Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Exsposure Toro Faulty after 5 weeks!!
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Treated myself to a new light with my Xmas bonus for my commute to work. Got it from leisure lakes Wolverhampton. Comes with 2 years manufacturers garentee.

First week of use and was impressed. 5 mile of my commute is unlit country lanes and 1800 lumens is perfect. Got it wired up to remote so I can dim it when vehicles are coming in other direction. Brilliant..
    Friday came home from work and light was indicating it had 23% charge left so I plugged it in over night and unplugged it Saturday morning. 2 days later on the Monday I go to make sure my bike is ok for work and attach all my lights. I check the charge on my exsposure and it says 76%?? I plugged it back on charge and it got 80% which took 2 hours. Obviously the light is faulty. So…

I get in touch with exsposure and to make the exchange or repair quicker I’ve decided to cut the middle man out leisure lakes and send it straight to exsposure. The warranty guy matt at exsposure tells me I have to pay to get the light back to them. It’s cost me nearly £10 with jiffy bag and signed for postage via royal mail. The light is 5 weeks old and cost £220. Surely I should be refunded the cost of postage?

wwaswas

Surely I should be refunded the cost of postage?

This is why you should go back to the retailer – they pay it.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

No, your warranty lies with who you bought it from, not Exposure direct, they have no obligation to refund you the postage.

cp

I’ve decided to cut the middle man out leisure lakes

Where you went wrong

jacob46
    Free Member

But I need the light ASAP for work so it’s quicker to send straight to exsposure. Plus surely leisure lakes would exactly the same as me and get refunded the postage?

wwaswas

surely leisure lakes would exactly the same as me and get refunded the postage?

I doubt it, it’s part of their overheads. Same as they don’t (directly) charge you the amount it costs to get stuff delivered to their shop.

crazy-legs

Your warranty is not with Exposure, it’s with the retailer. They sold you the light, they are liable for any costs incurred in returning it.

On the plus side though, Exposure are ace with warranty and repairs, brilliant company to deal with.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

But I need the light ASAP for work so it’s quicker to send straight to exsposure.

Your need for the light back quickly sadly doesn’t override the law of the land.

LeeW

If you’d have asked nicely at LL they may have swapped it out there and then for another one.

cp

If you’d have asked nicely at LL they may have swapped it out there and then for another one.

Or at least possible loaned a unit temporarily.

stumpy01

Yep, should have gone via Leisure Lakes, rather than Exposure. I’d have thought you’d have got an exchange and they would have dealt with the faulty item via Exposure.

Probably a bit late for that now though.

ampthill

The warranty is with Exposure. Hence the term manufacturers warranty. They choose terms here

Your contract and legal rights are with Leisure lakes

Did you ask leisure lakes if they’d swap it for a working one?

mrblobby
    Free Member

But I need the light ASAP for work so it’s quicker to send straight to exsposure. Plus surely leisure lakes would exactly the same as me and get refunded the postage?

If it was something I relied on for commuting I’d have a back up light too.

Bit surprised Exposure didn’t tell you to take it back to Leisure Lakes. Seems by trying to be helpful they’ve caused themselves some forum grief.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Funny how the types who go in “all guns blazing” then whinge like a bitch online seem to get the worst customer service……..

br
    Free Member

Exposure also charged me the postage, but that was all they charged for fixing a light out of warranty.

qtip

You wanted the process sped up – £10 doesn’t seem like an astronomical amount to pay for that. If you’d been willing to take it to the shop, as is the normal process, it probably would have been free.

Presumably you were commuting with a different light before – couldn’t you have just used that?

jacob46
    Free Member

Leisure lakes have no toro lights left. Plus I’m 26 miles from them and a bitch to get too. Oh well lesson learnt.

Exsposure have today emailed me letting me know they have received my light. Let’s see how fast the turn around is.

“All guns blazing” Hilldodger what the **** are you on about you bell end. I’m not whinging just asking pepoles thoughts. Purchased a MaxxD this afternoon and will sell the toro on its return! Simples.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Oh I’m sticking around for this one. It’s got the potential to run and run particularly as OP has just bought a MaxxD to replace the Toro I see a sub thread starting:

“My MaxxD isn’t very good for communting and Exposure won’t refund it”

Despite Exposure saying on the their site that the MaxxD is 1% suitable for commuting.

MoreCashThanDash

I commute with a MaxxD. It really isn’t appropriate.

But hopefully when the OPs needs something under warranty – and while I love Exposure lights, they have all needed something under warranty – the OP will know his options next time.

creamegg
    Free Member

you could of returned to the retailer for a refund / exchange. You cut out the middle man whose responsibility it was unfortunately

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’d just be hoping that Royal Mail don’t confiscate the thing as a forbidden item 😉

large418
    Free Member

I use my MaxxD for commuting, but it is set to low or med and pointed towards a spot 10 feet in front of the bike. Any higher or brighter and it’s not suitable. Oh, and I have 3 exposure lights and all have been perfect (MaxxD 3 years old, joystick and Revo 6 months old.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Oh I also commute with a MaxxD or Revo Dyno depending on bike but I know that they aren’t particularly suitable but I also know the returns policy for Exposure.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m not whinging just asking pepoles thoughts.

