Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Exposure Joystick or Diablo? Quick, need one tonight…
  • ask1974
    Free Member

I get the output advantage but what about when using different settings?

Joystick gives 3h on high
    Diablo 3h on medium

Considering the higher output of the Diablo, is ‘medium’ still superior to a Joystick on full burn?

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Yes.

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks Muddyfunster. So in your opinion a better buy? or is a Joystick fine?

br
    Free Member

but you can add a piggyback battery which doubles the joystick time, I guess similar impact on diablo

Either are good as a helmet light.

pedalhead
    Free Member

They have different beam patterns. Diablo has a wider spread, Joystick more of a spot. For a head torch I prefer the Joystick when matched with a bar light, but if it were my only light then I’d go for a Diablo.

convert

I’m in need of a new helmet mounted light. I’ve got an older 225lmn joystick which is just not cutting it with a far more powerful bar mounted light.

I’ve played a lot with exposure lights but I’m struggling to quite see the point of the diablo. Great light and lovely and bright as it is on full power it lasts such a short time I can see myself rarely using the full beam mode much at all. Medium is a little brighter than full on a joystick but not by much. I can also notice a diablo on my head whilst the slightly lighter joystick is hardly noticable atall. Only a small difference mind.

I think I might hang around and wait for the trout “spider” when he launches it. A different league in terms of brightness but also a different league of faff with a tethered battery to deal with.

transapp
    Free Member

Light vs burn time (as per above), Diablo wins. Max light, Diablo wins.
    Do you want to carry the extra weight? Joystick is super light and gives more than enough light.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I use both – Diablo as a bar light & joystick as a helmet light. The Diablo is like a flood basically so very good for lighting the trail in a general sense & its very bright. The joystick is much more of a spot & less bright but excellent as a helmet mount as the ‘spot’ is very useful for picking out detail when I turn my head.

ps I use a single-cell battery for the Diablo & flick between hi & medium.

FuzzyWuzzy

Had a Joystick, now have a Diablo. Makes perfect sense to me, I turn it to full for downhills/fast & twisty bits otherwise it runs on medium (or low if pottering/stopped). Can’t say I notice it any more on my head than I did the Joystick tbh.

seadog99
    Free Member

Very informative blog from an ebay seller

Here

Jas

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Joystick on the Helmet.
    MaxX D on the bars.

Perfect set up IMHO.

slowboydickie

Or for flexibility get a joystick and a £35 white eye. Doubles lumens to 580 and still burns for 1.75 hours on full.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

ask1974

Thanks Muddyfunster. So in your opinion a better buy? or is a Joystick fine?

Considering they are so close in cost, yeah I consider the diablo a better buy. On mid it still chucks out 600 odd lumens and is slightly more floody than the joystick meaning if it’s your only light it’s a bit more useful. Even on the low setting it’ll get you where you need to go, plus you can add a piggy back battery or white eye to the diablo as well.

mrlebowski
    The Diablo is like a flood basically so very good for lighting the trail in a general sense & its very bright.

Actually it’s more of a spot, intended to be helmet mounted. A wider spot than a joystick, but quite narrow when compared with a maxx-d, six pack, vision 4 etc etc.

convert

I’ve played a lot with exposure lights but I’m struggling to quite see the point of the diablo. Great light and lovely and bright as it is on full power it lasts such a short time I can see myself rarely using the full beam mode much at all. Medium is a little brighter than full on a joystick but not by much. I can also notice a diablo on my head whilst the slightly lighter joystick is hardly noticable atall. Only a small difference mind.

Medium or low power for pottering about, full power for fast and twisty stuff. You’d be doing well to get half an hour of technical descent anywhere in the uk. When used like that you can easily get 4 hours out of it. I’ve not once had it run flat on me and have done 3 hours plus.

If you can discern the 20 grams difference between the joystick and the diablo maybe you could get a haircut and negate the difference?

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I think the Diablo pips it based on it’s ability to run alone.

Cheers.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

They have different beam patterns. Diablo has a wider spread, Joystick more of a spot. For a head torch I prefer the Joystick when matched with a bar light, but if it were my only light then I’d go for a Diablo.

That

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Joystick or Diablo? Quick, need one tonight…’ is closed to new replies.