Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Exterior door frame sizes and bricks.
  • I’m measuring and marking out the “self supporting cladding” 😉 for my bungalow and I’ve got to thinking about where the doors are going and how big a hole to leave for them.
    I’m trying to plan everything around whole brick sizes, that is, multiples of 225mm, and it looks like most door frames don’t take that in to account.
    If I make the opening 910mm wide, that’s 4 bricks plus one extra joint, I’ll want a door frame about 900 – 905mm wide.
    They seem to come in all sorts of sizes, 838, 856, 813, 762, 932 and 907.
    Is 907 a “standard” size ?
    In other words, are there plenty of doors available to fit it ? B&Q don’t list the matching door size to the frame.

matttromans
    Free Member

Hi MTG,

Firstly, if you haven’t already, download this brick dims table

http://bricksalesltd.com/Brickwork%20Dimensions%20Tables.pdf

Secondly, don’t use B&Q, they’re cr@p. Try the Wickes website, much better at telling you what will fit with what.

The 910 opening is a standard metric structural opening. I can’t remember what size frame it requires, but I think the door leaf to fit is 826mm.

Again, from memory, you need to allow 7mm either side of the frame (for building tolerance, and expansion/contraction). 910 – 7+7 = 896mm – 826mm leaf = 70mm total frame / 2 = 35mm frame thickness. Sounds about right.

HTH

PS, Self supporting cladding……..?

Thanks for the link, Matt, very useful.
    I was only using the B&Q site as a reference, I’ll shop around when it comes to actually buying the doors and frames.

The “self supporting cladding” refers to the strange planning rules that apply to where I live.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-front-of-my-house-just-fell-off-too#post-2583013

project
    Free Member

Avoid Band q doors theyr just blocks of wood glued together with a veneer stuck on the top, its called engineered timber, but isnt suitable for the weather in this country, had a lot of returns with them , and now refuse to fit them.

Wickes or Howdens are better quality.

Wickes door frames.
    Gives the overall frame dimensions and the door size as well. 🙂

matttromans
    Free Member

Indeed, Wickes are much more set up for construction rather than weekend DIY. Much higher quality as well.

Looks like you’ve got quite a project on. Good luck and have fun!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Exterior door frame sizes and bricks.’ is closed to new replies.