Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Extremely excited boy and very proud dad
  • fatboyjon

FBJ Jnr number two has some challenging developmental issues and some physical development problems to contend with too. He’s had a fantastic year on a balance bike, zooming round with a huge grin on his face and usually a bucket a something un-necessarily heavy dangling from the handlebars. Last week he had a birthday and we thought it was time to try some pedals so he got a new bike. Enormous excitement and a trip to the park in the rain followed. I hadn’t decided on whether to fit a balance handle or not so took him expecting a short ride, me walking and holding him up until the lure of the swings became too much. Ten minutes later, he’s cracked pedalling and cannot stop giggling. Since then he’s been on the bike every day and managed the mile round trip to pre-school 4 times, shouting “me got new one bike with pedals” at anyone and everyone.

I can’t wait to get home from work now so I can take him out again, no doubt with more questions about when he can go on the skate park.

This beats every bit of singletrack I’ve ever ridden. Well, apart from maybe one.

DickBarton

Nice one…top job Junior…keep up the great work!

MoreCashThanDash

And this is why we need that “like” button!

piha
    Free Member

Great stufff!!!

flaps
    Free Member

🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

😀

Inbred456
    Free Member

It is just the best feeling watching them pedal for the first time. Top parenting FBJ!

crapjumper
    Free Member

Well done fatboy jr

twistedpencil

Yay!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice one mate!

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

Times on bikes – always deserve likes 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

belugabob
    Free Member

Times on bikes – always deserve likes

(Tikes)

beagle
    Free Member

Good stuff!!!

fatboyjon

Boy now much less excited. Bike removed and hung up for 48 hours due to him hitting big sis. It was all going so well too…

geoffj

Boy now much less excited. Bike removed and hung up for 48 hours due to him hitting big sis. It was all going so well too…

🙁

Isn’t that what (bossy) big sisters deserve?

matt_outandabout

Your son wins. Suberb!

(Edit: how’s the sister?)

wrecker
    Free Member

How lovely!

“me got new one bike with pedals”

My lad has exactly the same terminology!
    Unfortunately he doesn’t like change, and the beautiful easy rider belter I bought him sits untouched in the garage in favour of the Strider he’s been riding (very well it must be said) since he was 2!

andy4d

Your 1st post made me smile, your 2nd made me laugh. Kids..who’d have ’em. 😀

fatboyjon

UPDATE, SHOULD ANYONE REALLY BE BOTHERED.

It looks like the boy has actually picked up on the idea that the threat of losing his bike is just not worth being an 4rse for. Another week of daily pedaling while he’s been on half term and I’ve had him on the tag-a-long to see how he liked that. Result was; a loop round the cul-de-sac left such a huge grin that I couldn’t even consider taking him off it so we went out with big sis on her bike and a few friends and did 9 miles, including a few laps of a local pump(ish) track. when I stopped to give a mate my phone to take a few pics of his grin to send to my wife, he practically begged to go around again.

Thank God, thank crunchie, thank goodness or thank anybody else for bikes. He’s never been so happy or so happy to conform at the thought of not being able to ride. This is obviously why I discovered mountain bikes in the first place.

gozarch
    Free Member

😀

garage-dweller

Fatboyjon that’s brilliant.

I love hearing positive stuff like this in a world that’s seemingly full of bad news and bs I’m really pleased there’s yet another kid out there enjoying their bike or anything frankly with such enthusiasm. It’s my life long passion (along with cake and pie). My two boys love their bikes, the oldest especially.

Each step on that journey to pedalling along on their own without the stabilisers is fantastic and then one day you know the little blighters will drop you on a climb and it will be job done…

MoreCashThanDash

😀

jairaj

what a lovely story! 😀

thanks for making me smile and feel all warm inside

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WHERE’S THE BLOODY “LIKE!” BUTTON, EH?

WHERE IS IT?

🙂

matt_outandabout

This thread wins. As does your son.

Edric64
    Free Member

Yawn

scaredypants

I haven’t been out to play on my bike for weeks 🙁

*like*, all the same

martymac

A great, heartwarming story, more of this please.

flumewelck
    Free Member

Made me smile too

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

A great story about bikes on a bike forum !

RoterStern
    Free Member

Proud dad moments are fantastic aren’t they? My youngest son is also bike mad but older two I just can’t seem to get them away from their computers even though they have both got fairly nice bikes. 🙄

mugsys_m8

My son’s 1st bike was a singlespeed (bear with me). We go touring every year and I take my singlespeed too. I told him he was cool because he was riding singlespeed…however he wanted gears…next bike bought because he grew out of the other one, this one had gears…..

That father’s day, he presented me with a piece of art done at school for Father’s day all done in the theme of: ‘Je t’aime parce que’ so mine says: Je t’aime parce que tu as m’acheter un vélo avec vitesses’.: I love you because you bought me a bike with gears.

Bloody traitor.

To this day I carry it in a pocket in my wash bag as I travel a lot with work and am away from them sometimes upto 6-8 weeks. It makes me laugh everytime.

Sorry, I’m away at present and missing the children like mad. It’s saturday and I’m in a muddy dusty mining office in the middle of Africa. Carry you on.

i_like_food

Brilliant, I totally agree with you OP, the best rides I’ve had have been with my son. Many more happy times to come.

Aye_Sparticus
    Free Member

That’s fantastic ..bikes are great,kids are great
    glad to hear he’s enjoying it

jamj1974

Brilliant stuff all round OP.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Extremely excited boy and very proud dad’ is closed to new replies.