Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Extending (boosting) your WiFi
  • woody74

So my wifi signal is a bit crap in certain parts of the house so I want to boost it with one of those plug in repeaters. I have played around with one a bit a few years ago in our old house but my question is, can you have one running that just has the same network name and password as your main router so you you don’t have to change the network your on as you move around the house?

If not any other way to just get a cracking signal across your whole house all with the same network id and password?

blanklook

I set up a spare router to use as an extender and yes that works with the same id and password. Not sure about the plug in ones though. One thing I have noticed is that when I move around, the laptop sometimes “holds on” to the signal from one router which then deteriorates – have to force it to change to the closer router by clicking on the network connections icon on bottom right of screen…

Cowman

I used to live in a thick walled Victorian house. Ran a electrickery plug conversion to the area that had a poor signal & then plugged that into a new wireless access point / router. Set up with same username & password. Eh Viola.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    just5minutes
    Free Member

slightly off topic but wondering if anyone can help me help my parents with this…

They have a plusnet router that supports WPS. The wifi coverage is pretty poor so I’m thinking of buying a powerline wifi extender and using it like so:

plusnet router —-> connect via ethernet to Powerline plug ——-> connect via electricty cables > second power line plug that has wifi

Is it possible to copy the SSID from a home modem to the first non wifi power line adapter or will it only work with the second one / will the SSID on the power line plugs be different to that of the modem so effectively create a second network?

woody74

Having to force the computer to change to another router / repeater is the bit I don’t want to have to do. When I go into the office they just have one network id that comes up and works throughout the building. No need to force the computer to look for another router with a better signal.

dr_death
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these (£15). Does exactly what you want, pretty reliable, follow the set up guide on the amazon reviews and your golden:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Repeater-amplifier-Extender/dp/B007SU0BJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439326328&sr=8-1&keywords=huawei+wifi+extender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Extending (boosting) your WiFi’ is closed to new replies.