Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • External car/caravan cable charging teather/security + box
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As per another thread I am looking at buying a hybrid mains charged car

It comes with a cable supplied that will plug in to a standard UK socket, which I can get fitted outside.

My concern is though that scrotes will nick the cable, just because they can!

I was thinking of an external meter type box that I can store the cable in (any ideas) but also some way of securing the cable to the wall so it can not be unplugged and nicked!

Im struggling on google to find such things, but aware I am probably googling completely the wrong thing!

Ta

wwaswas

tbh, if they’re going to nick it they’re going to nick it.

I’d rather they got the cable than got the cable but only after ripping the external socket off the wall by playing tug of war with it.

I’d get a cable made up that is of the caravan type (ie. 3 prong weather proof) and only as long as it needs to be and get an appropriate external socket to match. Will be less attractive and cheaper to replace if it’s short.

Get two made, just in case.

mrlugz
    Free Member
    giant_scum
    Free Member

What mrlugz said.
    Is the car going to be parked and charged on your driveway?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Some of them have funky plugs on the car end, or they are a “smart” cable.
    So you have to use the dedicated cable.
    Careful which PHEV you buy.

Also, store the cable in the car, so you get the option to plug in when you aren’t at home. (Use someone elses electricity)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m thinking I might just buy a meter reading type box and put the socket inside and make a hole in the bottom for the cable to come out of,!so I can at least store the cable away when not in use.

Must admit hadn’t thought about being able to take the cable with me when away etc!

Need to keep the whole set up as simple as possible for it to become habit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘External car/caravan cable charging teather/security + box’ is closed to new replies.