Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Extractor fan experts required
  • slowboydickie

I bought a v powerful twin fan cooker hood extractor but need to route the duct for 3m. Problem?

Cheers
    Rich

tcairns
    Free Member

I used to like large agricultural machinery but can’t help you with this…sorry!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I no understand?

creamegg
    Free Member

What’s it say on the box? Should be fine tho- you using solid duct?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Min 100mm ?

nickjb
    Free Member

I no understand?

I fully understand what tcairns is talking about. Does that make me an extractor fan expert?

To to OP, I can’t see 3m being an issue especially if you use solid with a smooth bore.

Albanach
    Free Member

Shouldnt be a problem I’d imagine. Check the spec out in the instructions or contact the supplier but I’ve recently installed had an extractor fitted and the run from the inlet to the outlet is around 2.5m and nothing was mentioned to me. What make and model is it?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I to no longer yearn for mechanised farm machines……

Fan ducting :

Are you going to put some kind of self sealing grille/louvre on the external wall outlet? the fan outlet in our kitchen opens very easily when the wind blows against the gable end sending a draught into the kitchen.

Dont see the ducting length being an issue.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

There is a maximum length for kitchen ducting, usually specified by the machine manufacturer, but can’t remember it off top of my head. 3m is OK though as long as it’s a straight as possible, it’s the bends that knacker the job.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As long as you use wide enough diameter piping, as per the instructions…

paul4stones

Would a plane take off more easily into the exhaust?

spooky_b329

Our place has a cooker hood but its just for looks as it simply recirculates…not even a charcoal filter in it.

Down to B&Q, they do expandable metal duct that you stretch out, much cheaper than rigid stuff. It goes straight through the loft, if cabinet tops I’d have used the rectangular stuf.

3 metres with two 90 degree bends is fine on mine, prevents the kitchen steaming up when boiling unlidded pasta etc without the extractor on its middle setting.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Anyone know if there is also a maximum vertical rise on cooker hood ducting?

Renovating a barn in the Alps (poor me… 😈 ) and the previous owner has pulled a bit of a cheeky one by leaving us to deal with the downstairs neighbour’s cooker hood duct.

Leaving aside the fact that I don’t think the duct has been properly fire-protected where it passes through the slab separating the 2 properties, I think his intention that we should route it all the way to the roof (roughly 5m rise!) isn’t going to work. 5-6m long is pushing it for a horizontal duct, never mind a vertical one!

qwerty
    Free Member

Where can I source some astheticly pleasing duct, maybe stainless as I need to run mine inside the kitchen to the outside wall, ideally one piece approx 2m long and some nice fixings???

andyl
    Free Member

3m should be fine. You are just extracting smells and steam from the kitchen so losses are important but not that important given that most extractors seem quite good compared to little bathroom ones. I would try and have a slight drop on the main section of pipe running out of the wall (assuming it going horizontal to prevent condensation running back into your extractor) and as above keep all the corners etc as few as possible, use smooth bore as much as you can and don’t go smaller than the min 100mm.

not an expert but done a few systems of different types including fume cabinets etc (where the experts have been stuck). But check for any regs and advice on installation stuff.

My one in the flat as a straight section running above the living room for 4m + 1m wall thickness and a temporary bit of extending section connecting it from the top of the standard cooker hood and it does extract and you do get steam coming out of the wall vent.

Albanach
    Free Member

qwerty check with local stainless steel fabrication shop – they might be able to bend & drill flat plate for you.

slowboydickie

Thanks folks. Qwerty have a look on eBay there are all sorts of plastic and metal piping on there at reasonable prices.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Extractor fan experts required’ is closed to new replies.