You sure?

iainc

I had a MaxxD go faulty during its warranty period. I had bought it from Evans so they sent it back to Exposure and it was replaced. I didnt pay a penny 🙂 It did take just over a week all in, and I spoke to Exposure during the process, who said that I could have gone straight to them to speed it up, but that I would have had to pay the postage.

All seemed quite fair to me..

qtip

I’m 26 miles from them and a bitch to get too

Well that’s a large chunk of your £10 offset by fuel savings then.

amedias
    Free Member

I also commute with a MaxxD

Same here, it’s awful!

great offroad light but beam pattern is everything you don’t want in a road light, scoping out German dynamo units at the moment to replace…

traildog
    Free Member

Well that’s a large chunk of your £10 offset by fuel savings then.

That’s exactly what I was going to say. 10 pounds is not exactly a huge amount for getting it sorted.

I have a MaxxD and fine it ace for commuting, so not sure why people are saying it’s not suitable. Unless it’s a joke which I’m not getting at this time of day.
    Low mode for riding through the city, medium and high for when I get out to the country lanes. It’s a great bit of kit to be honest.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have a MaxxD and fine it ace for commuting, so not sure why people are saying it’s not suitable.

🙂

jacob46
    Free Member

If I don’t like it and it’s not up to the job ill send straight back and wait for toro’s to be back in stock. They are good when working.

Spoke to exsposure and they have had to update software!! Bit of a pis take really being a new light. Customers should be able to do there own updating.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I personally love my little Sirius for commuting & training at night.
    Lasts well, great pattern, small, plenty bright enough even if it ‘only’ has 300 lumens or so.
    I live on the Shropshire/Mid Wales borders & it’s properly dark & find it more than enough-why would you need anything bigger for commuting?

iolo
    Free Member

The MaxxD is 33 percent fine for the road and not even showing one percent for commuting.
    If you commute on the road do you have to lie to it and tell it you’re not going to work?

traildog
    Free Member

What happens to the percentages if my commute involves some XC riding as well?

iolo
    Free Member

Also, if it’s 33 percent for the road, can you only use it for a third of your journey?

andyjh

Twice now my Maxx-D mk7 has done the same with the charge percentage dropping rapidly with no use so I would be interested to hear the resolution to the problem. Once it caught me out and I almost ran out of light on the way home but now I check it regularly to make sure I top it up before riding again.

bigrich

going online to moan about it probably cost you more than 10 quid of your time.

typing this cost me forty pence of my time.

traildog
    Free Member

Twice now my Maxx-D mk7 has done the same with the charge percentage dropping rapidly with no use so I would be interested to hear the resolution to the problem. Once it caught me out and I almost ran out of light on the way home but now I check it regularly to make sure I top it up before riding again

If you were riding it on the road then you’d only get 33% charge out of it.

Seriously, I’ve not come across this. Have you contacted exposure? I found them very helpful when I had a query about my light which started to behave inconsistently.

amedias
    Free Member

I have a MaxxD and fine it ace for commuting, so not sure why people are saying it’s not suitable

Mostly because on the road it puts a fairly large chunk of it’s light into the face of oncoming vehicles.

Even when angled *very* downwards and on low a Maxx-D punts a lot of light out upwards and can be quite dazzling to oncoming pedestrians, cyclists and motorists, especially motorists since bar height is that much closer to their head height they get more of a faceful that cyclists and pedestrians.

When on unlit roads due to the beam shape to see a decent way down the road when travelling > 15mph you need to have it pointing quite far forwards for decent spread, at which point coverage right in front and to the sides becomes poor and you’re going to dazzle anyone heading towards you.

It’s a very bright light but the beam pattern is just not very suitable on the road, it’s fantastic offroad as you get a decent spread and it copes very well with undulations and extreme changes in gradient, but on the road you can get much better usable illumination for far fewer lumens and without blinding anyone coming towards you with a better shaped beam (which Exposure do offer in some of their other lights)

Saccades
    Free Member

I’d read the 1% for commuting and 33% for the road as ok for unlit country lanes (but not recommended) but awful for built up areas as the light is too bright with the wrong type of beam spread.

makes sense to me.

traildog
    Free Member

but awful for built up areas as the light is too bright with the wrong type of beam spread

Which is why you turn it down to minimum. If it’s a built up area then you only need your lights for being seen and the minimum setting doesn’t blind anyone. I admit it’s probably not the optimum solution to commuting, but it’s perfectly suitable and if you have to ride off road as well (which sometimes you can do on a commute) then it’s ideal. The beam is ideal for spotting kamakaze sheep over the moors when out of Manchester.

Perhaps they should use the term “city and town” rather than commute. But my point really was it’s still perfectly suitable, even if it’s not their best product for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Exsposure Toro Faulty after 5 weeks!!’ is closed to new replies.