Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Exposure red eye or alternative?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning all,

Just been looking at the a exposure red eye and have a few questions the USA website doesn’t tell me?

How do you turn them in and off? Might sound silly but is it independent of the front light you plug it into?

If so do they have multiple modes E.G flashing etc?

If I have one mounted to the rear of my helmet what will that mean for my joysticks run time approximately?

Are there any other helmet mount rear lights I should consider?

Any help much appreciated and thanks in advance.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

They come on when you turn the front light on.

There are no modes, it’s either on or off.

It takes about 15% off the run time if you have the joystick on full power.

Brilliant fit and forget lights.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

There’s no on off switch, they plug into the battery charging port of your joystick, I’ve got one to backup my lupine rotchlit

Clips nearly into the joystick, no flashing mode, it’s 80 lumens son it sure how it effects run time, don’t think of it as your main rear light, just as a supplementary one

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Exposure-Red-Eye-Rear-Light_33121.htm

BadlyWiredDog

The micro version of the Red Eye is brilliant as a lightweight get you home combination used with a Joystick. The only think wrong with it is that it’s so small it’s very easy to lose. Some sort of tethering mechanism would make sense, but then they’d probably sell fewer of them to replace lost ones…

The downside of the Red Eye generally, is that it plugs into the light’s smartpoint socket, so you csn’t use both that and a supplementary back-up cell.

The engineering and tech behind Exposure lights generally is excellent, though sometimes you wonder if anyone there actually uses the lights. Take the super-bright rear displays on the latest Strada which is the last thing you need shining in your face and the inability to use the standard remote switch with a back-up cell for the same reasons as above,

Not slagging them off, brilliant lights and great customer service ime, but sometimes they miss the obvious.

TiRed

Only really useful on a helmet light. I use it when riding the trike as a nice high up rear light (along with three other rear lights). It’s too bright to have pointing backwards on the bars.

verses

I’m another fan of the RedEye Micro; it’s incredibly bright for its size, with a negligible effect on battery life.

Don’t think I’d use it on its own, but as an additional “high-up, get noticed” light I think it’s excellent.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks guys, yeh I was specifically looking for on the helmet when commuting.

I’ve got 2 flashing rear ones I use on the bike.

Was hoping for a flashing option though 🙁

Any alternatives?

simondbarnes

Only really useful on a helmet light.

Why? I have mine on my seatpost. It’s ace.

BadlyWiredDog

Only really useful on a helmet light. I use it when riding the trike as a nice high up rear light (along with three other rear lights). It’s too bright to have pointing backwards on the bars.

Similarly I’ve found a front light mounted on the seatpost is almost completely useless both on and off road. Not sure why.

benp1

Red Eye Micro gets used a lot. 7% drain on battery apparently (when in use). Does appear to draw current when plugged in and off, but negligible apparently

It’s surprisingly bright for such a small light, good for a nice high up rear light in combination with a seat post/rack/seat stay mounted light

mrblobby
    Free Member

The engineering and tech behind Exposure lights generally is excellent, though sometimes you wonder if anyone there actually uses the lights.

Would agree with this.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I use a red-eye micro for my MTB night rides as my ‘I went this way’ light off-road, and to give some rearward visibility for other road users on the very short sections of tarmac I use, or cross, to get to other good stuff.

Whilst it’s perfect for that, I’d want something brighter and flashy if I was commuting.

simondbarnes

The downside of the Red Eye generally, is that it plugs into the light’s smartpoint socket, so you csn’t use both that and a supplementary back-up cell.

I solve that by plugging it into a Revo 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The micro is fine, but pppllleease don’t put the normal 80 lumen red eye on your helmet. There’s sometimes people on my commute who do this, it’s utterly blinding, especially when waiting behind someone at traffic lights. The joystick is also bad when your on a shared cycle path at night and someone comes the other way with it pointing in your face. They are far more dazzling than car lights. <rant end>

chiefgrooveguru

Red Eye Micro was great. Has anyone seen mine? Too tiny – lost!

Gary_M
    Free Member

The joystick is also bad when your on a shared cycle path at night and someone comes the other way with it pointing in your face. They are far more dazzling than car lights.

How do you know they’re using a joystick?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Exposure red eye or alternative?’ is closed to new replies.