• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pdV6.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Exposure or hope ?
  • europeanbob
    Free Member

Hi guys what you recommend exposure or hope just concerned about the size of the batteries on the hope r8 as opposed to exposure toro or similar

FuzzyWuzzy

Kinda depends what you’re using them for, just general MTB night rides I’d go Exposure every time. I know a few people that have had Hope lights and have been disappointed (for the money). Even if they performed as well as the equivalent Exposure light I still much prefer no cables/external battery.

tuboflard

Exposure. Separate batteries and cables are a faff.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Exposure, had hopes, got a Maxx-D in the CRC sale last year, frikkin awesome retina burning long lasting mega light.

verses

I was using an original Hope Twin (300Lm) for long after its performance had been outshined (groan) and it worked well for many years. For various reasons I decided I’d had enough of external battery packs and treated myself to an Exposure Maxx-D in a sale and it’s excellent. Insanely bright, long lasting battery, solidly build.

I was always very impressed with the Hope, but I prefer the Exposure. Can’t go wrong with either in my opinion.

nixie

If you want an R8 now is probably not a bad time to get one as the R8+ has been announced.

Personally I hate ‘all in one units’ as they are just too big. I like the small light units and the flexibility of having 3 hope lights that I can swap batteries between.

slimjim78
    Free Member

want to carry battery packs around? go Hope.

want to be able to ride by clicking your light in place in less than a second? go Exposure.

As long as Exposure continue to be battery pack free, and offer excellent back-up support, i’ll continue to use them.

chiefgrooveguru

I have loads of other Hope components but I only use Exposure lights. Almost zero hassle (as long as I remember to charge the), great performance.

andrewh
    Free Member

Got both, have a MaxxD, Joystick and Verso from Exposure and two Vision1’s from Hope.
    Joystick/Vision1 is probably a fair comparison, Joystick is brighter, lighter and lasts longer but the Hope has the advantage of running off AA batteries which you can buy almost anywhere at any almost time. I thimk the bigger Hopes have an external battery.
    Both company’s warranty support is excellent.
    I think the lack of faff and the compatibility of all the various gadgets, mounts, chargers etc swings it in favour of Exposure for me, a doddle to use.

iainc

I used Hope for a year or so and swopped to Exposure about 5 yrs back. Won’t be going to another brand in a hurry. I tend to sell them every 18 months and upgrade to newest versions – I use a Joystick on the lid and a MaxxD on the bars.

momo

Another Exposure fanboi here, have a MaxxD on the bars and a Diablo for the helmet.

My usual riding budies both have Hope lights though and I’d have probably bought one for the bars if the shop I bought from had them in stock at the time (would have been an R4 though)

I have just bought an R1 and District set from a guy on here to leave attached to the road bike to save me swapping lights back and forth, will be better qualified to comment once they arrive.

Northwind

Do Exposure do anything that competes with the R8? It’s a monster, one of the best beam patterns I’ve ever seen and tons of power (it’s essentially like 2 of the lights I use, stuck together- and even 1 of those is pretty damn good)

OTOH, it seems to have the traditional Hope defect of no strain relief on the cable? They’ll fix it if it breaks but it’s still a bummer.

pdV6
    Free Member

Had both. Hopes are great but Exposure far easier to live with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Exposure or hope ?’ is closed to new replies.