• This topic has 45 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rickyterzis-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • External CAT5 connector?
  • btbb
    Free Member

I need to get an internet connection to a building around 35 metres from the house. The plan is to use CAT5 cable for the link with RJ45 wall sockets inside each building. Both buildings are timber clad.

I would like to put some sort of connector behind the cladding (there’s a void that can be accessed from outside) that would allow me to lay the cable between the buildings myself and replace if required. The internal RJ45 sockets and the short link of cable through the wall to the cladding void will be done by someone else.

Does anyone know of an external (waterproof?) male / female type of connector for CAT5 cable please?

oldnpastit

Like this?

Not really waterproof though.

btbb
    Free Member

Yes that sort of thing although I’d need to put it in a box to keep the moisture out

BearBack
    Free Member

Are you creating issues running cable with the plugs attached. Bigger holes t drill, working with factory defined cable lengths etc
    Have you considered adding connectors or ethernet coverplates yourself and having less physical connections? Direct burial Cable by the spool and cut to length gets my vote.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve been using one of ^ them (wrapped in self-amalgamating tape) outside for years without issue.

How many sockets are you planning in the building?

oldnpastit

Plenty here.

Used to be called a 2-port ethernet switch at the place I worked a long time ago.

btbb
    Free Member

The cable will be armoured buried and bought off the spool. My thinking behind the connectors was to allow me to fit (and replace if it gets damaged)the cable between the two buildings. I can drill holes but I’ve never drilled all the way through a wall and had to leave a nice square hole in plasterboard and OSB for the RJ45 socket so I want someone else to do this bit.

btbb
    Free Member

Oldnpastit

I think that will do the trick along with the some tape as sharkbait suggests. It’s cheap too!

Thanks

richmars

This is a IP68 rated bulkhead connector CAT5 cables. It’s waterproof when a suitable cable is connected, or the cap is fitted.

External CAT5 connector

Cougar

Used to be called a 2-port ethernet switch at the place I worked a long time ago.

It may be many things but that is in no way, shape or form a switch.

ton

those things are just couplers……..no good whatsoever for external stuff.
    use one of then inside a IP rated external waterproof box

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HMQAAOSw0fhXje4m/s-l300.jpg

Daffy

is the external building on the same ring main as the house?

btbb
    Free Member

Daffy

No, separate mains supply and it’s gets too windy for wall mounted Ubiquity things.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I might be missing something here btbb, but if I wanted a number of rj45 sockets in a remote building I’d run cat5 from each socket to a [however many] port switch within the remote building and then run more cat5 from the switch, through the wall (long 8mm drill bit will do it) back to your house.
    No need for connectors at all and pretty easily replaced if it went tits up.
    It’s not carrying power so I’d not bother with armoured cable but I’s be tempted to have a small duct underground to make it easy to pull new cable though.

jon_n
    Free Member

You aren’t supposed to run wired networks between buildings as any slight differences in power (& earth potential?) can cause issues with the kit at each end. You can also get problems with lightning frying stuff….

That said, I’ve seen buildings linked on different rings and it’s never caused an issue. Best practice is to use fibre between buildings as it breaks the electrical circuit, but is more complex to install..

I’ve used one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Photo/UCam247-Weatherproof-Junction-Outdoor-Security/B00YRYTDJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487188965&sr=8-1&keywords=outdoor+camera+junction+box

with a coupler as above for joining cables externally, sprayed black it’s a bit less obtrusive then a big junction box…

versence
    Free Member

The professional solution:

IP68 CAT5E In line connector, including coupler

If you want Gigabit Ethernet you need CAT5E cabling

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fibre is ideal but complex and expensive.

Cables would need to be external grade, and use proper weather proof connector boxes.

Also need to consider running distance from hub/router as there are limits (around 100m I think), and running Gigabit network will reduce that.

btbb
    Free Member

thanks for the info

One building is my home the other is a holiday let that I need wifi in. Fibre is out of the question on price grounds alone. I only need an AP in the holiday let so no need for a switch in there.

I’m not trying to make it complicated but I need something that once the hole through the wall is done I can do the rest myself as I’m struggling to find anyone to do the whole job.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Can’t you just use a directional wi-fi antenna?

deadkenny
    Free Member
    btbb
    Free Member

gofaster / deadkenny

that was my initial thought and I’ve already got a couple of the Ubquiti nanostations however high prevailing winds between the buildings made me consider cable instead

sharkbait
    Free Member

Btbb, I have a 30-40m cat5 cable going from the fibre router my office to our big barn with a netgear router set up as just a wifi access point.
    Works great – you don’t need a wifi connection between the buildings, more money and complexity than required.
    Sounds like you don’t need rj45 sockets either (gigabit would also be useless as it’s an internet connection) – it’s a holiday let… all they want is wifi.

handyman153
    Free Member

Similar to the above..
    This is just a connector, but within a waterproof housing?

