• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Extra wide grip epiphany
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Doh. Won’t be buying those superstar ones again!

MSP

Hang on, are you saying that the grips hang off the edge of the bars beyond the normal bar width?

philwarren11
    Free Member

lol if you havent fitted them properly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deviant
    Free Member

I don’t get it?….surely you buy wider bars if you want a wider grip?
    All wide grips do is give you more hand space.

Always fit them flush with your bar end plugs, grips should never overhang the ends of the bars.

wombat

Is it a sort of gripiphany?

matt_outandabout

Perhaps he fitted the grips to the trees, making the tree trunks wider and the gap smaller?

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it a sort of gripiphany?

😆

sideshow
    Free Member

No, they don’t overhang the end of the bars!

I’m saying for a fixed hand position, if your grips are wider then you’ll need wider bars to accommodate the unnecessary grip. You’re limited in how much ‘spare’ grip goes on the inside of your hand position, assuming you still want to be able to reach your brake levers, so inevitably some ends up on the outside.

So I realised they’re a bad plan, unless your hands are 150mm wide or something.

On the flip side I realised that standard sized grips let me saw down the bars and hence obtain a wide hand position without so much risk of clipping trees 😀

MSP

Nope not a clue what you are going on about, you shouldn’t have taken all that ecstasy and fried your brain.

llama

still confused – you know you don’t have to have your hands in the middle right?

anyway I like them – you can vary your hand position more when you don’t need to cover the brakes (e.g. climbing or road) – and they are nice and thick. My brakes would easily be 20mm inside of normal sized grips

legend
    Free Member

My brakes would easily be 20mm inside of normal sized grips

However…. you do often see levers butted up against grips on those who still multi-finger brake for some reason (usually levers wound miles out too)

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

So basically you bought extra wide grips but don’t actually have bigger than average hands that call for such a thing??

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Someones been doing a spot of too much thinking…

Rorschach
    Free Member

These too long then?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I tried a 150 but they are a tad too wide for my palm I have long thingers Endura Xl size but not wide palms.

andyl
    Free Member

These too long then?

is that a grip or a sex toy?

nach
    Free Member

OP is right. I’ve ridden with someone who was trying out long grips and couldn’t get their shifters or brakes in quite the right position as a result. If you set your levers up for single finger braking, long grips can be a really bad idea.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Extra wide grip epiphany’ is closed to new replies.