Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • external BB cups, which ones are the longest?
  • MicArms

OK, bit of an incident with my frame and a shimano xt BB cup = equalling stripped threads. MY LBS and Trek are sorting me out a new frame, (god bless them!) but want to know which external BB has the longest threaded bit to stick inside the BB area. Running SLX cranks …

Was looking @ the RF Diabolus downhill BB, but a bit weary of RF quality following on from ISIS.
    Suggestions and sarky coments all welcome…

Hadge
    Free Member

I think the RF are the longest. As for how good they are – sometimes good or sometimes appalling.

neilb67
    Free Member

Mick, personally I would be looking for material spec before thread length. I know it impossible to know what manufacturers use but I would much prefer something made out of HE15 with a short thread length than a HE30 one with a long thread.

Also you have to take into consideration tolerances of the two threads involved. If you have a frame with a thread at its upper limit and a BB at the lower limit then you may have problems with the thread stripping.

Just something else for you to consider… 😯

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

New Saint have longer threads. £35 on CRC.

However, surely it wasn’t installed properly the first time?

sheldona
    Free Member

Mick I’d go for a set of Phil Wood HTII cups as they’re made from Stainless and insert them with some Rock N Roll assembly grease. On saying that maybe its too high quality for a Trek frame 🙂

Runs as fast as he can shouting taxi……………..

MicArms

rib check!! Yeap, still intact, you’re a funny guy Shel!

sheldona
    Free Member

Booooom Tish

brant
    Free Member

I keep wondering why Shimano make you add spacers behind the cups to move them out, rather than on the axle to move the crank out.

I have a plan.

neilb67
    Free Member

brant – Member

I keep wondering why Shimano make you add spacers behind the cups to move them out, rather than on the axle to move the crank out

To keep the bearings as wide as possible to support the axle I suppose…

brant
    Free Member

To keep the bearings as wide as possible to support the axle I suppose…

There would be more cantilevered distance if you shimmed outside, but peak forces can’t increase by *much* you’d have thought.

scaredypants

hello Brant, I’ve wondered the same thing – I’ll take two sets please

scaredypants

(? could maybe introduce some additonal screen for bearing seals too ??)

(no, I haven’t thought that through in any way)

brant
    Free Member

(no, I haven’t thought that through in any way)

I have 😉

scaredypants

I’ll take two sets please

OK, three then – since you’ve thought about it

epicyclo

Yes, Brant, I’ll have some too. Good idea. Please make them shiny – that’s more important than bearing seals surely 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Mick, I had the same, threads on my heckler stripped, allegedly due to the short XT threads, ended up with warranty new front end and I check the BB is tight often.

CK BBs can be gotten cheap, email me or snakey.

walleater

brant – Member

I keep wondering why Shimano make you add spacers behind the cups to move them out, rather than on the axle to move the crank out.

I have a plan.

I ditched the spacers on my HTII BB / Saint cranks on my BMX cruiser and used Raceface spacers to improve the chainline / remove play. The cranks broke but that’s another story…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just make sure the cups are installed properly. These instances must be extremely rare. (tho I can see not rare for the op)

rOcKeTdOg

how many EX8s have you had now Mick? should get a 09 this time?

MicArms

Scruff, cheers for that mate. Was looking for either a hope or CK option.
    RD, Just the one! (until now).

GW
    Free Member

Saint 83mm cups?

pstokes99
    Free Member

When I had the same problem (stripped drive side thread, interestingly also on a trek) I used the diabolous BB and just one spacer (i.e. as much thread in the frame as possible) and all was fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmmmmmmmmm……………….

given how strong threaded joints are i’d not be too worried about the lenhgth of the thread in the frame. the only way it could strip surely is if you let it losen ?

MicArms

brant – Member

I keep wondering why Shimano make you add spacers behind the cups to move them out, rather than on the axle to move the crank out

When you look at the axle, the place where the bearings sit ( ie the ends) are a slightly larger diameter than the rest of the axle. Can’t remember off the top of my head, but I don’t think the bulge isn’t that long. So if you did use spacers on the axle instead of behind the cups the bearings would then be sitting on the transitional diameter part of the axle…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘external BB cups, which ones are the longest?’ is closed to new replies.