Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • External bottom brackets experiences/recommendations please
  • Woody
    Free Member

Need a new one for Race Face Evolve DH cranks 73mm b/b shell.

Any experiences of THIS or THIS and any other recommendations welcome. Cheers

schrickvr6
    Free Member

In my experience Raceface run on tiny bearings that don’t last, no idea with Blackspire. I’d say get some of these – http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=237&Name=Hollowtech+II+bearing+upgrade

Woody
    Free Member

I need the whole thing not just the bearings but worth keeping in mind for next time.

There seems to be a lot around the £17-£25 and as the reviews seem mixed I thought that getting a relatively cheap one and replacing the bearings with better ones when they wear out might be a sensible option.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

That sounds like a plan, Or you could pick up a dead BB on the classifieds for next to nothing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

That Blackspire is the same as the Superstar one I bought about 3 years ago. The bearings weren’t very well sealed….
    Cheap way of getting some cups to put better bearings in once the originals die though.

this_wreckage
    Free Member

One of these came on my SLX crankset but lasted less than 2 months.

Replaced with one of these (stainless steel version not ceramic) and haven’t had a single issue in well over a year.

Was very surprised that the SLX bb gave out so soon as my past experience with Shimano has been great. Can’t fault the Hope though so far and it cost me less than a new SLX replacement off fleabay!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The best I’ve had from Shimano is 8 months. The worst thing is that the cups seem shaped to make it difficult to drift out the bearings. I’m running my current Shimano to death, with a Wheels Industry one waiting in the spares box.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Race face one failed very quickly – possibly made worse by having some end load from a poor assembly from new and that its a full complement bearing which needs cutouts in the races

Replace with a hope that seems to be fine

foxyrider
    Free Member

Defo go hope for VFM – St St ones are also good – me and shimano BB’s dont last long as friends 🙂 But my FSA one is still going strong which I am surprised 🙂

40mpg

I was getting through shimano ones in 3 months singlespeeding in liquid sand (New Forest).

Picked up a dead superstar one from a friend and replace the bearings with chrome steel ones every 3 months or so still, but at £4 a pair instead of £30. Works for me 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Superstar have a 5 year warranty on THIS ONE

Found a dead Shimano one which I though I’d thrown out, so bearing replacement is an option.BETD will do them ‘free’ for £23.75 + postage. Where do you get your ones from 40mpg?

Is kaesae still about ??

Edit: found him – email on its way

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey Woody, I like the design and the bearings in the FSA mega exo bottom brackets, however they are a nightmare to service.

I run a Raceface DH/FR BB and simply change the bearings for INA or SKF any top end bearings that I can really. Before I install the bearings I pop of the seals remove the old grease and put in the expensive but very tough grease I use.

Hope run INA bearings or one of their sub constractors on all of their Hubs / BB’s except for the pro3’s. The problem with the hope bb’s is a custom inner bore diameter, that is smaller than normal. So they can charge what they like for replacements, they also don’t bother to weather proof their bearings and this leaves them vulnerable to rust and other contaminants.

Raceface run enduro max bearing, which are good bearings but not great.

After having had a good look at the design and bearings used in a lot of top end and budget BB’s, my advice is to run a race face and simply buy replacement bearings when you need to, I can sell you two of my top end bearings fully weather proofed for £14 a pair.

That said if you buy them from ebay, you’ll pay about £13 each, without a 100% pregrease of weather proofing.

INA
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6805-2RS-61805-2RS-FAG-INA-SEALED-BEARING-25x37x7mm-/310203560393?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item483992b1c9

SKF
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/68052RS-6805-2RS-SKF-RUBBER-SEALED-BEARING-25X37X7mm-/160406571723?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2558fa0acb

Shimano are shite!

That’s all I have to say about that!

woody2000

The problem with any of the 6805 bearings is that you need the top hats too, which always seems a faff (normally as they break when you remove them!). I’d recommend the BETD/Enduro bearings – I’ve had 2 years out of a set with zero maintenance, well worth the money.

Do not buy a Pace BB!!!

Klunk
    Free Member

(normally as they break when you remove them!)

steaming the cups with a kettle softens up the plastic making it easier to remove them without breaking them.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try HERE for some decent bearings.
    Used them before and they were very efficient. Also do bearing sets for bike related applications.

kaesae
    Free Member

I don’t have any problems with the raceface ones, my bearing puller takes them out easily.

The FSA ones are a lot tougher not to damage.

That said we could work on some tools to remove them without damaging them, shouldn’t be too hard! 😉

woody2000

Hehe – FAGINA bearings 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Try HERE for some decent bearings.
    Used them before and they were very efficient. Also do bearing sets for bike related applications.

That’s the same bearings I sell, I run them in all of my BB’s and my friends as well.

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers guys – useful stuff.

RF now ordered. I’ll see how it goes as mud is not a big problem round my way and when it dies I’ll get some bearings from kaesae – job done.

Kaesae – what do you charge for installation ie. all up cost posted to you and returned?

Northwind

I’d still recommend SLX/XT, best balance of lifespan and price I’ve found- can be picked up for barely more than the cost of a set of replacement bearings after all. I don’t service them at all, just fit and forget, and replace occasionally. Never sure why some people get so little life from them though, I’ve had 3 in various bikes and every one’s lasted well.

New Gusset EXT24 is doing well so far, just had a wee look, I’d say it’s about 4 months of fairly constant use but not a hint of wear so far. And comes in pretty colours 😉

jambon
    Free Member

Agree – Race Face are very poor indeed – do not buy.

The problem I found with the BETD bearings was, due to the lack of the crappy plastic inner found on Shimano et al, that the BB axle can rotate within the centre of the bearing rather than the bearing rotating. The upshot of this was a totally siezed bearing on one side within a few months whilst the one on the other side was fine.

I’ve found that moving to a drier climate has helped and have few problem with Shimano BB’s as a result. Not an option, though, I guess…

jimjimthehumanbin2
    Free Member

i’m on my second gusset now as well and have been very happy. went for a shiny purple one this time.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

SLX / XT at about £13 a throw, with the emphasis on throw, as in disposible at that price.

NB: Euro 50 min order value though.

_tom_
    Free Member

Superstar bb got good reviews on southerndownhill I think.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘External bottom brackets experiences/recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.