Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Exposure Strada off road?
  • benp1

I don’t have one, but am vaguely thinking about justifying one

One issue is that getting one will probably make my commuter bike less useful, as I won’t want to leave it on the bike (whereas I do with my current lights)

I could justify it a bit better if I could swap it between bikes though.

Has anyone used theirs off road? Whats the beam pattern like for that? My off road bar light is very floody. I’d use it with a helmet light (Joystick for commuting, Diablo for off road)

egb81
    Free Member

I’ve used one (a fairly old 600 lumen) off road, combined with a very old Joystick helmet mount, without dying. Can’t say I notice beam pattern much to be honest, there’s plenty enough light to ride with so that’s all I need to care about.

djflexure

Use mine off road occasionally (Mk 6 I think) and it’s been fine. Better if combined with a helmet light – I use a diablo.
    easy to swap between bikes. The low setting is generally enough on the road.

Beam pattern is relatively broad.

Battery level indicator is a great feature

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have one and it’s a fine road light but not really enough punch for offroad, IMO. I’d say go with one of Exposure’s mtb lights then run it on low for the road. Exposures mounting brackets are great though – makes swapping between the bikes a doddle.

fifeandy
    Free Member

One issue is that getting one will probably make my commuter bike less useful, as I won’t want to leave it on the bike (whereas I do with my current lights)

No big deal there at all – the exposure mount really good, light off in about 5secs whilst bracket stays in place.
    Strada should be small enough to comfortably slip in a pocket.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just got the current Strada 1200 at Xmas.

Not used it off-road but I’d say it would be bright enough but would only work as a bar light, definitely requiring a helmet light as well.

freeagent
    Free Member

Strada 1200 owner here.
    Not done any ‘gnarly’ off road with it but for riding around the woods it has been fine, especially where paired with an 800lm joystick on my lid.

The Strada doesn’t have as much ‘throw’ as some of the off-road lights, but a nice wide beam pattern.

I thought long/hard about this, and was close to buying an ‘offroad’ Exposure light (Toro I think) but decided both would be a compromise when used for a different application, and I ride on the road more these days.

benp1

The problem isn’t removing the light, current lights come off easy, it’s the fact I actually have to remove it. It’s just one more thing to do (I leave the bike parked up on the street when I pop into the shops etc

I’ll be getting the Strada 1200, rather than the 800 if I was to get one, which is a fair bit of power. Most of my riding is on lit London roads so I don’t really need one, but it gives me a few options which I would quite like

I’m wondering if the oval shaped beam would be a bit weird off road

benp1

Re off road lights on low, the beam is still too floody, and then isn’t that much use at speed. When you up the output a bit to see the middle then you’ll annoy drivers, or having an annoying spot too close to your front wheel

Conversely, I find the german optics unhelpful when on anything offroad or twisty (eg a twisty tarmac’d cycle path following a stream)

chakaping
    Free Member
    winrya
    Free Member

I’ve just had the same predicament. Ended up going for the toro as every review said it was awesome whether used for road or off road. I’d read a few strada reviews that said it wasn’t that bright. Toro also has a bigger battery so if you run it in equivalent 1200 lumen mode it should last longer

They are matching Evans prices at tredz plus a £20 off code over £150 until Friday so just paid £175 for the £299 Rrp toro

Link to the strada at tredz..

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Exposure-Strada-1200-Rechargeable-Front-Light_96888.htm

Code is SAVE20 btw

Daffy

The Strada 1200 has quite a pointy beam pattern when used on full, so you don’t see much of the trail unless it’s pointed well out in front of you and then you lose the contrast.

I’ve got the 1200 and have a Reflex. the Reflex is MUCH better off road and can be used with a joystick as a helmet light. Offroad with the Strada requires use of my Diablo on the lid to compensate for the lack of flood from the bar.

HTH.

benp1

That helps a lot, thanks. I think I’ll stick with what I have for now then

I’m happy with my off road light at the moment. My lights on my commute bike (Cateye Volt 300 and B&M Ixon Core) are actually pretty good, I just fancied a superfluous upgrade. The above has helped me realise that I should just stick with what I have already!

vincienup
    Free Member

Last time Evans had an Exposure sale I went for a Sirius/TraceR twin pack for my commuter. 550Lm with a sane road pattern is realistically enough for commuter use IMO and it’s £100 odd the pair. The enclosed mount for the Sirius is crap, the light is too heavy for the silicone band style and it’s too bulky for a cramped set of drops. You can just about cram it between stem and end of bar tape under the emerging outers but it’s fiddly and doesn’t stay put – it sags with bumps.

Fortunately the Joystick hotshoe adaptor fits, and this means you can use the Sirius with the standard CNC Alu QR mount Exposure bundle with their bigger lights. This solves all the issues, I just wish it was included in the pack. I use an older MaxxD and a joystick helmet light offroad. The MaxxD is definitely not a suitable light for primary road use, and tbh the Joystick isn’t really a road light either. I’m not really a fan of helmet lights around town though…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I was wondering about the Strada as I ride unlit Cornish back roads to work, my C&B Seen is a bit spotty and I don’t think I would trust the battery as far as I could throw it…. but was looking at the Strada and using the C&B seen as the helmet light.
    Thought I don’t really ride off road at night I wouldn’t mind the option of cutting through Tehidy Woods on the way home.
    Just the price that is putting me off at the mo. The Hope R2i is another option for me but not as good “road” beam pattern from what I can tell.

Cheers, Steve

chakaping
    Free Member

Slightly blurry snap of Strada on full power down a back lane…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

chakaping

Thanks for that image, looks like it will do what I want as I’ve had a few things jump out the hedge at me, badger wasn’t that hard to miss….

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Do these exposure lights (Toro/Strada/Race) have a pulse mode for road commuting?

Like a couple of others I want one light to use both on and off-road and not sure which is most suitable.

benp1

Yes, they have a pulse

Chakaping – that pic helps, but it also appears more floody than I expected. I wonder how the same scene looks when comparing the Strada to one of the off road ones

On their website I still can’t see the obvious difference

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Road.cc has a good comparison tool but it doesn’t really have the off road lights from Exposure.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/212914-updated-your-guide-best-front-lights-cycling-beam-comparison-engine

Cheers, Steve

MarcSussex
    Free Member

The Strada 1200 is currently £166 on wiggle.

Pretty good price, however for mixed on/off road use I think the Toro will suit me better.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Just been looking at the Moon Meteor Storm Pro, a bit brighter than Strada and more pocket friendly….

The Wiggle website photo makes the Strada look a bit pants.

Cheers, Steve

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Strada off road?’ is closed to new replies.