Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • extreme mountain running
  • yunki
    Free Member

probs been done, but I couldn’t find it on the forum search.

My mate did the ‘dartmoor in a day’ event last week and I was pretty impressed.

But then I saw a film of Andreas Stiendl on Netflix

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8WeZOG4JoU[/video]

craigxxl
    Free Member

I hate running up hills, why would any sane person want to run up mountain.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is that scrambling wearing Lycra ?

Some of the best mountain runners in the world are from the UK, specifically Yorkshire

Keva
    Free Member

nice 🙂

MrSparkle

Some of the best mountain runners in the world are from the UK, specifically Yorkshire

Really? Ben Mounsey in the Mens. Who else? Jebby used to be.

I hate running up hills, why would any sane person want to run up mountain.

Yea, mad eh. Some folk cycle off road too I believe. Crazy.

yunki
    Free Member

Was making me feel a little bit sick watching some of it.

I love it when he reaches each summit and there’s a bunch of guys in serious mountaineering clobber, helmets and ropes.. and he just trots past in his shorts and trainers to launch himself at the next perilous ridge traverse

allfankledup

Glencoe Skyline is on this weekend in case you fancied seeing proper nutters in action
    Running nutters

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Really? Ben Mounsey in the Mens. Who else? Jebby used to be.

Tom Adams

Spin
    Free Member

Glencoe Skyline is on this weekend in case you fancied seeing proper nutters in action

I’m doing that, going to be pretty cool lining up with Killian Jornet. Great forecast too!

TheDTs
    Free Member

LOVE Zermatt.

allfankledup

Best of luck Spin – saw some folk going off training when the mrs was running The Devil. “Bugger that” springs to mind…

footflaps

I’m doing that, going to be pretty cool lining up with Killian Jornet. Great forecast too!

That’s a tough course!

How long do you expect to take?

bensales
    Free Member

6 hours 33 minutes for last year’s winner

https://www.strava.com/activities/718085181/overview

Killian will likely go faster.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Not as extreme but a nice little challenge none the less… Im running the below in a few weeks

50 mile and 4k of ascent …. Lakes in a Day

mogrim

Eh? Not many here I can see, and it’s probably the top mountain race at the moment:

2017 UTMB Results

(Only top 10 Brit I can see is Anna-Marie Watson in 7th).

Glen Coe looks good, too. Weather would be the major problem there, lucky you’ve got a decent forecast Spin!

allfankledup

Aye – it was only a little bit of snow on Ben Nevis earlier this week. Miles away from Glencoe – you’ll be grand…

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/first-snow-winter-falls-arctic-11173812

Spin
    Free Member

@footflaps I was just under 9.5 hrs 2 years ago but its a different course now but I’m in much better shape. Hoping for under 9 hrs.

@bensales not a given that Killian will win but should be interesting!

jimdubleyou

My brother is doing the Ben Nevis Ultra tomorrow. Nutter that he is.

Pyro

Really? Ben Mounsey in the Mens. Who else? Jebby used to be.[/quote]

Hmmm. Skyrunner World Series rankings say otherwise. The top Brit in the Sky series (in 21st place) is Jon Albon, and he’s from Essex. Duncan Coombs is in 69th, from Edinburgh. Murray Strain, 95th, also Scottish.

In the Ultra series, Hector Haines comes in 40th and he’s from Yorkshire but lives in Edinburgh if I remember rightly. Oli Blomfield 93rd, from the Lakes. Tom Owens, 95th, from Glasgow.

One out of 6 ain’t bad…

NewRetroTom

I was at school with the Symonds brothers who are from Yorkshire and not too slow. Neither of them are pro runners though, they both have proper careers.

ciron
    Free Member

Mogrim, Damian Hall was 12th in the UTMB this year. I finished the TDS (http://utmbmontblanc.com/en/page/22/tds%C2%AE.html) and then watched the UTMB. The lead guys are very very fast.

Good luck Spin!

Marin
    Free Member

Good luck spin. Nutcase.

marcus
    Free Member

Jasmin Paris, Carol Morgan, Nikki Spinks, Marcus Scotney, Jim Mann and Tom Hollins (off the top of my head) all seem to fit into ‘some of the best in the world’ category for this year.

thegreatape
    Free Member

*adds Spin to illustrious list of forum lunatics.

Good luck. I’m off this weekend, I might come and heckle if the weather is nice.

mogrim

Mogrim, Damian Hall was 12th in the UTMB this year. I finished the TDS

TDS is on my list of maybes for next year, got the points already for the draw but think I’m one short when it comes to the UTMB draw 🙁

And I’m not saying there aren’t any UK runners, but I don’t know of any that are considered contenders for the top spots at the major races. That said, I live in Spain and I’m more familiar with the Spanish racers, but I do sort of follow the ultra results and I’m pretty sure I’d have noticed a UK runner winning a major.

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers for the good wishes folks.

@thegreatape if you do come out and want to hurl some abuse I’m no 128

There’s also a live tracker, could be an interesting battle at the head of the race if watching dots on a screen can ever be interesting!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Spin, best of luck!! I’ve been following the build up. Looks a good event…. have fun.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Yorkshire farmer Nicky Spinks and her record-breaking double Bob Graham run …

Spin
    Free Member

Well, Killian won in a new record time and last year’s winner was second and also quicker than last year. Emelie Forsberg won the women’s race. Celebrations all round in their house!

footflaps

How’d you get on?

Spin
    Free Member

22nd or 23rd depending on where you look. Official results not up yet but my SI print out says 22nd in 8.33.55. Totally delighted with that but it was a tough shift.

mogrim

Well done!!! 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

Thanks mogrim, it is a bonkers race.

fatmax

Spin – that’s amazing, huge congratulations! You get the chance to say hello to Kilian and Emelie?

Spin
    Free Member

Thanks fatmax. I saw Emelie on the out and back to Stob Coire nan Lochan but Kilian was long gone! It’s an awesome weekend of events with loads of folks out on the hills cheering.

Duggan

Spin (and other ultra runners on here) – if you don’t mind me asking, how do you get along with injuries when training and performing in ultra events? Are you just “lucky” and blessed with injury free bodies or do you do loads of yoga or Pilates or anything like that? Do you find you just “run through” a lot of aches and pains or do they never actually occur?

I’d love to have a go but suspect my body would let me down and I’m always worried I’ll do something permanent and end up not being able to run at all- not sure if I just need to be a bit more mentally robust?!

Duggan

PS congrats on the result, it is very impressive

Spin
    Free Member

I’m lucky with injuries but I also stretch a lot and listen to my body. I do run with lots of niggles but the trick is working out what’s just a niggle and what’s more sinister. Building up the miles slowly helps.

marcus
    Free Member

Awesome result fella. Course looks stunning. How much is runnable ?

footflaps

Excellent result Spin!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘extreme mountain running’ is closed to new replies.