• This topic has 49 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Exposure MaxxD Mk9
  • benp1

I really like the look of the maxx D and 6 pack, but then reality kicks in

I usually ride with my current light on low, very rarely goes up to medium and almost never on high. Mainly as I bimble and rarely smash down hills. So the light lasts hours! Lighting up the night would be complete overkill

dlr

iainc – sounds quite good but I know I would forget to charge it and I currently get at least triple that out of my older lumicycle with lowering it on fireroads etc (simple via up/down toggle switch). It would be nice not to have the faff of wires everywhere though….

Not being able to manually select the maximum output is a bit of a deal breaker though. Can’t work out why they don’t allow it. On the lumi you can, quick flick up and boost for 2 mins, hold and it will boost until it gets too hot (not an issue this time of year) or battery is running out

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve had a Maxx D mk9 out for half a dozen rides now; it is simply awesome. Think back to when high intensity discharge lights were the think, then along came some quite dim LED lights with remote battery packs….

I believe the MaxxD Mk9 is about as far as the combined tech of ‘all in one’ units against weight/size can go now.

There are so many clever features on this light to make the run time as efficient as possible, but if you are a technophobe like me, just turn it on when it gets dark, set it in low mode for climbing and general trail use, and hit the button again when you want to see onto the next county on the crazy downhill bits.

Even in ‘outshine the sun’ mode it will last longer than most rides do.

Its that good.

STATO
    Free Member

Not being able to manually select the maximum output is a bit of a deal breaker though. Can’t work out why they don’t allow it. On the lumi you can, quick flick up and boost for 2 mins, hold and it will boost until it gets too hot (not an issue this time of year) or battery is running out

Reflex basically puts it on boost as much as it can, only reducing power if it gets too hot or it does not sense any movement or is pointing above horizontal. So as long as you dont want 3200L for climbing a fireroad you’ll get it when you ask for it.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Think back to when high intensity discharge lights were the think, then along came some quite dim LED lights with remote battery packs….

I believe the MaxxD Mk9 is about as far as the combined tech of ‘all in one’ units against weight/size can go now.

Agreed

I remember the HID lights. Quite amusing looking back. LED’s have certainly brought these current lights to their zenith, and Exposure seem top of their game

bonesetter
    Free Member

My Maxx has just arrived 🙂

It’s bigger (and a little heavier) than I expected, with a nice solid well made feel to it

Shining it up the garden it’s very bright. I’m presuming this is manual high mode which is 2300 lumens, and on the trail in reflex mode it will be brighter, going up to max (3200)?

I have a question – if running on either of the first 3 ‘A’ (Reflex) modes, can the light be manually turned down to a low setting?

STATO
    Free Member

Suggest you read the manual (I think they still come with one).

double click for on, takes you to High, press button to cycle to Medium (if applicable), Low and then back to High. When on, hold button for 2sec? for flash. Hold longer for off.

When off hold for 5sec? to enter settings mode. Starts at 1, press to go through, if you dont press for 2sec? it set it in that mode and turns off.

In reflex you will get full lumens if moving, its drops down if not. So to test in garden shake it for 5-10 seconds then rest it on a bin or wall, you can watch it power down as it senses no movement.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks STATO, I’ve pretty much got all that. The included ‘manual’ is very basic and does not include that sort of info, nor does Exposure’s website

I’m just wondering how much manual control you have when in Reflex mode

If I’m on a short rode section in Reflex, I would want to turn it down to low for example

iainc

Bonesetter – when in reflex, just use high, medium etc as you would normally do. I use mine in PGM1 and just toggle it down a bit when stopped etc, or if trying to save some power. As soon as you go back to high the reflex kicks in on its own

STATO
    Free Member

Depends if the road section is uphill or if you are getting all agro with your sprinting 😆

Really though even reduced high is WAY too much to be using on the road if there are other road users around, hell its too much on shared trails where your likely to be meeting other riders. Keep High for techy downhills and if you need a decent amount for riding flat singletrack put it in Medium.

I have a Mk7 (2400L max in reflex) and its rare I use the reflex mode or full beans high, typically in one of the lower power settings with 2 modes for trail and road sections.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Exposure MaxxD Mk9’ is closed to new replies.