Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • external headset TOP in a 44mm frame
  • foureyes
    Free Member

Morning all, is there such a thing as a top headset for a 44mm ID frame which has bearings on the outside, like most of the 44mm ID lower races? its a tapered fork, i notice you can get 1.5″ top external bearing jobbies, but i will of course need it for 1 1/8 at the top.

As a lanky geezer i suffer from these fashionable short headtubes, and anything to bulk it up and reduce the giant stack of spacers i need would be good!

foureyes
    Free Member

i should add – it’s not quite all an aesthetic thing, i often wonder about the fact that the bearing is sat well down the steerer allowing the steerer to flex where a longer head tube and bearings further apart and nearer the stem will be more rigid.

khani
    Free Member

I think you’d have to bodge a 44id external lower cup with a 1.5 top cups top cover and wedge to make it work, not sure if it’d be possible tbh,

foureyes
    Free Member

yeah i definitely cant find an option off the shelf, hmm

brant
    Free Member

Workscomponents could make you one I’d have thought. On-One slack sets do this, but have an internal lower cup 🙂

foureyes
    Free Member

cheers brant, can a slack-set be used as a straight headset without adjusting the angle at all? in conjunction with another lower i mean? expensive way to avoid using spacers i know.

P’raps this is a new standard 🙂 44mm both external, bearings further apart, and long people get to use less spacers 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Brant – is the top cup that On One supplied to fix the 16″ carbon 456 short headtube problem not exactly what he needs?

sheck

I believe nukeproof do an external lower cup for straight 1 1/8 steerer forks in 44mmheadtubes… I saw it on the cotic site as quite a flush headset when running 44mm headtube with non-tapered forks. Other than the logo being side down, might be possible to invert it for the top?

brant
    Free Member

Brant – is the top cup that On One supplied to fix the 16″ carbon 456 short headtube problem not exactly what he needs?

I think we have a few as samples, PeterPoddy has one, but didn’t fit it, even though it was his feedback that created the process to get them made!

foureyes
    Free Member

Hi Brant YGM!!! cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘external headset TOP in a 44mm frame’ is closed to new replies.