Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Extended Llandegla Black
  • pallyally
    Free Member

You know. Hang a left at the top of the fire road. Climb to the masts. Blast down the mega single track for about 2 miles. Another 2 miles of singletrack from Worlds end along Eglwyseg Mountain. Up the Horseshoe Pass to the Ponderosa. Lungbusting climb back to the masts and re-join the Black just as you are getting tired.

I’ve always though that there was room for integrating this into the Llandegla trails by waymarking, to offer a killer loop option to what is a pretty limited trail centre. No doubt there will be all sorts of issues but for the cost of a few wooden arrow posts there’s about another 10 miles of cycling to be had to accomodate the ever increasing masses.

terrahawk
    Free Member

and I thought my bars were narrow.

richc
    Free Member

isn’t that track a footpath?

pallyally
    Free Member

He’s a roadie you know

pallyally
    Free Member

richc…not sure I understand the distinction. That’s definitely a bike in the picture so it must be a track

shinsplints

Is that photo from 1992 ? 😉

pallyally
    Free Member

The bike might be from 1992 as are the clothes. The rider is from 1952 and the photo was taken in 2008

richc
    Free Member

on the OS map is it little dashes or big ones? I only ask as I think I know which track that is, and its usually very busy and popular with walkers so its an early morning or late night job.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Its like a little slice of MTBing history that photo.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i was at Llandegla last week and although it has some good bits i hated the place what a waste of a day!!! i did not scare my self or even challenge my self!! I would never ever go back there (apart for the bacon butty) even making a bigger loop would not excite me enough to come back!!! ever

terrahawk
    Free Member

in fairness, the singletrack after the masts is ace and well worth doing.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

oneoneoneone – Careful now, I had that opinion of Llandegla and was basically told my opinion was wrong.

Haze

oneoneoneone, you’re opinion is wrong.

kpt1972
    Free Member

The reason is its all cheeky trails outside of the trail centre,llandegla advise people not to wander out onto the moores as there are issues with the landowners.There is some truely fantastic riding to be had out on the moors though and on the eglwysig and over towards Rhos and Penycae.I grew up riding the area for over twenty years – before llandegla became civilised as it is now Offas dyke down the middle if the forest used to be great fun as it was lined with chestnut fencing in the peat and pines then you would follow the little canal (the one at the start on the log section) for its entire length.Any one else remember?

Doug
    Free Member

Yup. Remeber how muddy the Offa’s Dyke bridleway was in winter from the road up to the forest before they put the boardwalks in. 😯

The descent down to the bottom of the forest was lovely and rooty before it was sanitized. Must have known about the trail centre all those years ago and got some practice in how to take all technicality out of a trail.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyone willing to point it out on an OS map for me, looks like a nice side-route I’ve never seen before

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

oh sorry its the best place in the world and wished i lived there for the rest of my days

oh sooty its RB 😉 1111 last 4

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I thought you’d given up MTBing and just hung around Herne Hill these days.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

na been on the mtb loads ride for the ACU now!!

hows the ghost??

Haze

oh sorry its the best place in the world and wished i lived there for the rest of my days

That’s better, 1111 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Please? Anyone?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

ha ha

maybe it was just the wether!! 😆

sootyandjim
    Free Member

ACU eh? I suppose not everyone can be in a decent service cycling club. 😉

BTW, do you know about the shop in the old meat bomb town that offers discounts?

The ghost seems to have disappeared since the chap moved onto days.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

erm no!! ill have to try that out

im the team “mechanic” and off to cape town next year for the cape epic as support. also off to trans wales as mech so my calender is fairly full. off to RAF Akroti on tuesday to do some training!!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

MTBing or road?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

cape town is MTB as it trans wales and akroti is to do real work with boats and stuff!! maybe a mtb ride if i can get a bike!!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Take a bike with you. Thats what I used to do when I went on exercise in Cyprus.

Pop down to Dreamer’s Bay if you get the chance for a bit of snorkling. The Roman harbour down there is a really nice little suntrap.

Bacon and haluomi sandwiches at Lady L’s aren’t to be missed for a morning snack and the Indian restaurant near the Astra Cinema does a cracking curry, oh and the little shop near the Indian sells a small range of bike parts BTW.

Talking of bike parts, make sure you fit nice, tough tyres and tubes because otherwise you’ll be fixing punctures all the bloody time. There is a small seed pod that is found on the ground all over the place in Cyprus that has whacking great big spikes on it and they make mince meat of XC whippet weight tyres and tubes.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

thanks mate! i doubt i can take a bike with me TBH but i will try and get one to borrow whilst im out there.

any mates out there??

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Extended Llandegla Black’ is closed to new replies.