Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • "External Spring" dropper seat posts
  • alexpalacefan

This may just be in my mind, so please humour me.

Anybody know of a primitive dropper seatpost that used an external spring, one end clamped round the seat post, the other fixed to the QR bolt?

You undid the QR and sat to lower, then re-fastened it. Opposite to raise.

Any thoughts?

APF

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hite Rite from the 1980s, rumoured to be re-released soon.

alexpalacefan

Ah, yes, this thing. That's just what I was thinking of.

So, any if the engineering geniuses on here up to making one? Just looks like a bit of coiled steel and a P clamp…

C'mon, you know you want to.

APF

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try US ebay, that's where I got mine.

mintimperial

I had one that came with my old (1991) Breezer many, many years ago. I took it off after a few months of not using it much. I found it pretty much impossible to use it whilst riding along, probably because the QR was behind the seatpost. Might be a bit easier with the QR at the front I suppose, but still going to be a bit of a faff.

Trimix
    Free Member

Looks a bit of a bodge – Im sure it works, but I reckon if its going to be used often / properly, it will need to be easy to operate – say from the bars. In a review of the modern version the bar mounted control broke and the tester said it was then much harder to use as he didnt want to let go of the bars, reach between his legs and adjust, just as he went over the lip of a large drop. He ended up haveing to stop, adjust then ride. Well given that you dont need one. Just a normal QR will do that.

Im waiting for Rockshocks to come out with theirs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tester said it was then much harder to use as he didnt want to let go of the bars, reach between his legs and adjust, just as he went over the lip of a large drop. He ended up haveing to stop, adjust then ride. Well given that you dont need one. Just a normal QR will do that.

radcore man ….

seriously did he write that ….

cynic-al
    Free Member

They are still way easier/quicker than just a QR. If they make it again I might get one and flog my Joplin.

alexpalacefan

Al, found one on US ebay, thanks for the advice, and hopefully got it bought (via mate w/ PP).

Gonna fix the lower end to the seat tube with a P clip, as no room in the QR clamp.

Fingers crossed,

APF

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘"External Spring" dropper seat posts’ is closed to new replies.