• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mooty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Extending wifi
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Wanting to boost wifi to garage
    Don’t think booster would do the trick
    The extenders which run through the electric wiring?
    Just use one of those?
    Someone told me I could use my old bt wifi box (have sky now)
    Any recommendations?

Thanks

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I have both types, they both do the job.

Pick them up pretty cheaply too

EDIT: TP link wired type (from comet/PC world) which are plugged into the socket in my youngest boys room and he runs a lead from this into the back of his desktop.

Then I have a separate wireless one (bought in Costco) plugged into the landing socket where there is usually a wifi black spot. Extends the wifi around the rest of the house very effectively

paul123
    Free Member

Does the type of router make a big difference to performance. Should that be the starting point?

Sorry for the hijack

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

no idea, I have the standard virgin media super hub router

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does the type of router make a big difference to performance.

Certainly can do, no doubt (in my mind) the one’s you get from ISP’s are so-so. The old Apple Airport Extreme’s with the built in time machine where (are) much better than BT supplied routers.

OP TP-Link type is the standard option. I use them wired as it’s cheaper (£25 vs £80) and I don’t need full wifi extension just to a single computer/Apple TV. Note the quality of the connection does depend on how your house is wired as the internet signals pass through house wiring. So things like dodgy wiring or multiple branches / extension lead connectors degrades the signal. See @MTB above he is using both as required.

backinireland
    Free Member

But is there a way to run the wired one to a separate wifi box rather than plugging into a computer

tinribz
    Free Member

Why would you want to, you just buy one with both ports and a WiFi emitter.

Recommend a double pack because you will want another and they cost way more individually.

http://www.ebuyer.com/759352-tp-link-av600-wi-fi-powerline-network-kit-tl-wpa4220t-kit-v1-20?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dm&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CLuhhtDixtACFQUW0wodHFEDaA

Don’t believe the speeds though, good enough for Netflix and YouTube but not great for big file transfers.

backinireland
    Free Member

Mtb idle
    Bit confused
    You say you have booster on landing in black spot
    Is booster not like a range extender?
    Does it not need to be sited in an area of good signal?

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve got a TP Link WiFi extender (£15 I think) in the garage. It picks up signal that my phone can’t connect to from the main router and gives out a decent signal that my phone can reliably connect to. Also has Ethernet out port of you need wired.

thepurist

I tried the mains adapter option for connecting upstairs PC to downstairs router, but it ruined radio reception on my alarm clock so I just got a WiFi card for the PC. Currently looking at wifi extender options so watching this thread with interest…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

MTB-Idle – Member
    no idea, I have the standard virgin media super hub router

Are you using 2.4 or 5GHz band?

dannybgoode

I tried the mains adapter option for connecting upstairs PC to downstairs router, but it ruined radio reception on my alarm clock

It would do. They shit so much noise over the mains it’s untrue. Can knock out TV reception and also thoroughly annoy the neighbours by doing the same to them.

Hateful things are powerline adaptors.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have used powerline adaptors succesfully but in my case the tp link extenders didnt work very well distupting the nearer devises. So after trial and error with wifi I wired my garage with cat5e ethernet which fixed all reliability issues and gives me rock solid connections. It also very easy to do if you watch a couple of youtube vids.

jambalaya
    Free Member

But is there a way to run the wired one to a separate wifi box rather than plugging into a computer

Yes you run wired tp-link then plug it into a wifi router. I used to use an old apple airport express like that and I created an “upstairs” wifi network. I think in your first post you said you had an old router, so if that has ethernet inyou can plug into a tp-link and create a new “garage wifi” (if you have the instructions etc you can probably login to router as admin and change name / password.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wilburt is there a range limit ? Is it a case of just running the cable ?

jam-bo

You can get a power line adaptors that act as a wifi router. Saves plugging two things on.

Del

@jamba. 100m.

wilburt
    Free Member

I didn’t know there was a distance limit but it makes sense.

Easiest would be just buy a long patch cable with two male ends but thats a bit temporary.
    I bought a couple of socket boxes for the wall and a 25m roll of cable, you can now get cat6 which allows for faster speeds but will be overkill in most cases and a little click tool for connecting the wire to the sockets. My Garage is connected to the house but did require a short section of external wire and the cable running through walls but it was all easy enough and once fitted gets rid of all the wifi issues. Glad I did and going to another to the loft soon.

Flaperon
    mooty
    Free Member

The new Google router looks very good, not out here just yet though.

https://madeby.google.com/wifi/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Extending wifi’ is closed to new replies.