Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Exterior decorating – can't reach!!
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Painting the outside wood on the house. Have got to everything except the two areas in the pictures below. The ladder I’ve got is on it’s limit, it’s getting a bit wobbly to paint the high stuff on pic 1.

Any clues on how I get up so high in pic1, and into the awkward space on pic 2?

pic 1, too high and porch is awkward, can’t get over it to paint left side

P1080399.JPG by cakefest, on Flickr

pic 2, flat roofed room in sloping roof is difficult to get to

P1080398.JPG by cakefest, on Flickr

andyl
    Free Member

Longer ladder for 1, along slope of roof on left and reach down. Use as normal for the apex?

Rest ladder on top corner of flat roof for 2?

Or get a hexacopter and fit it with a paintbrush or spray can.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Pic 1 – hire a bigger ladder, tie it off through the window for safety (although that won’t sort the bit over the lean to). Worth seeing if you could hire a small towable mobile boom/cherry picker for the rest of it. You probably won’t be able to without an IPAF ticket though…

Pic 2. I’m a climber, so I’d lob a rope out the dormer, over the roof to the ground the other side and tie it off to something bloddy heavy (like a car or the house), then climb out the window with a harness and belay device on, and work lying on the flat roof (except for the bit above the opening window, which I’d do sat on the window sill. I’ve done exactly this for my dormer windows, only difference is they were 3rd floor…

mrben100
    Free Member

Watered down paint and a pressure washer 🙄

Admittedly some parts of the house might get paint on you don’t want.

(Apologies, on holiday so got nothing better to do with my time)

mattbee

Roller on a pole, hire an ally scaffold tower or get WCA to do it for you..

cakefest
    Free Member

On pic2 someone suggested climb up on to flat roof above front door, lay 7ft ladder on sloping roof on pillows to protect tiles, secure ladder with rope to opening window hinge, crawl up ladder to access dormer. any thoughts?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Hire a cherry picker.. ask WCA about ladder safety

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Exterior decorating – can't reach!!’ is closed to new replies.