Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Exposure vs Lupine vs DX/Bastid/MagicShine
  • teacake
    Free Member

Hello everyone. I've just taken delivery of the new Exposure Diablo. It's been great on the short night ride I did on Tuesday, but no burn time info yet.

My friend has the Lupine Tesla and another mate has just got the £60 Dealextreme "Magicshine" – which I think most people here are calling the Bastid [correct?]

There isn't much info out about the Diablo so I'll make a little write-up. We're all going riding tonight – I'll report back tomorrow with beam shots and our opinions.

saladdodger
    Free Member

that would be interesting, totally unbiased I hope 😉

montylikesbeer

look forward to the beam shots teacake, its a great looking light.

It will be interesting to see how Exposure have created optics to use the P7 emitter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teacake
    Free Member

I'm no electronics or optics expert, but I'll do my best.

My mate's take on the Magicshine is that it's just like a Lupine Tesla, but you get a free pint after every nightride!

joemarshall
    Free Member

It looks pretty fancy, and it is 90g lighter, but 1 hour runtime on max? Isn't that a similar runtime to a cheap torch (which also can be got with high, med and low modes). Wasn't everyone moaning about the cheap torches and saying they'd be no good for mountain biking cos you'd have to swap the battery after an hour on high?

Jolly neat and tidy though, and looks nice and small, and I bet the mounting is very well thought out.

Joe

teacake
    Free Member

Joe,

As you say, burn time is only 1hr on maxx, but that setting is outrageous. I have no idea who needs that much light! I spent most of my time in the middle setting which is a 3 hour burn time [claimed].

The mounting is nice and it is light and very nicely made etc. Doesn't get too warm and comes with bar or helmet mount so you can have one on the road bike too.

I'm keen to see how close to the claimed burn times I can actually get. As I say, I'll keep this thread alive and will post more info as I go along.

Col

z1ppy

joemarshall
    Wasn't everyone moaning about the cheap torches and saying they'd be no good for mountain biking cos you'd have to swap the battery after an hour on high?

Only sad gits who'd paid too much for the light were saying this… the battery can be changed in 30 seconds or less, how is that a problem?
    But as the new Magicshine light last 3hrs, that 'issue' has been resolved.

teacake
    Free Member

A brilliant ride last night – nice temperature, no wind and the trails are very very dry – it's like living in another country! With regard to the lights. . .

Please bear in mind I am not a lights geek and these comments are about using the light and riding with it, more than how smooth it's beam pattern is or how nicely it's button clicks.

Thoughts:
    The Tesla has IMO the best beam pattern – loads of light out wide, but a nice spot which helps you see further down the trail. The Diablo doesn't have quite as wide a throw, probably due to a smaller reflector head, but it lovely and small and I'm a fan of the redeye rear light – great for commuting. The DX is amazing value, but compared to the others, it has more light in the spot but not so much out wide [cheaper reflector?].

In riding terms, theres not much between them. The DX/Bastid and Tesla deliver a wider beam so work excellently on the handlebar http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2550/3973313117_87d26ba5b8.jpg%5B/img%5D
    DX/Bastid:
    Tesla:

Medium Power:
    Diablo:
    DX/Bastid:
    Tesla:

Low Power:
    Diablo:
    DX/Bastid:
    Tesla:

Exposure Diablo:

I bought this light because I wanted something small/powerful and reliable. I have had problems with lights that have cables before, so Exposure's design was right up my street. The unit has one P7 LED emitter and a single cell battery. Burn time is 1hr on Maxx [700lumens] 3hrs on "ride" and 10 hours on low. There is also a flashy mode which I really like for a change. It's permanetly on, but with a pulse every .5 of a second or so. RRP is £225

My thoughts: The beam has a very good spread when compared to the Joystick. There is a much more usable wide beam, with most of the power being concenrated in a nicely sized spot. It's without a doubt one of the best beam patterns I've seen, though I am not that picky! When compared to the Lupine Tesla, there is not as much light in the wide beam, but the spot seems to be very similar.

The Diablo fits onto the helmet nicely with the same mount as the joystick and doesn't feel heavy when it's on your head. I have it fitted slightly too far forward, so will move it to the vent further back – it feels like it's tipping the helmet forward the whole time.

I used the light with the Redeye rear light – an 80lumen with 20 degree spread. Although the light was aimed fairly upward [due to the shape of the back of my helmet, rear road users still fell within the beam angle.

I was a little disappointed with the burn time of the light, though to be honest I had it on Maxx with the redeye on most of the time so I'm not surprised! I'm not actually confident it was fully charged either! We were out for more than 3 hours and it ran out of just with just a mile to go.

Magicshine/DX Bastid:
    Basically a direct Lupine Tesla copy. This light is 900 lumen on max using the P7 LED, with a 4cell battery and enough cable to the light that you can helmet mount it and put the battery in your bag. There are 5 settings, High, Medium, Low, high flash and SOS [both useless as flashing modes IMO]. Burn time is claimed to be 3hrs on high, 4.5hrs on low. You can get it to your door for £65.

Out of the box it looks very similar and once the light is on it's beam is quite similar to the Lupine. The most noticable thing is that the wide beam does not have as much light compared to the Tesla. Most of the light is concentrated on the spot – which you can see in the photo as the centre is quite burnt out, the Tesla delivers a huge amount of light out wide, but the Bastid doesn't give so much.

Lupine Tesla:
    Very nicely crafted light, which also uses the P7 LED and uses a cable, light, battery arrangement. Output is a claimed 700lumen. The Tesla has 4 settings, High, Medium, Low and flash. The burn time is claimed as 3hrs/9hrs/24hrs. The light is mounted on the bars using an o-ring – much nicer than a velcro strap I think. RRP is £250.

timbur
    Free Member

MMM, Diablo. I commute off-road on the south Downs part of the way home. So far the Joystick MaXx2 has been spot on but I do feel the need for a Diablo now :O)

Good review and pics fella.

Tim

saladdodger
    Free Member

Ah well that looks like 3 happy folk, no one bought a duff light

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Exposure vs Lupine vs DX/Bastid/MagicShine’ is closed to new replies.