Hm.. I get fine droplets of spray that don’t bead off the lenses, pain in the arse it is.

I get that on my Racing Jackets, not on my Radars.

are eye jackets what used to be known as jawbones?

Nay, Racing Jackets are Jawbones.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I was all set to buy the Radars but I found out they had the same problem as my Half Jackets in that in the drop handlebar position I find my view obscured by the top of the frame.

So I went for the cheap option and bought some Fives, which I do like. Dark bronze is a bit dark though.

Houns

Should’ve tried the Radar XL’s

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Eye jackets vs Radars’ is closed to new replies.