Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • External Botom Bracket DIY service
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Please help.
    A while back there was a link to explain how to DIY service an external BB. I've searched but can't seem to find it. Can anyone remember this and if so help me find it? 🙂

theotherjonv

simplest form is to pull the top hat thingy off (carefully, they can crack)

Then peel the seals out (use something small and sharp to avoid damage)

Flush copiously with something solventy. I use Muc-Off chain cleaner with a spray tube from a can of WD40 and a small paint brush to get into the gaps, rotating the bearings frequently to get right behind them.

Leave to dry and then repack with tons of good quality grease (keep turning the bearings again), refit the seals and top hats, and good to go.

I have heard folks suggest doing this even before using them as the stock grease isn't great but as long as you don't wait for them to sieze before doing it I'm not sure that's really worth it.

If you're talking about removing bearings from cups and fitting new ones of those – I've just wasted 5 minutes.

nickjb
    Free Member

This one?

click

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Cheers nickjb. Thats the one. 🙂 My searching skills are shoddy at best. 😳
    theotherjonv, you haven't wasted your time. I have an old BB that I want to try it on before I try it on my bikes. Thank you.

odannyboy
    Free Member

does this only apply to shimano hollow tech two or can it be done on others e.g. my truvativ gpx?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘External Botom Bracket DIY service’ is closed to new replies.