• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Extra bottle cage mount
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m looking to do some much longer rides this year, and possibly in areas where cafe stops will be few and far between.

Has anyone got any recommendations for fitting a 3rd bottle cage to a carbon road bike?
    Maybe a behind the saddle thing – if there are any that actually work?

Open to all options – bars and seat post both carbon, so no massive crushing clamp jaws of death for those please.

wwaswas

Jersey pocket?

parkesie
    Free Member

One of those camel backs that sit around the lower back.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Tried jersey pocket and don’t like it.
    Would massively prefer the bike to be carrying the water not me.

scotroutes

That Decathlon one works pretty well. I’ve used one on the forks of my Fatbike and didn’t die.

Another option is a bar/stem mounted feedbag. Revelate, Wildcat etc will have something. It’s just strapped on, so no crushing force (tape any carbon to be safe) and is very handy.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Fix it under the downtube using one of those kits

Or in true STW fashion, go an buy a bike with multiple cage mounts on forks etc

pictonroad

Specialized do a variety of reserve packs in their SWAT system, 1 or 2 bottles or a combination. You will need a compatible saddle.

legend
    Free Member

Some odd suggestions here given that it’s a road bike. Just embrace your inner triathlete….

(single versions also available)

fifeandy
    Free Member

@legend – not against embracing my inner triathlete, but from what I can tell, behind the saddle solutions are either eye wateringly expensive, or break after 20mins.

@scotroutes good call on the feed bag – apidura do one that will match my other bikepacking stuff – bit expensive, but versatile at least.

@decathlon mount – i like the look of that design, and a bargain too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tried jersey pocket and don’t like it.

Just get used to it, I don’t notice it’s there. Feels like less faff too, one less thing to transfer to the bike when leaving the house.

faustus

I’ve used a feedbag on my road bike and it’s nice, but you have to check your knees won’t brush it when out of the saddle, and it will rub the headtube at the bottom, so will need some helitape protection. What about a top cap mount like the alpkit bheesty?

jimdubleyou
    jonba
    Free Member

I never really found a great solution to this when I asked. The few rides where I thought it would be a problem I took a disposable or collapsable bottle in my pocket and drank that first. I also bought a couple of SIS 1L bottles.

You could try one of those expandable cages and take one bottle that is much bigger. BBB do one as do salsa

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c11/bottles-cages-c139/salsa-anything-cage-p15496/s44956?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=salsa-anything-cage-salrk8055&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuJXFBRDirIGnpZLE-N4BEiQAqV0KGg5SlzDWrZKKktoBFIyRojlYc7YFgzWmTpcXg453NiAaAupo8P8HAQ

benp1

Elite bottle cage mounts are plastic yet very robust

Use mine for adding a 2nd cage to my solaris, work great, no problem off road

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Extra bottle cage mount’ is closed to new replies.