Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Extra long QR for singlespeed?
  • spicer
    Free Member

I’ve changed my 456 Carbon back to singlespeed (using the on-one sliding dropouts), but as I’ve gone to tighten everything up, I’ve realised the QR isnt long enough. I can’t change the wheel to a bolt through at the moment so am using the quick releases.

I’ve got the width of the swap/dropouts, then about 3mm extra on each side where the flange of the chain tugs rests on the outer side of the dropouts. I can just about get 2mm of the QR cap threaded on with the cam fully open, so no chance of tightening it.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I need an extra long qr?

(such as this http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/58896/Adventure_Mounting_Trailer_Extra_Long_Rear_Quick_Release_Skewer_

spicer
    Free Member

Oh, and I’ve tried 3 different QR’s, no luck with any! (shimano, turbo trainer one and another)

Onzadog
    Free Member

this oneis 173mm instead of the standard 168mm

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’re doing something wrong.* I am struggling to imagine what though.

Does the on one slot drop out bolt on not taper to negate the need for a tug?

*I think

everyone
    Free Member

You only 1 chain tug on the drive side. Get a Shimano qr and tighten it right up.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’ve got the same issue with Surly tugnuts on both sides of my Surly KM.

I’m just going to take the one off the disc side.

wwaswas

Single chain tug and a standard qr. My c456 was fine for a year like this.

spicer
    Free Member

Ahh ok, I’ve been using the tugs on both sides.

135mm hub, + 2 dropouts at 8mm each + 2 tugs at 4.5mm each didnt leave enough thread. Although my QR’s are measuring at 162/3mm, not 168 Onza.

Will go and give it a go!

spicer
    Free Member

I am a little doubtful of the wheel staying in line properly, I do ride anything and everything (with as much dh as I get the chance to do) on it, but I’ll see how it goes!

joshvegas
    Free Member

The wheel is pull forward under tension from your pedalling.

The non drive side istn’t exposed to that sort of tension.

spicer
    Free Member

I was thinking more from the bumps! But that shouldnt be much of an issue with the dropouts being horizontal and the mostly vertical forces from said bumps

cp

What tugs are you using and are you sure you have everything the correct way round? Do you have any pictures?

I ran two tugs (it’s far easier to align the wheel in the frame with two IME, and don’t forget you have all sorts of braking forces from the other side trying to rag the wheel out) with a bog standard Shimano QR and DMR style tugs no problems.

TiRed

That’s why my genesis uses rear facing sprung bolts in the dropouts. Lose a tugnut, or even both, and clamp a Shimano QR down hard.

singlespeedstu

and don’t forget you have all sorts of braking forces from the other side trying to rag the wheel out

The braking forces try and pull the wheel backwards not forwards so a chain tug on the brake side doesn’t help.

Stoner
    Free Member

I use two surly tugnuts with a SSC Sqr, there’s enough thread.

mick_r

What hub? If a Shimano QR one you can rebuild with a solid nutted axle for less than £10.

spicer
    Free Member

Fits on fine with one tug instead of two. Will update if I get any slipping on the non-tug side but it seems pretty solid!

vmgscot

I have used Halo Porkies XL – they are longer if you still need something

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Extra long QR for singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.