Amazon Link

btbb
    Free Member

sharkbait

The RJ45 sockets are to connect the AP in on the holiday let side and in my house to connect my router. The other option would be to have a hole in the walls with the cable sticking out but that would look a bit naff

I agree I don’t need gigabit ethernet especially when my broadband connection is only 6Mbps and is unlikely to get better any time soon

crogthomas
    Free Member

Industrial users of Ethernet in harsh environments use 4 pin M12 type connectors. They’re robust and waterproof, but very expensive.

Like this:
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-automation-cable-assemblies/1235557/

Those Bulgin connectors linked above are a close second but tend to be a little fragile. Okay for a one-off use like yours, but not for repeated use.

Having said that, for your purpose I’d just poke a RJ45 through the wall and be done with it. Replacement would be relatively easy and unlikely I would imagine. If you’re determined to retain an external connection, a RJ45 coupler in a waterproof box is probably the best bet for minimal cost and ease of assembly.

richmars

The other option would be to have a hole in the walls with the cable sticking out

Mount the part I linked to above on the wall, with the cable coming from inside to the rear of the connector. Then use a cable which mates to the wall mounted fitting.

jon_n
    Free Member

If you are just running an access point, if you get one that supports power over ethernet (ie. another Ubiquiti access point), that removes any problems with being on different ring mains etc as it won’t be connected to the mains over there, but to a PoE injector / switch in the main building. It also simplifies the wiring inside by not needing to be near a plug.

If the void is big enough and the holiday let isn’t big enough to have issues with coverage I’d consider putting the access point in the void as then it can’t be pinched easily!

oldnpastit

Cougar – Moderator
    It may be many things but that is in no way, shape or form a switch.

It was an in-joke; this was a networking company that made ATM switches…

I guess you had to be there.

footflaps

I’ve run 2x 50m of CAT-5 to the workshop. Used exterior grade cable (not armoured, but UV stable and water proof). Used a junction box at the ingress point for a clean entry.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q3z3xA]CAT-5 ingress to house[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

The on the other side a standard RJ45 socket

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q3z1HU]CAT-5 termination in house[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

NB Those photos aren’t the same end…

btbb
    Free Member

handyman – that looks cheap and may be worth a look at that price

croqthomas – those connectors in your link are out of my price bracket and needs. I’ve had difficulty getting anything done on my house so having something that I can replace myself without touching the bit of cable between the inside and outside of the house (should anything fail) and rely on someone else. Ideally I’d go for one through cable but in my circumstances I’d prefer some accessible joins

oldnpastit

You aren’t supposed to run wired networks between buildings as any slight differences in power (& earth potential?) can cause issues with the kit at each end.

Ethernet uses a transformer at either end, for exactly this kind of problem:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/27756/why-are-ethernet-rj45-sockets-magnetically-coupled

You can also get problems with lightning frying stuff….

There’s usually some input protection so a bit of coupled voltage spike should be fine. A direct hit to a buried cable is surely a bit unlikely?

btbb
    Free Member

jon-n – I wasn’t aware of the problem with different ring mains. I have got a PoE AP (Ubiquiti) and although was going to power it from the holiday let side I could as you suggested power it from my side to overcome the potential problem. I don’t think the AP would work in the void due to the foil backed insulation.

jon_n
    Free Member

Oldnpastit: I did some research a while back and it didn’t seem to be considered ‘best practice’ to link two buildings. In reality (and from my experience) it’s not been a problem tho…

btbb: I’d give it a try in the void to see how it works – saves people messing round with the AP, plugging their own kit in, unplugging things etc. Failing that stick it in the ceiling or somewhere well out of the way where it can’t be tampered with! If you only have a 6 meg internet connection you can afford to lose a lot of wifi signal before it becomes an issue! Whereabouts in the country are you? I have a load of outdoor grade cable, plugs, crimping / punch tools etc and would be happy to help if you are reasonably local…

btbb
    Free Member

Ah jon-n thanks for the offer but I’m on Skye

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

high prevailing winds between the buildings made me consider cable instead

You said the buildings are timber, you might be able to get a decent signal with antenna within the roofspace.

Cables are perhaps easier, but this may be a possible planB

Cougar

It was an in-joke; this was a networking company that made ATM switches…

I guess you had to be there.

Ah, sorry. Hard to pick up on nuance in text.

btbb
    Free Member

GFS – no roofspace and the foil backed insulation means planB is out. I can’t get a mobile signal unless I stand outside

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

foil backed insulation

Hmmmpf. Good luck with planA then 🙂

Daffy

If you’re going to run it outside, you’d be better using Cat6 shielded cable than Cat5. If you’re planning to bury it, a hosepipe makes a perfect tunnel for 2 cables. You may as well run 2 or 3 just in case you get a break.

btbb
    Free Member

Daffy

Does that need to be armoured shielded CAT6 or can I use external shielded CAT6 as I will be burying the cable in pipe?

Also does the shielded cable need to be earthed (the faceplates I have are CAT5 unshielded) or will I be able to get away without earthing the cable?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘External CAT5 connector?’ is closed to new replies.